Lynne123 | Admirer 2 | 06.12.2012 7:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have been checking out Andrew Lessmans supplements and wanted to get some feedback on what is the best to give my husband who has depression and anxiety. Alot of anxiety and just nerves. B12s are ok. They are normal and thought I would have him get a B12 shot but doctor doesn't usually do that since he is not low on it. I'm wondering about the wellness for woman multi vitamins for my husband doesn't take any multi vitamins daily. Neither do I but maybe both me and my husband can take one a day. He is on a few medications. Tried Cymbolta, Prozac, Paxil, Bestbar, Abilify, which do not work and now on Celexia meds for depression seems not to help him as well. Although he has only been on that drug for 3 weeks. He had to go to Mcleans Hospital and they are giving him a coctail which they call it of meds and I'm not seeing any improvemts. He won't go out to Exercise but does eat ok. So at least he does eat and Zoloft used to help but not anymore. So supplements are what I would like to try on him. I never saw anyone so nerves as he. He has been through alot with losing jobs and having a special needs child which can take a toll on parents but I always try to keep my head above water but always trying to pull him up from drowning in his own sorrow. Our son is doing good but my husbands problems have really got to him as the years have gone by. I have tried B12's on him but he doesn't like the taste and hates taking them. So I sent them back. Didn't really give it a chance I guess. So I am looking for maybe a combination of supplements that hopefully will make him feel better along with some meds that he is taking already. He won't even shave and his hair is getting long. Too nerves to sit in a barbers chair. Although he does go to his therapist and nurse to help him with his meds. He knows that he has to go to that or they will charge him big bucks for not showing up. So maybe womans wellness for I don't see anything for men. I heard Andrew takes womans wellness for it has more in it then the mens one a day vitamin. Is that true? Not a bad idea though! So if anyone out there has had bad nerves problems with added depression please get back to me in this subject. Good subject to help all of us get better and to feel comfortable in our own skin. This is a great subject and hope everyone can join in and have a discussion. Thanks
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Lynne123 | Admirer 2 | 07.17.2012 7:01 PM
Hi Ellmc,

Which one of the vitamin Bs has coezyme in it? You mentioned its a smaller pill? Is that the B12's? I notice Andrew has two kinds of B12's One has 500mgs and the other type has 250. Which one is the smaller capsule and which one has pretty much all of the Bs in it other than B12. A little confused on which bottle to read up on more and which one would be better for my husband. I'm giving my husband the Escentials 1 The one a day vitamin which has all the Bs in it and the B12 is 200 a day. Not really sure if he needs it though. If anyone has any opinions let me know folks. Thanks
Lynne123 | Admirer 2 | 07.14.2012 10:39 PM

WOW!! You guys are great in replying to my post! I appreciate everyones feedback. Thank you all so much!! Well right now I am giving my husband Esscentual 1 The one a day vitamin. I'm taking it too everyday with my husband. I bought the 360 day amount. So it will last longer and to see how we feel. Yes, I know that I have to take care of myself as well. Otherwise you can't help anyone! This may sound selfish but I figure I'm number 1 right now so I don't stress myself out. I really get upset when my husband doesn't want to go to the doctors office to help himself. I did miss an appointment with his therapist because he just wouldn't go because of his anxiety. Now I have another appointment on Monday which is coming up and he better not miss this one for its his pychiatrist and its important that he goes. While we are out I amd going to take him also to the hospital to take some blood work done that he was supposted to do a while ago but wouldn't go. He has to lay down to take blood work otherwise he can faint. I know alot of people feel faint when taking blood so I have to go to the hospital to do this with my husband. Went to his MD's office to take blood one time and the nurse just looks at him when he didn't feel well. He was sitting up. She didn't say do you wish to lay down? No he walks out and faints in the lobby. I wasn't with him. He drove himself that day. Said he could. Anyway it is frustrating but I always try to keep my head above water so I don't sink. Sorry for the long discussion. Like I said. Thanks a million for all your help and caring ways. :smileyhappy: Will be back.
ElleMc | Admirer 2 | 07.13.2012 6:38 PM
Lynne123, first I want to say what great advice the other posters gave you and thank you for your honesty and bravery to discuss mental illness (which is physical-based as well). This is something that is not dealt with very well in this country and insurance companies are horrific about coverage for it. Although I do not have the level of anxiety and depression your husband has, I do find that living alone and having financial and other worries can really affect my emotional balance. Of Andrew's vitamins/supplements that help the most, I do take his B-Complex. Altough it's listed as B12 it has the other B's in it. I believe it is the B6 that balances emotions the most. I know you said your husband did not like the taste of it, but Andrew has had a couple different formulas in it. The one that has a bit of CoEnzyme Q10 in it, is a very little capsule. I don't notice any taste. I do find that Women's Wellness also helps. I don't know if it would help men, but what the heck, why not?! Also I've found that taking Omega 3 greatly helps. Andrew has the one with Orange Oil (no flavor) and this keeps it from repeating on you or tasting fishy. I will say this tends to make my hair more oily, so I only take it every other or 2 days. I also keep his Nighttime on hand for if I can't sleep. It has Valerian root in it that allows me to relax and turn off my brain without feeling drugged and groggy in the morning. It also has some Melatonin in it. Andrew now sells a Valerian root supplement on its own. I haven't tried it yet, but I heard good ol' Dr Oz say that Valerian root can help with anxiety. Although I have never tried it and Andrew does not make it, I have heard a lot of people say that St John's Wort supplement really helps depression. Although your husband doesn't like to go out much, I do think getting some fresh air and taking walks would help. You may want to start by just taking small walks, like just around the block and maybe he would feel better going out at night for a walk. This way it would help him not feel like things are closing in on him. I also highly recommend you speak to his Dr. about mixing vitamins/supplements with his Meds and make sure it is OK. I think the idea of going to a Naturpath Dr. is good. I agree that a lot of times with depression there is a physiological imbalance as well as mental. This seems to affect our coping skills. The medications can deplete those further. So it would be good for him to be tested and to find out if he is deficient elsewhere as well. Good Luck and Take Care of Yourself!
cityyear | Admirer 3 | 07.12.2012 11:28 PM
Dear Lynn: I have read all of the posts and I cannot imagine how hard this must be for you. I read all of the kind and helpful words from your fellow posters and I just wanted to say that you must take care of YOU. In spite of the terrible time your husband is having, please make sure that you get rest, good food, fresh air and time with your friends, even for a short time. Please don't forget about yourself. I feel so badly about your situation and I wish I could help. All I can do is pray for both you and your husband, that the professionals are there to help in any way they can and perhaps you and he will find an answer. I wish you peace and an abundance of blessings on you and your family.

