Meezergeezer | Advisor 2 | 09.20.2013 3:05 PM
I am wondering if you already are a Trac fone - i.e have the LG 840 - can I upgrade that phone number with the balance of my minutes to this new ANDROID operating system?

The blurb doesn't say anything about that -

I'm also wondering if I have 1200 minutes left on my LG 840 - when I transfer over to this new operating system/phone - will my 1200 minutes transfer over as 1200 minutes...This deal only gives you 600 minutes and I didn't know if Android minutes counted differently than the regular generic Tracfone minutes...
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
KayoKat | Admirer | 09.24.2013 12:27 PM
I ordered the phone while on special and was wondering if anyone else who ordered it received an email notifying them it shipped. I haven't received my email yet and I'm getting a little nervous about when I'll be receiving it. I'm leaving town on Oct 5th and won't be back for over a month. This is the first thing I've ever ordered from HSN and am wondering if there is a way to get the phone shipped quicker. Anyone know? Thanks.
4kitties | Inspirer 2 | 09.24.2013 9:54 AM
Thank you for info Keriga..

Like I said I'm getting old and cranky..

Needing tools,(stylus etc.) to use a phone
or a tablet..seems to defeat the ease of use for me](*,)
I know one day I will have to probably upgrade to one of these..

Since I do not always have a signal here at the house..
Sometimes I have to down my 300 ft. driveway for a signal.
Living in the mountains and surrounded by trees..
I pretty much only use my phone for emergencies..if we are out..
KERIGA | Inspirer 1 | 09.24.2013 6:20 AM

You're very welcome, mooncat and Meezergeezer. The Centura is going to be my first true smartphone, so I'm going to be learning its inner workings right along with everyone else. It's a simple matter of paying it forward because when I got my first Android tablet, I was ready to pitch the thing after a few frustrating days. There was a wonderful person on this Forum who was so incredibly patient. She answered my questions, offered helpful suggestions and generally got me to the point where I was comfortable with it. I went from wanting to return it to never leaving home without it in less than a week.

I had to laugh mooncat, when you theorized that TracFone Customer Service will be inundated in the next few days as the thousands of HSN buyers begin receiving their new phones. I can tell you from experience that many CSRs are relying on the same manuals that are available to the public online. In fact, in some cases, I found that I knew more about the LG 800g and the LG 840g than the "expert" on the other end of the line.

I'm amazed at how much content we've generated on the Electronics Forum with our LG 840g Q&A. It's pages and pages. As always, I'm happy to help whenever I can. I'll try to do the same with this Galaxy. Since this thread is mainly for the TS and already it looks as if we're going to rival the volume produced on those LG 800g and 840g threads, I'm going to copy the responses that I posted here and transfer them to a new Galaxy Centura 738 thread on the Electronics Forum. That way, after the phones arrive, if anyone has questions, we can explore and learn together without monopolizing this thread. Please post your questions over there.

The main thing to remember is to relax - don't stress - you've got a wonderful, brand new toy in your Galaxy Centura. Play with it; have fun with it. Quite honestly though, I expect it to be a fairly easy transition for those already using other Android devices because the phone has the same OS with widgets and icons. Even if you're upgrading from the LG 840g/LG 800g, there shouldn't be much of a learning curve, because you've already mastered the basics from this semi-smart hybrid phone. If you run into any obstacles, I promise to do my best to help you resolve those issues.

mooncat7 | Admirer 2 | 09.24.2013 4:00 AM
Thank you so much, Keriga, you were just as helpful when I bought my 840G last year. Can you imagine what a zoo it will be at Tracfone as HSN customers start receiving their phones, with over 30,000 sold on Saturday? Mine still says "packaging." Hope that changes to "shipped" tomorrow.

