JEWELME | Inspirer 1 | 08.15.2010 2:19 AM
I don't cook much at all, but am trying to learn more about cooking, and cook more. I bought a crock pot some months ago, but it has never even come out of the box. I am thinking that I will use it now with fall and winter just around the corner. But I also wonder about a rice cooker. Are they pretty much interchangeable, or would I be more likely to use one more than the other? I have no idea? I am hoping that all you 'chefs' out there, will be able to offer some great advice! Thanks in advance!
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
LindaCinKY | Admirer | 08.28.2010 7:59 PM
I added a little lemon juice and some splenda to keep it on the sweet side. :smileyhappy: There's enough for us to eat on for a few days with a big bowl left for freezing in small batches. Love to cook larger batches and have some to freeze!
MitzyKucan | Admirer 3 | 08.28.2010 6:16 PM
I think Debra is just trying to sell her product line.

Yes, the newer crock pots cook faster. LindaCinky, I like your idea of the chicken breast in barbecue sauce. Can you send a sample thru cyberspace? May try this idea tomorrow as I just picked up some chicken breasts today from the store.

Do you add anything else other than the barbecue sauce to your recipe?
LindaCinKY | Admirer | 08.28.2010 7:12 AM
I heard today when Debra Murray was talking about using the Today's Special - 10 cup rice cooker -- that you really should NOT cook raw CHICKEN in a slow cooker only because it can't get HOT enough in a slow cooker to keep bacteria, etc. from developing.

Debra's either wrong or misspoke or maybe she was referring to certain models of slow cookers or some of the older models. I bought 2 different sizes of slow cookers two years ago and did some research on them. Some of the info I found addressed some users complaints that the newer slow cookers cooked the food too fast. I had noticed this myself. When I had an old slow cooker I bought at a yard sale over 15 years ago, it cooked the food much slower. The new ones I bought seemed to cook faster. Well, this article said that the older models (or at least some of them) didn't cook the food at safe temperatures, so the newer models were made to cook a bit faster. Seems noticeably faster to me.

I've cooked raw chicken, frozen chicken, beans, roast beef, pork, frozen steaks, etc. and it all came out fine. The barbecues even came out with nice carmelization. :smileyhappy: In fact, I'm cooking 5 large boneless skinless chicken breasts with barbecue sauce in one right now. After 3 hours of cooking, I was able to tear the meat apart already. By morning, I expect the sauce to have thickened and have some carmelization on the meat. :smileyhappy:
scriptor | Admirer | 08.28.2010 2:10 AM
I heard today when Debra Murray was talking about using the Today's Special - 10 cup rice cooker -- that you really should NOT cook raw CHICKEN in a slow cooker only because it can't get HOT enough in a slow cooker to keep bacteria, etc. from developing.
tigriss | Admirer 3 | 08.22.2010 12:14 PM
I prefer it too.....It is also a healthier cut of turkey. You can prepare it and freeze it for sandwhiches without the salt and presertives of the deli counter meats, plus it tastes better too! It also frees up your oven for tasty dressing. My first real meal as a baby was turkey and dressing. I was born in July and kept reaching for my mother's, so she abliged. I totally love it. I just got my great-aunt's recipe for corn-bread dressing. She uses her food processor to chop up her onions and peppers into fine peices so it really bakes into the corn bread for super flavor instead of the typical chunks of flavor.
MitzyKucan | Admirer 3 | 08.22.2010 3:34 AM
Thanks, Tigriss, you just gave me the idea of preparing a Turkey Breast in the crock pot (not the whole bird, and I prefer the breast meat).
tigriss | Admirer 3 | 08.21.2010 11:19 PM
I searched it and found several recipes for a crock pot turkey...Now you can't do a 20 pounder in it, but you can do it and finish it in the oven for 30 minutes for a crisp skin if you want. I might give this a try....mmmm....
tigriss | Admirer 3 | 08.21.2010 11:15 PM
I wonder if you can do a turkey in the crock pot....that would make Thanksgiving way easier. I totally love turkey and dressing and hate baking even a breast for so long. MMMmmmm the ideas you have planted.!!
BUBBO | Admirer 2 | 08.19.2010 3:07 PM
personally...I use them both,I like them both. i have never tried meats in the rice cooker. I will though.;-);
MitzyKucan | Admirer 3 | 08.19.2010 1:00 AM
I don't cook much at all, but am trying to learn more about cooking, and cook more. I bought a crock pot some months ago, but it has never even come out of the box. I am thinking that I will use it now with fall and winter just around the corner. But I also wonder about a rice cooker. Are they pretty much interchangeable, or would I be more likely to use one more than the other? I have no idea? I am hoping that all you 'chefs' out there, will be able to offer some great advice! Thanks in advance!