Skystew

Lynne123 | Admirer 2 | 07.12.2012 11:19 PM

Thank you folks for all your kind words. Maybe a Naturopath would be good to see. Someone different then his pychiatrist. Now my husband is on Resperodone with an antidepresent Celexia and he says he doesn't feel badly but I think he is just not with it taking this stuff. I had to take him to the hospital one evening because he has uncontrolable shaking. So his doctor gave him Resperodone and now he is just not with it. Not shaking and somewhat relaxed but I think too relaxed. If he is not on anything he can become hard to live with. He carries on and on about his life which is not bad at all. But I can see how sick he is with throwing things and carrying on about his son. Our son is fine by the way. Have no problems with him. He is in a group home and a brand new one. Just lovely! My husband hasn't even seen it yet. I'll see what else I can do for him. Although he won't go outside for a ride in the car. Have to really push him to go to the doctors. ](*,) If anyone else has any further advice then I would be happy to hear from you. Thanks a million
seahsn | New Friend | 07.04.2012 9:58 PM
I believe Andrew takes Women's Complete, or another of the multiple-pack vitamins for women, because it contains more calcium than the men's. At least that's the way I understood it.
I'm sorry I don't have any good advice for you, but I do believe that exercise and the correct foods and vitamins could have a profound effect.
I hope things get much, much better - and soon.
Meezergeezer | Advisor 1 | 06.22.2012 11:50 PM
If you really want to go the route of supplements - I would consider going to a Naturopath - these doctors specialized in vitamins, herbs, supplements. No offense doctors are just not up on things. Case in point - myself - I have rheumatoid and sjorgren's. After talking with me over 1 1 1/2 hour interview, ordering some blood tests - can back I was severely deficient in Vitamin D3 and other supplements - also came back that I off the charts reactions to several foods I was eating. I'm 54 y.o. and it took some time to get this way - but I feel so much better. I was taking many fo the supplements she recommended I take however not in the therapeutic levels I needed. there would be no way I would know to take vitamins in these dosages because I would look at the label on the vitamin and assume it would meet my needs.

I take some of Andrews Vitamins, in addition to what my ND has recommended. So perhaps your husband medications have made him deficient in some vitamins and minerals - you won't know this unless you have a skillful provider to guide and help your husband to feel better.

If your insurance doesn't cover a naturopath - perhaps the pharmacist's who dispenses your husband medication might be of assistance suggesting safe supplements - just concern combing pharmaceuticals and vitamins/supplements. God bless and best of luck to you and your husband :smileyhappy:
DubuqueRams | Advisor 2 | 06.22.2012 10:28 AM
Be careful with Niacin, especially with heart problems. Excess amounts can cause your face to get flushed. Read about it before taking it and I would check with your doctor to see the amount you can safely take.
coco131 | New Friend | 06.22.2012 2:40 AM
I suggest you watch the documentary "Fat, Sick & almost dead", directed by Joe Cross. They talk about vitamins and how our body can heal itself by eating the right foods. They also talk about a woman who is very depressed and they gave her Niacin and how it helped her with her depression.