Something I have read several places that people should know if they plan to download a lot of apps. The version of Android that comes with this phone only allows photos, music, movies, etc. to be stored on the optional microSD card. Any downloaded apps are stored on the phone's memory, and it isn't a lot. And I doubt the phone will be upgraded. It's probably why the deal is so good - that, and these are 3G only phones, no 4G. I don't mind - at least it's Android!
Meezergeezer | Advisor 2 | 09.24.2013 1:17 AM
A huge thank you to KERIGA - you were some complete and thorough in answering all of our questions. My husband and I ordered two - pretty excited to get the new Centura phone :smileyhappy:

God bless, be well, Meezer :smileyhappy:
KERIGA | Inspirer 1 | 09.23.2013 7:32 PM

As soon as the clearance prices began appearing on the LG 800g and the LG 840g a few weeks ago, it was abundantly clear that something new and big was about to be introduced. This Samsung Galaxy Centura 738 Smartphone not only met, but exceeded, all expectations.

I'd been checking TracFone's website weekly and still there's nothing. What I noticed were the cut rates on these two former touchscreen stars. The reconditioned LG 800g is listed at $5; the reconditioned LG 840g now sells for $9.99.

It's absolutely true what HSN said about having the Galaxy Centura exclusive. It's not even available yet on TracFone's website.

You can't beat this deal, whether you're a new or existing TracFone customer, where everything rolls over and what are now only Talk minutes suddenly become Text and Data, too.

It's been years since I've purchased an airtime card. I just upgrade my phone every 18-24 months, getting the newest handset with accessories, bonus minutes and this time, that fantastic $25 gift card for the Google Playstore.

I can't wait to get this phone. I feel sorry for anyone who hesitated and missed Saturday's TS (Sept 21st) because today HSN is selling the same package for $149.95, a $20 savings over the MSRP when purchased directly from TracFone or conventional retailers (where it won't be available 'til mid- or late-October), but it's $25 more than the TS price and the ETA is Oct. 7th.

jeannellen your current LG 840g is not a true smartphone, but rather a hybrid built by LG to Tracfone's specifications. I'm sure you've noticed that while it was superior to its immediate predecessor, the LG 800g, there were so many things it simply couldn't do. Limitations regarding access to certain e-mail protocols and restrictions on the size of webpages it could load or even connect with often became frustrating. With this new Galaxy Centura, you'll be able to do everything that you currently do on an Android tablet. In fact, these phones are mini-tablet computers, often referred to a "phablets," for combination phones and tablets. With the 3g Wi-Fi, you won't deplete your stockpile of Data minutes and you can web browse at no cost just like you did on your LG. Always make certain the wi-fi is on and you're connected to a router or hotspot. Of course, if you're not in the vicinity of a freebie hotspot, you'll be able to access the Internet, but it's going to cost you in data mbs.

mooncat7, the best way for existing TracFone customers to port their current number, minutes and airtime to the new phone is to call Customer Service at TracFone. Rather than doing it yourself online, it's good idea to: (1) speak to a TracFone CSR (make sure that you get that CSR's name and ID number as a reference in the event that problems arise). (2) make sure the new phone is fully charged. They tell you that your new cell phone must be turned on during the process, so it's best to (3) call from a landline or another cellphone - not the new one that you're attempting to activate and to which you're porting and transferring. Do NOT turn off the new phone. They'll tell you that it can take up to an hour or more to complete the process. I've done it this way numerous times and it's never taken more than a few seconds to accomplish activation, addition of the bonus minutes and porting my number.

arinta, go to the TracFone website, click Support and click Technical Support followed by FAQs on the drop-down menu. Perhaps someone misspoke in the demo because there doesn't appear to be a third method of phone number porting.

Meezergeezer, you appeared to have some reservations, writing "...I hope if this phone doesn't work out I can transfer the minutes back to my old phone..." Of course, TracFone will allow you go retain your minutes and airtime, as well as re-porting your phone number, if necessary. It's a good idea to: (1) speak to a TracFone CSR (get name and ID number as a reference in the event that problems arise) for help in doing this and (2) make sure you do this before returning the new phone, because you'll be asked for information contained therein. Also note that if you've de-activated the old phone, it may be necessary for TracFone to send you a new SIM card to re-activate, therefore you may find yourself without cell service for several days.

