ValerieAnne | Admirer 1 | 11.06.2011 4:50 AM
I've been thinking of applying for either a Credit Card or an HSN card. I was curious to what YOU think the benefits of each are? Do you use them?Also, do either of them help you build your credit?

I'm sorry I didn't know where to put this.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
GraceBailey | Admirer 1 | 12.23.2011 5:40 AM
No there is no fee to pay online. You just need to make sure to pay it a few days ahead of time,as it takes 2-3 days to process.

Checked the FAQ on the card site today while checking my balance, though updated they state that a fee may be applied but will notify you of the amount before a payment goes through.

I opened an account last month so I could get the $20 discount and apply it to a purchase I was making. I paid my bill online, and wasn't charged a fee for the payment that I generated. In fact, because of the "horror stories" I have been hearing, I went online as soon as my account closed out for the month and just paid the balance. I hadn't even gotten my statement yet. I had absolutely no problems.

I know they state that a fee may be applied, but I don't think it applies to normal online payments that you generate. Maybe it applies to payments that you make too close to the due date, or payments by phone, etc. Call the credit card company and ask them for details.

As far as opening new credit cards, or closing credit cards, your credit score doesn't really take that big of a hit, if you have a good rating. I wouldn't close very old lines of credit, as they count the most. But, for the most part, if you have a good credit score, these moves are a wash after about 6 months. Since I'm not planning on taking out a mortgage or a car loan in the next 6 months, I couldn't care less about a couple of points.
Erniee | Admirer | 12.22.2011 1:46 PM
No there is no fee to pay online. You just need to make sure to pay it a few days ahead of time,as it takes 2-3 days to process.

Checked the FAQ on the card site today while checking my balance, though updated they state that a fee may be applied but will notify you of the amount before a payment goes through.
Mishkyn | Admirer 3 | 11.23.2011 2:55 PM
I got my HSN charge card several years ago when they used to regularly offer certain items at 10 per cent off if you used their charge card. That has not happened in years, now the only benefit is a $10 discount with your first purchase, and an addition flex pay on some items.

Every time you get a new charge card--of any type: store, bank, etc--your credit rating goes down--as much as 20 points. The reasoning is that you need to spread your payments over more cards. Stinky, but true.

About online bill payments: I use my AmEx card and the bills are credited immediately.
scarlett811 | Admirer 3 | 11.13.2011 3:06 PM
Erniee | Admirer | 11.13.2011 2:42 PM
Are you positively sure there are no fees for paying online? I have been sending in payments via mail because upon reading the Bill Payment Agreement, it states within the Fees section that a $15 is charged for online payments.
rena347 | Inspirer 3 | 11.07.2011 1:49 AM
I have had an HSN card since February. I originally applied for it because I wanted to purchase a desktop computer and they offered zero finance charges if you paid it off within 9 months. This worked out well for me because the computer was $900 so I paid $100 per month and paid it off last week. To me, it was like a flex pay without any interest charges.

The reason I went with an HSN card instead of the master card was due to already having other credit cards. I use my HSN card only for HSN purchases which makes it very easy to track my spending. HSN does offer flexpay on more items if you use the HSN card and I always take advantage of that perk. To be honest, I thought there would be coupons with the HSN card but they are few and far between. One special event that saved me over $50 dollars was the $5.00 jewelry shipping option that was offered on November 3. You only had to pay $5.00 for any jewelry items purchased that day. I purchased 11 items for Christmas gifts (between $10 and $30). I saved over $50 in shipping charges. I haven't received them yet but hope they all work out!

One thing that I have seen people complain about in the past with the HSN credit cards is mailing the payment in and getting credit after the due date so they have to pay a late charge. I always pay my payment on line on the due date and have never experienced any problems with the payment being credited on the correct date. There is also no fee for paying online. I know that this card isn't for everyone but it has worked out well for my needs.
debsashoppin | Admirer 2 | 11.06.2011 2:31 PM
I've been thinking of applying for either a Credit Card or an HSN card. I was curious to what YOU think the benefits of each are? Do you use them?Also, do either of them help you build your credit?

