JazzNJava | Admirer | 02.01.2013 2:45 PM
A few days ago, I signed in to my account to print out the return forms for a couple of items purchased during the "extended holiday return" period. The system stated it was "too late" to return the items.

As you all know, we were informed by host after host that we had until January 31st to return the items.
The policy states: "Place your holiday gift orders with HSN or HSN October 15 - December 21 and you can return your items for a full refund until January 31, 2013."

I contacted HSN Customer Service to find out why I was receiving the " too late" notice. I was told the extended holiday returns "must be RECEIVED in the HSN warehouse by January 31, 2013".

Customer Service's final response: Sorry for the misunderstanding".

There is a difference between my return date and the date of their receipt at HSN. The normal HSN return policy states "30-day Satisfaction Guarantee -- you may return the item within 30 days of the date of receipt for a full refund including the original shipping and handling."

Following the same logic as what I was told concerning their extended holiday return policy, the normal return policy would require the item to be RECEIVED by HSN within 30 days, which is not the case-- unless the hosts are untruthful about it as well ( "try it for 30 days", " You have 30 days to decide..", etc. etc.).

Class action, anyone?
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
rena347 | Inspirer 3 | 02.14.2013 7:26 PM
If the answer to get a response is to post on Facebook then any of us who don't have a Facebook account are just out of luck.
JazzNJava | Admirer | 02.14.2013 2:39 PM
I have discovered that posting on HSN's Facebook page elicits a prompt response -- and appears to be much more "customer-friendly" in their understanding and resolve of issues.

HSN has done their best to hide this Community Forum from customers. On the other hand, Facebook
is easily accessed and more widely read --most likely why HSN focuses their energy on that "forum"!

Next time you have an issue, post it on HSN Facebook !
FritzieBlue | Inspirer 2 | 02.13.2013 6:35 AM
Last year (or the year before?) HSN observed the postmarked date policy. I mailed back three items on the same day, but one was returned to me with a note saying it was not received in time. Customer Service was not helpful. I offered to mail them my receipt with the postmarked date with the item, but was refused. There must be a better system!
ariel5 | Admirer 3 | 02.05.2013 5:07 PM
JazzNJava,

I was under the same understanding re: 1/31/13. It is a 'change' in their Holiday Return Policy. I didn't check the return policy for the Holiday since it's been that way & as you stated: The hosts, selling products during the Holiday period - you have until 1/31/13 to Return.

I can't tell you how many emails I sent - frustrated with the responses & no mention re: the 'change', only repeated the return policy - it didn't matter what I wrote. Finally, a nice Supervisor did acknowledged the 'change' - if not for him & allowing an extension, think I would have closed my acct. based on the principal of the matter since it's a few returns.

Reading on this Thread what the Holiday Return Policy stated: would have been helpful if Hsn added - to arrive at Warehouse on 1/31/13 - give a 'date' when the Customer needs to ship the item/items so it arrives at Warehouse on 1.31.13. (even though, I wouldn't have looked since the Hosts were giving the return date 'on air' the same as it's always been (not, at warehouse by 1.31.13). I wonder re: those who don't shop online & only by t.v.

Lastly, I don't ship to relatives, & there is one gift, I am waiting till his 'visit' this month since it turned out, he was unable to visit during the holidays - it's a Christmas/b'day gift & I would like to 'see' his expression as I hope it is
something special to him =d> Ironic, it was the most expensive of my purchases. If it doesn't fit, I have to accept 'in this case' since it's far out from the return date.

Ibby: thanks for your suggestion re:return suggestion. (in general)

IbbyB | Inspirer 2 | 02.03.2013 12:45 AM
I send the returns back to hsn myself- and get delivery confirmation so I know (& have proof) when they receive it back. Their easy returns take forever - I only use it if hsn has waived the return fee for some reason!! I can't trust their system since so many of their systems don't function properly these days.
JazzNJava | Admirer | 02.02.2013 8:19 PM
Yes.... and only the first line of the policy was ever stated on-air.. repeatedly.

I mailed a parcel via USPS In December and was given Dec 21 as the estimated delivery date. The actual delivery date was Dec 27.

Wonder if HSN will be sending back returns that arrived after Jan 31?
MsLomo | Advisor 2 | 02.02.2013 2:09 AM
Here is the way the extended return policy is worded.

Place your holiday gift orders with HSN or HSN.com October 15 - December 21 and you can return your items for a full refund until January 31, 2013.

Any order you place between October 15 at 12:00am ET and December 21 at 11:59pm ET can be returned or exchanged (while supplies last) as long as it is received in our warehouse by January 31, 2013 (unless otherwise noted).

Confusing policy. One sentence says you can return your items until January 31, and the other says that the item must be received in HSN's warehouse by January 31. But how would we know when the item has been received in the HSN warehouse? The Track Easy Returns section doesn't have any information (except for the tracking number) when you click the "Track Return" link. I tried to track a return today and there wasn't any information there.

My two cents is that they should stick with a 1/31/13 sender postmark date, since that can be verified.
JazzNJava | Admirer | 02.02.2013 12:10 AM
Not sure what their system recognizes - the new HSN.com has several "known' issues, including not showing a customer's full order history. Also understand there are issues with the system recognizing the "free shipping" codes won on the " Spin To Win" holiday game. Even while shopping, I have clicked on an item's ' Preview" link only to be directed to an "Oops!" page!