4kitties, you said you're not terribly fond of touchscreen, especially in cold weather. Have you considered using a stylus? I just ordered a mini-stylus for this new Galaxy with a plug on one end that fits snugly in the audio jack, to reduce the chance of losing it. Of course, a screen protector is a must when using a stylus. Were you aware that there are gloves with small pads made of a special fabric at the fingertips that will permit body heat transfer, thereby allow you easy use of your phone, tablet, etc. even in cold weather? Personally, I'd find that cumbersome, so I'd simply prefer to use a stylus. Even when you size the icons and widgets to Normal or Large (some phones even have XLg), there's a tendency to touch more than one, especially if you have long nails.

Linny535, let me see if I can answer your questions. Data is defined as all the webpages you view, as well as songs, games, books, magazines and apps, etc. that you download.

Currently with your LG 840 g, you buy minutes and that translates into voice and text. When you text, 1 voice minute = 3 text messages. The new Samsung will have a 1:1 ratio of voice-to-text, which is still cheaper than a conventional wireless plan. For example, if you had Verizon now, your basic wireless plan of 350 minutes may cost $39.95/month, but you'd have to add a text plan that could cost another $30/month and a data plan that could cost $30+/month.

With TracFone and this new Galaxy Centura 738 smartphone, whenever you buy additional minutes (whether it's an airtime card, online purchase or you add on through the phone), whatever minutes you purchase will triple automatically (e.g. - 200 becomes 600) and they will also split into 3 separate buckets (e.g. - you'll get 600 voice, 600 texts and 600 mbs of data - all for the same price). When you go to a retail outlet, you're not going to see separate cards for data. Simply add the airtime and TracFone does the rest for you.

Remember, too, that just like your LG 840g with Wi-Fi, you won't deplete your data supply if you web browse, download, etc. while using a hotspot or a Wi-Fi router.

BTW - it's a good idea to hang onto your LG 840g as a reserve even after you've activated your new Samsung Galaxy. Suppose your new phone is lost, stolen or damaged. With the old de-activated LG 840g still in your possession, while you're waiting for a replacement Galaxy, you can call TracFone and request that they reactivate the LG (say it's an emergency and they can do it immediately over the phone) or send you a new SIM card to insert in the old phone and bring it back to life with all your minutes and airtime intact temporarily, until your replacement smartphone arrives. Yes, you'll have to switch back eventually, but you won't be left without a phone.

After you've done your Bluetooth transfers, it's also a good idea to leave your CONTACTS and other important info in the old phone that's you've stored carefully in a very secure place until you're absolutely certain that you're going to give it away or recycle it. Then delete your personal information by restoring Factory Settings.

You also asked about buying a new phone from HSN, returning it but keeping the minutes for your old phone. I'm guessing they won't let you do that because the minutes are part of the package. Just buy minutes anywhere from the more than 80,000 retailers nationwide. Or go online or buy minutes through the phone. Often you'll find that Walmart and Target will discount the airtime card. Additionally, unless you tell them to stop, TracFone will bombard you with special offers for airtime, usually coinciding with holidays and back-to-school.

I sincerely hope that clarifies everything for you. If you have additional questions, I'll try to answer them for you.