I don't have an HSN credit card, but have heard many horror stories about it. Some examples include exorbant (& premature) late charges, high interest rates, overcharges, etc. IMO, your best bet is getting a major credit card through your bank & using that to pay for your HSN purchases, or just using your debit card/Paypal. That way, you can avoid spreading your finances too thinly.
I hope this helps, Debs
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Admirer 1
ValerieAnne

HSN Card/Credit Card

Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
debsashoppin

RE: HSN Card/Credit Card

I don't have an HSN credit card, but have heard many horror stories about it. Some examples include exorbant (& premature) late charges, high interest rates, overcharges, etc. IMO, your best bet is getting a major credit card through your bank & using that to pay for your HSN purchases, or just using your debit card/Paypal. That way, you can avoid spreading your finances too thinly.
I hope this helps, Debs
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 3
rena347

I have had an HSN card since February. I originally applied for it because I wanted to purchase a desktop computer and they offered zero finance charges if you paid it off within 9 months. This worked out well for me because the computer was $900 so I paid $100 per month and paid it off last week. To me, it was like a flex pay without any interest charges.

The reason I went with an HSN card instead of the master card was due to already having other credit cards. I use my HSN card only for HSN purchases which makes it very easy to track my spending. HSN does offer flexpay on more items if you use the HSN card and I always take advantage of that perk. To be honest, I thought there would be coupons with the HSN card but they are few and far between. One special event that saved me over $50 dollars was the $5.00 jewelry shipping option that was offered on November 3. You only had to pay $5.00 for any jewelry items purchased that day. I purchased 11 items for Christmas gifts (between $10 and $30). I saved over $50 in shipping charges. I haven't received them yet but hope they all work out!

One thing that I have seen people complain about in the past with the HSN credit cards is mailing the payment in and getting credit after the due date so they have to pay a late charge. I always pay my payment on line on the due date and have never experienced any problems with the payment being credited on the correct date. There is also no fee for paying online. I know that this card isn't for everyone but it has worked out well for my needs.
Please use plain text.
Admirer
Erniee

Are you positively sure there are no fees for paying online? I have been sending in payments via mail because upon reading the Bill Payment Agreement, it states within the Fees section that a $15 is charged for online payments.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
scarlett811

Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
Mishkyn

I got my HSN charge card several years ago when they used to regularly offer certain items at 10 per cent off if you used their charge card. That has not happened in years, now the only benefit is a $10 discount with your first purchase, and an addition flex pay on some items.

Every time you get a new charge card--of any type: store, bank, etc--your credit rating goes down--as much as 20 points. The reasoning is that you need to spread your payments over more cards. Stinky, but true.

About online bill payments: I use my AmEx card and the bills are credited immediately.
Please use plain text.
Admirer
Erniee

Please use plain text.
Admirer 1
GraceBailey

I opened an account last month so I could get the $20 discount and apply it to a purchase I was making. I paid my bill online, and wasn't charged a fee for the payment that I generated. In fact, because of the "horror stories" I have been hearing, I went online as soon as my account closed out for the month and just paid the balance. I hadn't even gotten my statement yet. I had absolutely no problems.

I know they state that a fee may be applied, but I don't think it applies to normal online payments that you generate. Maybe it applies to payments that you make too close to the due date, or payments by phone, etc. Call the credit card company and ask them for details.

As far as opening new credit cards, or closing credit cards, your credit score doesn't really take that big of a hit, if you have a good rating. I wouldn't close very old lines of credit, as they count the most. But, for the most part, if you have a good credit score, these moves are a wash after about 6 months. Since I'm not planning on taking out a mortgage or a car loan in the next 6 months, I couldn't care less about a couple of points.
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
7 Replies
11.06.2011 4:50 AM
0 Smiles
7 in Conversation

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...