Good luck!
MaryWorth | Inspirer 1 | 06.21.2012 1:42 AM
Cocreator, thank you for such a positive and loving post.
cocreator | Inspirer 2 | 06.20.2012 8:46 PM
Lynne123 , my heart goes out to you. Your love for your husband shines through. Depression is so complex since it can involve chemistry, emotions, thought choices and overall health. The mind-body connection. Each reply here has offered great advice.
I'm a big believer in diet, exercise and supplements to support health, but whatever you try, I urge you to hold your image of the things you love about your husband foremost in your mind. See those things as rising to the surface once again. Make sure you don't slip into looking at him as a problem to be solved, but remind yourself and him what a hero he has been in your life and the life of the child. How you admire him for having the strength to go to the therapist and persist in the quest to overcome set-backs. With these qualities you have confidence that things will improve and he will gradually realize why you are so sure he is still the wonderful man you married.
How -- in spite of problems right now -- you still feel very, very lucky to be sharing life with him. Be sure to SMILE at him several times throughout the day, even if he doesn't reciprocate right away. (Fake it til you make it.) Laugh. Grab his hand and tell him how good it feels. Catch him doing something right, as they say. And hold thoughts of him as you love him, and gratitude for him, to be in your mind as you fall asleep. Forgive me if you don't need such reminders; but maybe someone else reading this will be helped by it. When negative thoughts arise, don't worry...just let them drift on by. But hold on to the positive thoughts and invite them in to stay. This may help the muddy water to eventually become clear. It's not easy to control our thoughts, but Expecting the best of him and for him, without imposing any guilt for imperfections, might be the best tool in the toolbox. And it's free!! Give it time; keep the faith. Bless you both.
StarrBright3 | Admirer 3 | 06.19.2012 11:27 AM
Thank you for replying,

What about Womans Wellness which is a multi vitamin. Andrew Lessman takes that. At least that is what I heard. Also what about Suzanne Somers supplements?? I've watched her the other day on Shopnbc and she sells many products. Omega 3's Green tea, and Resveratol which she sells altogether. I was thinking of these. She has great reviews on her products. Anyway, Enssentual One. Is that a multi vitamin? I will check Andress products on HSN Wonder why Suzanne left HSN? I need something good for depression and something good for energy and anxiety. I don't think any of the meds that my husband is on is helping him at all. Anyother help would be helpful.
Thanks, Lynne

Suzanne Somers supplement vendor is Life Extension, and you save alot of money going directly through them.She overcharges on everything. I would never get supplements from her.

As for any supplements, there is no magic pill, but I am sure some things can help , but not cure.I would see a Medical Professsional that deals with Depression and Pyschological issues.Supplements is only a piece of the puzzle.
Anonymous8080 | Admirer 1 | 06.18.2012 5:44 AM
I understand how you feel with watching someone with depression, anxiety, and lack of energy. I don't know that just a supplement would be an answer, however foods can re-act differently with each of us and feel that may be a good start. Than perhaps adding a supplement. As much organic/& certified organic fruits and vegetables. And hormone free meats are a good start. Good luck and hope you let us know how things are going. Just don't give up......sometimes it's a long road. But his knowing your there to help him climb out of this really helps. A.......
Lynne123 | Admirer 2 | 06.17.2012 8:55 PM
Thank you for replying,

What about Womans Wellness which is a multi vitamin. Andrew Lessman takes that. At least that is what I heard. Also what about Suzanne Somers supplements?? I've watched her the other day on Shopnbc and she sells many products. Omega 3's Green tea, and Resveratol which she sells altogether. I was thinking of these. She has great reviews on her products. Anyway, Enssentual One. Is that a multi vitamin? I will check Andress products on HSN Wonder why Suzanne left HSN? I need something good for depression and something good for energy and anxiety. I don't think any of the meds that my husband is on is helping him at all. Anyother help would be helpful.
Thanks, Lynne
MaryWorth | Inspirer 1 | 06.15.2012 1:49 AM
Please ask his MDs, and be sure to let everyone who is treating your husband know about any over the counter meds as there can be serious interactions with prescription medications. It takes a long time sometimes to try each depression medication, giving it time to kick in. Good luck to you. I am sure it's very stressful! Maybe massage might help? And maybe you can start taking short walks together, adding more time little by little?
CHOCOLATEDIAMOND | Admirer 3 | 06.15.2012 12:39 AM
I would recommend trying the CoEnzyme Q-10, Phosphatidyl Serine, and Essential One.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Admirer 2
Lynne123

Husband suffers depression. Can anyone help with Andrews supplements??