Linny535 | Admirer 2 | 09.23.2013 6:04 PM
When we buy a new phone with minutes from HSN can we if we change our mind still put minutes on our phone we already have?](*,)
Linny535 | Admirer 2 | 09.23.2013 6:02 PM
8-
so?
Now on my LG840G phone I get triple minutes and I use some up when I text.
With this I will not use minutes but instead dedicated TEXT whatever they are called.
But will the minutes card we buy look the same?
Or will it have all three things on it?
And why on the TracFone website do they sell data phone cards ?
if we buy minutes why do we need the data card?
8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Meezergeezer | Advisor 2 | 09.23.2013 1:16 PM
My husband has the Samsung slider - I'm keeping that as a just in case spare. I had the S390 Samsung and had a bit of problems with it pocket dialing 911 - so I was happy to go with the LG 840 - I'm with you not a huge fan of Touch Screens - for the most part I'm inside - my husband works construction - we'll see how this works out for him. His brother's phone is a touch screen through US Celluar- so I guess we will see.

I hope if this phone doesn't work out I can transfer the minutes back to my old phone...

So very nice to chat with you 4kitties - I'm doing well with my recovery. So happy I had the surgery - a couple of bumps but still very happy I had it done. Now its been 5 weeks~ Yahoo!!

God bless, be well ^..^

Hey 4kitties - have you checked out 297-074 - its for the LG840 - gives you 1400 minutes for $79! This is giving you 200 more minutes for $20 less... plus you have the LG840 as a backup phone. Just a thought :smileyhappy:

Just a heads up for all Tracfone users...
When you are going to but more airtime whether online or the card from the store..Go to Tracfone's website..or "goo-gle" Tracfone bonus codes..They have bonus codes that you can add on..but you need that code..I'm "techno-challenged"..I usually call their CS..without problems..and giving them that bonus code plus the card code..it goes and and all my other minutes roll over..
I buy a 1 year card with 400 minutes which triples with my phone..Plus there was a bonus code..for an extra 200 minutes..The bonus minutes don't double or triple though..
Hey every minute helps!..I've been doing it for years..

P.S. There are bonus codes ..for most of their other airtime cards..write down a couple in case one might have expired..

I'm not crazy about touch screens.. I Especially have problems with them in the cold weather..I know Meezer..you live up north too..By the way I hope you are feeling much better!
I live in the mountains and a lot of times I don't have service in my house..although my Tracfone has better service here than my kid's contract phones..when they visit.
I'll hold on to my older Samsung slider for now..Probably until I'm kind of forced into a touch screen..
Guess I'm just getting old and cranky..LOL
arinta | New Friend | 09.21.2013 9:12 PM
The tv presentation said there are three ways to transfer your phone number. I know about calling Tracfone or going to Tracfone.com. But I did not understand what was the third way by using a card. Can anyone explain that further? Thanks.
4kitties | Inspirer 2 | 09.21.2013 7:13 PM
Hey 4kitties - have you checked out 297-074 - its for the LG840 - gives you 1400 minutes for $79! This is giving you 200 more minutes for $20 less... plus you have the LG840 as a backup phone. Just a thought :smileyhappy:

When you are going to but more airtime whether online or the card from the store..Go to Tracfone's website..or "goo-gle" Tracfone bonus codes..They have bonus codes that you can add on..but you need that code..I'm "techno-challenged"..I usually call their CS..without problems..and giving them that bonus code plus the card code..it goes and and all my other minutes roll over..
I buy a 1 year card with 400 minutes which triples with my phone..Plus there was a bonus code..for an extra 200 minutes..The bonus minutes don't double or triple though..

P.S. There are bonus codes ..for most of their other airtime cards..write down a couple in case one might have expired..