Past thanksgiving I prepared a spiral sliced ham in my 7 qt. Crock Pot. Turned out incredible and only took a few hours. Cooked in applecider and water. Very tender and juicy. Pluses are I didn't need to use the big oven to prepare dinner and it saved energy.

Just need to experiment and you will find many uses for the crock pot. I love it especially for beef stew with veggies and potatoes. The beef is much more tender slow cooked than when prepared on the stovetop.

I also have a 5 qt. rice cooker/steamer and it makes the best steamed pork stuffed cabbage rolls.
LEATHER | Inspirer 1 | 08.18.2010 2:15 PM
As the owner of 3 10 cup rice cookers, 2 7 cup rice cookers, 2 pressure cookers all Wolfgang Puck there is no comparison with a crock pot. The rice cookers win every time for speed , convenience everything. Im even eyeing up the little one 1.5 cup.
JEWELME | Inspirer 1 | 08.15.2010 5:57 PM
Thanks for your responses! I like the idea that it cooks faster, and maybe it would be good to give it a try!
LisainVA | Admirer 3 | 08.15.2010 9:43 AM
I know a lot of people use their rice cooker for way more than rice - I have used it for a couple of non-rice things, but, if I am cooking something all day to have ready for dinner, I will use my crock pot. I have never baked anything in the rice cooker, although I guess you can, because I think it seems silly to have to press the button again to keep it going after it shuts off when there are so many other ways to bak a cake. I do love my rice cooker for rice, and I also use the steaming function in that. It must depend on how long you will be home. I like both appliances.
GardenMom | Inspirer 1 | 08.15.2010 3:21 AM
I use my rice cooker all the time. It gets meat cooked so much faster. Then you can add potatoes, vegetables, spices, etc. sooner. Love it. I haven't used a crock pot in years. Gave it to my college kids. Actually a crock pot is good if you start the ingredients in the morning and come home later in the day for it. The rice cooker is like a pot on the stove and everything gets done faster.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Inspirer 1
JEWELME

Rice Cooker vs. Crock Pot?

Everyone has the will to win but only a few have the will to prepare
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
GardenMom

RE: Rice Cooker vs. Crock Pot?

I use my rice cooker all the time. It gets meat cooked so much faster. Then you can add potatoes, vegetables, spices, etc. sooner. Love it. I haven't used a crock pot in years. Gave it to my college kids. Actually a crock pot is good if you start the ingredients in the morning and come home later in the day for it. The rice cooker is like a pot on the stove and everything gets done faster.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
LisainVA

I know a lot of people use their rice cooker for way more than rice - I have used it for a couple of non-rice things, but, if I am cooking something all day to have ready for dinner, I will use my crock pot. I have never baked anything in the rice cooker, although I guess you can, because I think it seems silly to have to press the button again to keep it going after it shuts off when there are so many other ways to bak a cake. I do love my rice cooker for rice, and I also use the steaming function in that. It must depend on how long you will be home. I like both appliances.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
JEWELME

Thanks for your responses! I like the idea that it cooks faster, and maybe it would be good to give it a try!
Everyone has the will to win but only a few have the will to prepare
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
LEATHER

As the owner of 3 10 cup rice cookers, 2 7 cup rice cookers, 2 pressure cookers all Wolfgang Puck there is no comparison with a crock pot. The rice cookers win every time for speed , convenience everything. Im even eyeing up the little one 1.5 cup.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
MitzyKucan

Past thanksgiving I prepared a spiral sliced ham in my 7 qt. Crock Pot. Turned out incredible and only took a few hours. Cooked in applecider and water. Very tender and juicy. Pluses are I didn't need to use the big oven to prepare dinner and it saved energy.

Just need to experiment and you will find many uses for the crock pot. I love it especially for beef stew with veggies and potatoes. The beef is much more tender slow cooked than when prepared on the stovetop.

I also have a 5 qt. rice cooker/steamer and it makes the best steamed pork stuffed cabbage rolls.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
BUBBO

personally...I use them both,I like them both. i have never tried meats in the rice cooker. I will though.;-);
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
tigriss

I wonder if you can do a turkey in the crock pot....that would make Thanksgiving way easier. I totally love turkey and dressing and hate baking even a breast for so long. MMMmmmm the ideas you have planted.!!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
tigriss

I searched it and found several recipes for a crock pot turkey...Now you can't do a 20 pounder in it, but you can do it and finish it in the oven for 30 minutes for a crisp skin if you want. I might give this a try....mmmm....
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
MitzyKucan

Thanks, Tigriss, you just gave me the idea of preparing a Turkey Breast in the crock pot (not the whole bird, and I prefer the breast meat).
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
14 Replies
08.15.2010 2:19 AM
0 Smiles
9 in Conversation

How can we help? Call or email us anytime... really!

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...