Admirer 3
JEWELME

Rice Cooker vs. Crock Pot?

I don't cook much at all, but am trying to learn more about cooking, and cook more. I bought a crock pot some months ago, but it has never even come out of the box. I am thinking that I will use it now with fall and winter just around the corner. But I also wonder about a rice cooker. Are they pretty much interchangeable, or would I be more likely to use one more than the other? I have no idea? I am hoping that all you 'chefs' out there, will be able to offer some great advice! Thanks in advance!
Everyone has the will to win but only a few have the will to prepare
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
GardenMom

RE: Rice Cooker vs. Crock Pot?

I use my rice cooker all the time. It gets meat cooked so much faster. Then you can add potatoes, vegetables, spices, etc. sooner. Love it. I haven't used a crock pot in years. Gave it to my college kids. Actually a crock pot is good if you start the ingredients in the morning and come home later in the day for it. The rice cooker is like a pot on the stove and everything gets done faster.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
LisainVA

I know a lot of people use their rice cooker for way more than rice - I have used it for a couple of non-rice things, but, if I am cooking something all day to have ready for dinner, I will use my crock pot. I have never baked anything in the rice cooker, although I guess you can, because I think it seems silly to have to press the button again to keep it going after it shuts off when there are so many other ways to bak a cake. I do love my rice cooker for rice, and I also use the steaming function in that. It must depend on how long you will be home. I like both appliances.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
JEWELME

Thanks for your responses! I like the idea that it cooks faster, and maybe it would be good to give it a try!
Everyone has the will to win but only a few have the will to prepare
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
LEATHER

As the owner of 3 10 cup rice cookers, 2 7 cup rice cookers, 2 pressure cookers all Wolfgang Puck there is no comparison with a crock pot. The rice cookers win every time for speed , convenience everything. Im even eyeing up the little one 1.5 cup.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
MitzyKucan

I don't cook much at all, but am trying to learn more about cooking, and cook more. I bought a crock pot some months ago, but it has never even come out of the box. I am thinking that I will use it now with fall and winter just around the corner. But I also wonder about a rice cooker. Are they pretty much interchangeable, or would I be more likely to use one more than the other? I have no idea? I am hoping that all you 'chefs' out there, will be able to offer some great advice! Thanks in advance!

Past thanksgiving I prepared a spiral sliced ham in my 7 qt. Crock Pot. Turned out incredible and only took a few hours. Cooked in applecider and water. Very tender and juicy. Pluses are I didn't need to use the big oven to prepare dinner and it saved energy.

Just need to experiment and you will find many uses for the crock pot. I love it especially for beef stew with veggies and potatoes. The beef is much more tender slow cooked than when prepared on the stovetop.

I also have a 5 qt. rice cooker/steamer and it makes the best steamed pork stuffed cabbage rolls.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
BUBBO

personally...I use them both,I like them both. i have never tried meats in the rice cooker. I will though.;-);
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
tigriss

I wonder if you can do a turkey in the crock pot....that would make Thanksgiving way easier. I totally love turkey and dressing and hate baking even a breast for so long. MMMmmmm the ideas you have planted.!!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
tigriss

I searched it and found several recipes for a crock pot turkey...Now you can't do a 20 pounder in it, but you can do it and finish it in the oven for 30 minutes for a crisp skin if you want. I might give this a try....mmmm....
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
MitzyKucan

Thanks, Tigriss, you just gave me the idea of preparing a Turkey Breast in the crock pot (not the whole bird, and I prefer the breast meat).
Please use plain text.

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.