I'm not crazy about touch screens.. I Especially have problems with them in the cold weather..I know Meezer..you live up north too..By the way I hope you are feeling much better!
I live in the mountains and a lot of times I don't have service in my house..although my Tracfone has better service here than my kid's contract phones..when they visit.
I'll hold on to my older Samsung slider for now..Probably until I'm kind of forced into a touch screen..
Guess I'm just getting old and cranky..LOL
posiexyz | Visitor | 09.21.2013 6:07 PM
Arty01: I get the impression the pocket dialing problem / 911 calls is an issue specific to the Samsung S390. I bought the same phone last year in Dec. and have had the same problem. It's a shame because otherwise, it's been a good, basic phone! I'm hoping since this new one has a touch screen, this will avoid the auto dialing of 911! I have to renew my minutes in Dec. anyway, so I'm looking at this one as an upgrade.
toriat | Admirer 3 | 09.21.2013 5:15 PM
Pocket dialing has been an issue in my family. To avoid pocket dialing, after finishing a call, always bring the phone back to its home screen. Pocket dialing occurs after you have talked to someone and you leave the screen with their number still on it and do not go back to the home screen. Then if you press on it it dials the number. So if you always get out of that screen and go back to the home screen you will not have so called pocket dialing.
Arty01 | New Friend | 09.21.2013 4:07 PM
Question for those who own these "touch-screen" type of phones...
I bought the Samsung Galaxy S390 Tracfone they offered about one -year ago. Despite the phone being decent, with good service, the pocket-dialing issue has been a nightmare and I've spent the last year carrying it around in fear of yet another 9-1-1 callback (and, no...locking it doesn't help.)

Do these types of phones have that issue when you carry in your pants pocket and/or accidentally lean against a counter for more than three seconds. My one-year is up and this one looks pretty good, but I'm definitely leaning toward going back to a standard flip-phone...

Thanks!
Meezergeezer | Advisor 2 | 09.21.2013 3:31 PM

NANCY0424 | Admirer | 09.21.2013 1:52 PM
Melissa said you can use your same phone number and if your a Tracfone customer, your existing minutes will be rolled over to this phone. So in other words, if you have 200 minutes on your existing phone, they will be put on this new phone and tripled. You will have 200 for talk, 200 for text and 200 for data, plus the 600 that is coming with the phone. This is amazing. You can just use this phone at home using your own wifi or when you are out at a hotspot( like a Mc Donald's) and now your data will be free, just like the lg840.
mooncat7 | Admirer 2 | 09.21.2013 1:32 PM
I've seen two presentations now, and unlike when I purchased the LG840G, they have not discussed the procedure for current owners to keep their phone number and get their minutes rolled over, as they have done in presentations of previous phones. Reps if you are reading this forum, please talk about this on-air.
jeannellen | Admirer 3 | 09.21.2013 10:42 AM
I have several questions concerning the Galaxy Centura that I am hoping someone can provide answers.
I currently have the LG 840 tracphone. I can access the internet from any hotspot and not have it deduct any minutes. How does that differ with the Samsung Galaxy Centura?? Do I use data minutes to access the internet and, therefore, using the internet is not free with this phone?
Also, does it use only wifi signal found at hotspots (like McDonalds etc) to access the internet or can I access the internet from anywhere? I am not tech savy and do not quite understand all of this 'new' technology.
Am just trying to figure out what is better with this Galaxy Centura phone and what are the added benefits of using this phone over the LG840 I currently have. Especially since I don't use any minutes to access the internet but with the Galaxy It seems that I am using minutes only it is called data.
4kitties | Inspirer 2 | 09.21.2013 10:20 AM

Meezergeezer | Advisor 2 | 09.21.2013 4:08 AM
Looks like everything rolls over - neat. I think rather than buying the 400 minute card for the 1 year service with Trac Fone would be better to buy 297-074 and get the 1400 minutes (200 minutes more) for $79 rather than $99 with the 400 minutes/for a year card.

I won't have to do that because I already have minutes and a year and half left on my phone...Straight Talk has this phone - looks like it gets decent ratings. I have this wallet/cell phone - very nice quality - leather too boot - I think I paid a wee bit more - great price - 206-328

Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Advisor 2
Meezergeezer

Saturday TSV - 293-555 Samsung Samsung Galaxy Centura Android TracFone

I am wondering if you already are a Trac fone - i.e have the LG 840 - can I upgrade that phone number with the balance of my minutes to this new ANDROID operating system?