Thank you for stating the policy used to be January 31 as " postmarked by" and not "received in the HSN warehouse". It still "reads" that way (and with mail delivery, how could a customer accurately predict the date of receipt in the HSN warehouse?) It is obvious HSN would rather have a return policy that sounds generous than one that is clear such as "Mail your return BY January 15th to insure it is received in our warehouse by January 31".

IbbyB | Inspirer 2 | 02.01.2013 3:48 PM
Is that 'return' link in the system even set up to recognize holiday returns?? I didn't try this year- but I know in the past there were issues. This week I spoke with a Supervisor and got them to okay a holiday return that was going to be postmarked Jan 30. I explained in the past the item just needed to be postmarked by the 31st- so they allowed it. Hopefully the item doesn't get sent back to me! I have their okay in writing though.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
New Friend
AUSSIEGAL

RE: HSN’s extended holiday return policy -- PROBLEM!

What is the policy for this year - 2013? When does it start? Do we have to have it back into HSN warehouse by Jan 31st, 2014? I cannot find it on the website anywhere, even though the hosts are talking about it.
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Advisor 3
Lindascoffee

These are certainly valid concerns because it involves a great deal of shipping costs. Possibly this issue should be cleared up when hosts tell the public they have an extended return date to clarify what that means and STOP misinforming the viewer. Tell the public what is exactly expected of them when returning. This is only fair to the viewer and keeps the integrity of Hsn's extended return policy.
Please use plain text.
Manager HSN
Manager
HSN

What is the policy for this year - 2013? When does it start? Do we have to have it back into HSN warehouse by Jan 31st, 2014? I cannot find it on the website anywhere, even though the hosts are talking about it.
Thanks

Hi AUSSIEGAL - We're happy to extend our return policy so you can confidently give gifts during the Holiday season. Items ordered from October 4 through December 24, 2013, can be returned for a refund to the original form of payment until January 31, 2014. Returns would need to arrive in the warehouse by that date. Gift recipients will receive store credit. Food, beverage, wine & personalized item purchases are excluded.

You can get the full details by clicking on the pink "Extended Holiday Returns" banner on any qualifying item's page. We hope you'll make HSN your favorite destination for Holiday gifts, AUSSIEGAL.
It’s fun here!
Please use plain text.
Pro 1
pipman

So...just to be real clear:

MUST be back in a HSN warehouse by (I would say BEFORE) January 31, 2014...be sure to allow PLENTY
of time for UPS, FedEx, USPS to get your shipments there.

and

applies to "qualifying" purchases.

and

you're still gonna have to suck up the shipping.

OK...got it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor 3
Lindascoffee

I reiterate, the show hosts have got to be less ambiguous about the holiday return policy and make it clear, the item has to be in the warehouse before the due date and the time clock starts when the item is shipped. Why can't they clarify this issue once and for all and be honest with the viewer on the show. It's deceiving for the host to give the impression otherwise. I would rather know the EXACT time limit I have to make sure the item is returned on time than guess when the actual due date is.
Please use plain text.
Pro 1
pipman

I reiterate, the show hosts have got to be less ambiguous about the holiday return policy and make it clear, the item has to be in the warehouse before the due date and the time clock starts when the item is shipped. Why can't they clarify this issue once and for all and be honest with the viewer on the show. It's deceiving for the host to give the impression otherwise. I would rather know the EXACT time limit I have to make sure the item is returned on time than guess when the actual due date is.

Exactly!

I'm very good at playing within the "lines", as long as the lines are crystal clear and don't mysteriously change on me. Hint, hint HSN (and Q too).
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
JEWELME

Re: RE: HSN’s extended holiday return policy -- PROBLEM!

If you look on the website under shipping policies, they list the specifics regarding the 2013 Extended Holiday Returns Policy.  It clearly states, in bold print that returns must be received in the warehouse by January 31st.  That is a clear explanation, and I feel that is a very generous return policy, that not many stores would allow, so I am grateful for it!  Thank you HSN!!!

Everyone has the will to win but only a few have the will to prepare
Please use plain text.
New Friend
Jag2005

Re: HSN’s extended holiday return policy -- PROBLEM!

Have you noticed HSN will not let you use the easy return for extended returns. I guess it is their way of punishing anyone who tries to take advantage of their offer. Gotcha! What a petty bunch

Please use plain text.
Manager HSN
Manager
HSN

Jag2005 wrote:

Have you noticed HSN will not let you use the easy return for extended returns. I guess it is their way of punishing anyone who tries to take advantage of their offer. Gotcha! What a petty bunch

As long as your order came with an EZ Return Label, you would definitely be able to use it for your return, @Jag2005.  Some items however don't come with EZ Return Labels as they are shipped directly from one of our partner's warehouses.  If you have any questions regarding a return, please let us know and we'll be happy to help. 

It’s fun here!
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 3
rena347

Jag2005, I used the easy return labels for all of my holiday returns.

I wasn't really paying attention when I put the return labels on the boxes for my holiday returns so I did receive a surprise. I took 4 packages to the local UPS office which is only 5 minutes from my home. The lady who checked them in asked me if I knew that 3 were routed to be returned by UPS and one by the post office. I told her I didn't even realize the labels were different and apologized. I told her that I would take the one package to the post office which is on the other side of town. She said - no worries, she makes a delivery to the post office every day and she would take it for me. That was really nice of her as she didn't have to do that for me. All 4 packages returned to HSN without any problem.

Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
33 Replies
02.01.2013 2:45 PM
0 Smiles
15 in Conversation

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...