Admirer
elruth

Now charging tax on items ordered online

Just a head's up re: HSN's latest policy. As of Sept 1st they are now charging tax on items ordered from the internet. I know they always had charged tax if you called them but that's why I ordered online due to no tax. Wonder why they changed their policy?
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
Anonymous7777

RE: Now charging tax on items ordered online

I pay sales tax on HSN purchases because I live in Florida now, but I didn't pay any when I lived in North Carolina because HSN did not have a physical presence there (warehouse or distribution center). Although in NC we were SUPPOSED to pay it when we filed our state income tax returns. Of course, nobody paid it, so now NC and other states are suing (or whatever) to get websites to collect the sales tax for online purchases. As for North Carolina, I read that the lost sales tax revenue was in the millions. In these economic times, I'm really not surprised that they are doing this.

Hope this makes sense. I really don't know what the federal law is about this stuff.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
shoppingismylife

#-o I hate to hear this. With shipping and tax I will not be ordering as much as I have in the past. This is the reason I hardly order from the other shopping network.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
LLAMA

I am not sure if this is the case with every state but in Texas you get charged tax on the shipping and handling as well so this can really add up!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
Payroll0216

I placed an order yesterday and was not charged sales tax & I'm in CT

I never understood why QVC charges sales tax in EVERY State since they are in PA and MAYBE have a warehouse or warehouses elsewhere BUT definately not in CT
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
AmazonDeb

I placed an order yesterday and was not charged sales tax & I'm in CT

I never understood why QVC charges sales tax in EVERY State since they are in PA and MAYBE have a warehouse or warehouses elsewhere BUT definately not in CT

When QVC did their 50 in 50 Tour with the bus back in the mid 1990's, they had to establish a "business" in each state....from that point on they could charge sales tax.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
JODIEBLON

I asked on the QVC Board if anyone from Texas had been charged sales tax on a recent online order & a few of them said "no", so hope that is still the case.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
DestinyJo

I'm in CA and I always pay tax here and at the Q. I don't pay tax at JTV and Shopnbc. Sales tax is ridiculous. First they tax our paychecks and then our purchases. I don't know about other states but at least they don't charge tax on food here.
Please use plain text.
Admirer
barb1040

I don't know what state you are in, but it is possible that your state amended it's sales tax laws. One or two years ago, New York began requiring online retailers to collect sales tax for all purchases made by New York residents. The old law only required sales tax if the retailer had a brick and mortar presence in the state, but the new law says that if the online retailer does business with any VENDORS in the state, than they are required to collect sales tax. It was nice while it lasted, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to avoid sales tax with online purchases these days.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
AmazonDeb

I placed an online order here last night and was NOT charged sales tax (Indiana).
Please use plain text.

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.