The blurb doesn't say anything about that -

I'm also wondering if I have 1200 minutes left on my LG 840 - when I transfer over to this new operating system/phone - will my 1200 minutes transfer over as 1200 minutes...This deal only gives you 600 minutes and I didn't know if Android minutes counted differently than the regular generic Tracfone minutes...
Please use plain text.
Advisor 2
Meezergeezer

RE: Saturday TSV - 293-555 Samsung Samsung Galaxy Centura Android TracFone

Looks like everything rolls over - neat. I think rather than buying the 400 minute card for the 1 year service with Trac Fone would be better to buy 297-074 and get the 1400 minutes (200 minutes more) for $79 rather than $99 with the 400 minutes/for a year card.

I won't have to do that because I already have minutes and a year and half left on my phone...Straight Talk has this phone - looks like it gets decent ratings. I have this wallet/cell phone - very nice quality - leather too boot - I think I paid a wee bit more - great price - 206-328

Please use plain text.
Inspirer 2
4kitties

Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
jeannellen

I have several questions concerning the Galaxy Centura that I am hoping someone can provide answers.
I currently have the LG 840 tracphone. I can access the internet from any hotspot and not have it deduct any minutes. How does that differ with the Samsung Galaxy Centura?? Do I use data minutes to access the internet and, therefore, using the internet is not free with this phone?
Also, does it use only wifi signal found at hotspots (like McDonalds etc) to access the internet or can I access the internet from anywhere? I am not tech savy and do not quite understand all of this 'new' technology.
Am just trying to figure out what is better with this Galaxy Centura phone and what are the added benefits of using this phone over the LG840 I currently have. Especially since I don't use any minutes to access the internet but with the Galaxy It seems that I am using minutes only it is called data.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
mooncat7

I've seen two presentations now, and unlike when I purchased the LG840G, they have not discussed the procedure for current owners to keep their phone number and get their minutes rolled over, as they have done in presentations of previous phones. Reps if you are reading this forum, please talk about this on-air.
Please use plain text.
Admirer
NANCY0424

Melissa said you can use your same phone number and if your a Tracfone customer, your existing minutes will be rolled over to this phone. So in other words, if you have 200 minutes on your existing phone, they will be put on this new phone and tripled. You will have 200 for talk, 200 for text and 200 for data, plus the 600 that is coming with the phone. This is amazing. You can just use this phone at home using your own wifi or when you are out at a hotspot( like a Mc Donald's) and now your data will be free, just like the lg840.
Please use plain text.
Advisor 2
Meezergeezer

Please use plain text.
New Friend
Arty01

Question for those who own these "touch-screen" type of phones...
I bought the Samsung Galaxy S390 Tracfone they offered about one -year ago. Despite the phone being decent, with good service, the pocket-dialing issue has been a nightmare and I've spent the last year carrying it around in fear of yet another 9-1-1 callback (and, no...locking it doesn't help.)

Do these types of phones have that issue when you carry in your pants pocket and/or accidentally lean against a counter for more than three seconds. My one-year is up and this one looks pretty good, but I'm definitely leaning toward going back to a standard flip-phone...

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
toriat

Pocket dialing has been an issue in my family. To avoid pocket dialing, after finishing a call, always bring the phone back to its home screen. Pocket dialing occurs after you have talked to someone and you leave the screen with their number still on it and do not go back to the home screen. Then if you press on it it dials the number. So if you always get out of that screen and go back to the home screen you will not have so called pocket dialing.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
posiexyz

Arty01: I get the impression the pocket dialing problem / 911 calls is an issue specific to the Samsung S390. I bought the same phone last year in Dec. and have had the same problem. It's a shame because otherwise, it's been a good, basic phone! I'm hoping since this new one has a touch screen, this will avoid the auto dialing of 911! I have to renew my minutes in Dec. anyway, so I'm looking at this one as an upgrade.
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
44 Replies
09.20.2013 3:05 PM
0 Smiles
20 in Conversation

How can we help? Call or email us anytime... really!

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...