Manager HSN
Manager
HSN

RE: HSN’s extended holiday return policy -- PROBLEM!

We certainly want to clear any confusion about our 2012 Holiday Return Policy and we will share your feedback to try to express the policy more clearly in the future.

Last year, the Extended Holiday Return covered selected items purchased during the Christmas in July event, the Andrew Lessman 16th Anniversary celebrations and any orders placed between October 15 - December 21, 2012. These orders could be returned for a full refund as long as they were received in our warehouse by January 31, 2013 (unless otherwise noted). January 31 was the return by date not the postmarked return date.

Due to the many variables to be considered, your shipper can best suggest how long any item would take to be received by a certain date. We really appreciate your comments and hope this information is helpful.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 3
DubuqueRams

HSNhelp, I think the problem may be that people think that sending the item back IS returning it. Therefore, if the item is sent on its way by Jan. 31, they have returned it by Jan. 31. The hosts and hostesses often say that "You have untiil Jan. 31 to decide if you want to keep this." Obviously that's not true. They need to be told to tell what the return policy really is. I know that I understood what they said to mean that I needed to SEND it by Jan. 31.

Does this same interpretation apply to the "You have 30 days to decide if you want to keep it" too? Does that 30 days start when you start packaging it, send it or when I receive it. Do you receive a notification as to when I receive it, especially with the combined UPS, USPS shipping method which can add days to the actual delivery?

I think clarifying the return policy accurately by having CS say it as part of their spiel when an order is placed via phone, having it visible on the online order page AND especially having the hosts and hostesses state it accurately would prevent having angry (perhaps ex-) customers.

I STILL DO NOT KNOW HOW THE 30 DAY RETURN POLICY REALLY WORKS, OR SHOULD I SAY,WHEN IT REALLY MEANS IT HAS TO BE SENT OR RECEIVED. When do you start counting the 30 days and do you need to RECEIVE it withing 30 days of that date. The holiday policy, as unclear as it is, at least gave the date. Regular purchases made during the year don't even do that. Could you please clarify? I think the people want to comply with the guidelines and get the exchange or refund. They just don't understand rules with the mixed messages.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 3
MsLomo

DubuqueRams, hi! I think you hit it on the head, and I agree with you.

HSNhelp,
" ... and we will share your feedback to try to express the policy more clearly in the future" was the best part of your reply about the 2012 Holiday Return Policy. How would a customer--or even a shipper-- know with complete accuracy when an item has been received in HSN's warehouse? The only way to handle returns by a certain date is a postmark or ship date; there's no ambiguity because it's either shipped by a certain date or it is not, and both parties have the same information. Bam, done.

The 2012 Holiday Return Policy is yet another baffling move by HSN. Other examples are this untested-before-launch, malfunctioning new website, and--much more serious than baffling or irritating--the "$1.99 shipping on all clearance under $20" when certain items under $20 were charged higher shipping. This is a big no-no and should be brought to the attention of HSN's legal department ASAP.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 3
DubuqueRams

Hi, right back at you, MsLomo!! You added an important point about no one on the sending end really knowing when it would be received. You are correct that the shipping date is the only nonambiguous benchmark. Thanks for you input.

I wasn't aware of the clearance item shipping charge problem, but I certainly WAS aware of the problems with the launch of the redesign. I have been happy to see that, contrary to early posts which were boilerplate, more recent posts by HSNhelp have attempted to be more specific to the poster'z comments. They also seemed to have more follow through and many problems have actually been resolved.
Please use plain text.
Manager HSN
Manager
HSN

Hi MsLomo and DubuqueRams -

The 30-day trial period begins on the day the item is delivered to you. If you are ever unsure of the time remaining, you can contact Customer Service and we’ll be happy to assist you.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 3
MsLomo

Thank you, HSNhelp, for your reply. Would you please pass on our suggestion for tweaking the 2013 Holiday Return Policy. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Admirer
JazzNJava

Here is the holiday return policy for another home shopping channel:

ShopNBC Extended Christmas Return Policy - We’ve extended our 30-Day Return Policy for the holidays so you can Shop with Confidence. Enjoy extended returns and exchanges through January 31, 2013 on all items purchased September 29, 2012 through Christmas. Returns must be postmarked by January 31, 2013 to qualify. Valid on all items except mattresses. All other standard return policy terms apply.

See how easy it is to be clear, HSN?: "Returns must be postmarked by January 31, 2013 to qualify."
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 3
MsLomo

Wow, JazzNJava, that holiday return policy sounds very uncomplicated and clear! It really makes sense!! How about that!
Please use plain text.
Admirer
JazzNJava

MsLomo - I think the same person that designed and/or approved the new HSN website must have also written their holiday return policy! ](*,)

As for the new website, I wonder if we will ever be able to choose to view "all items"..or must we click through page after page? And how about a "compare" feature? Both of these have been standard features for years on nearly all sites. I think their re-design is a classic case of form before function ... a design for pleasing appearance being their primary focus.

Please use plain text.
Manager HSN
Manager
HSN

MsLomo - I think the same person that designed and/or approved the new HSN website must have also written their holiday return policy! ](*,)

As for the new website, I wonder if we will ever be able to choose to view "all items"..or must we click through page after page? And how about a "compare" feature? Both of these have been standard features for years on nearly all sites. I think their re-design is a classic case of form before function ... a design for pleasing appearance being their primary focus.

Hi JazzNJava - We continue to work to roll out enhanced HSN site features and customer suggestions are an important consideration for the ongoing site development. We are planning to add the function to view all items on one page to the site, however, we do not have an estimated completion date at this time. We will post on the >hdrd226< thread when the View All feature is added. We appreciate your suggestions and hope you will continue to send your feedback.
Please use plain text.

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.