Hello Everyone,

I have been checking out Andrew Lessmans supplements and wanted to get some feedback on what is the best to give my husband who has depression and anxiety. Alot of anxiety and just nerves. B12s are ok. They are normal and thought I would have him get a B12 shot but doctor doesn't usually do that since he is not low on it. I'm wondering about the wellness for woman multi vitamins for my husband doesn't take any multi vitamins daily. Neither do I but maybe both me and my husband can take one a day. He is on a few medications. Tried Cymbolta, Prozac, Paxil, Bestbar, Abilify, which do not work and now on Celexia meds for depression seems not to help him as well. Although he has only been on that drug for 3 weeks. He had to go to Mcleans Hospital and they are giving him a coctail which they call it of meds and I'm not seeing any improvemts. He won't go out to Exercise but does eat ok. So at least he does eat and Zoloft used to help but not anymore. So supplements are what I would like to try on him. I never saw anyone so nerves as he. He has been through alot with losing jobs and having a special needs child which can take a toll on parents but I always try to keep my head above water but always trying to pull him up from drowning in his own sorrow. Our son is doing good but my husbands problems have really got to him as the years have gone by. I have tried B12's on him but he doesn't like the taste and hates taking them. So I sent them back. Didn't really give it a chance I guess. So I am looking for maybe a combination of supplements that hopefully will make him feel better along with some meds that he is taking already. He won't even shave and his hair is getting long. Too nerves to sit in a barbers chair. Although he does go to his therapist and nurse to help him with his meds. He knows that he has to go to that or they will charge him big bucks for not showing up. So maybe womans wellness for I don't see anything for men. I heard Andrew takes womans wellness for it has more in it then the mens one a day vitamin. Is that true? Not a bad idea though! So if anyone out there has had bad nerves problems with added depression please get back to me in this subject. Good subject to help all of us get better and to feel comfortable in our own skin. This is a great subject and hope everyone can join in and have a discussion. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
CHOCOLATEDIAMOND

RE: Husband suffers depression. Can anyone help with Andrews supplements??

I would recommend trying the CoEnzyme Q-10, Phosphatidyl Serine, and Essential One.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
MaryWorth

Please ask his MDs, and be sure to let everyone who is treating your husband know about any over the counter meds as there can be serious interactions with prescription medications. It takes a long time sometimes to try each depression medication, giving it time to kick in. Good luck to you. I am sure it's very stressful! Maybe massage might help? And maybe you can start taking short walks together, adding more time little by little?
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
Lynne123

Thank you for replying,

Thanks, Lynne
Please use plain text.
Admirer 1
Anonymous8080

I understand how you feel with watching someone with depression, anxiety, and lack of energy. I don't know that just a supplement would be an answer, however foods can re-act differently with each of us and feel that may be a good start. Than perhaps adding a supplement. As much organic/& certified organic fruits and vegetables. And hormone free meats are a good start. Good luck and hope you let us know how things are going. Just don't give up......sometimes it's a long road. But his knowing your there to help him climb out of this really helps. A.......
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
StarrBright3

Thank you for replying,

Thanks, Lynne

Suzanne Somers supplement vendor is Life Extension, and you save alot of money going directly through them.She overcharges on everything. I would never get supplements from her.

As for any supplements, there is no magic pill, but I am sure some things can help , but not cure.I would see a Medical Professsional that deals with Depression and Pyschological issues.Supplements is only a piece of the puzzle.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 2
cocreator

Lynne123 , my heart goes out to you. Your love for your husband shines through. Depression is so complex since it can involve chemistry, emotions, thought choices and overall health. The mind-body connection. Each reply here has offered great advice.
I'm a big believer in diet, exercise and supplements to support health, but whatever you try, I urge you to hold your image of the things you love about your husband foremost in your mind. See those things as rising to the surface once again. Make sure you don't slip into looking at him as a problem to be solved, but remind yourself and him what a hero he has been in your life and the life of the child. How you admire him for having the strength to go to the therapist and persist in the quest to overcome set-backs. With these qualities you have confidence that things will improve and he will gradually realize why you are so sure he is still the wonderful man you married.
How -- in spite of problems right now -- you still feel very, very lucky to be sharing life with him. Be sure to SMILE at him several times throughout the day, even if he doesn't reciprocate right away. (Fake it til you make it.) Laugh. Grab his hand and tell him how good it feels. Catch him doing something right, as they say. And hold thoughts of him as you love him, and gratitude for him, to be in your mind as you fall asleep. Forgive me if you don't need such reminders; but maybe someone else reading this will be helped by it. When negative thoughts arise, don't worry...just let them drift on by. But hold on to the positive thoughts and invite them in to stay. This may help the muddy water to eventually become clear. It's not easy to control our thoughts, but Expecting the best of him and for him, without imposing any guilt for imperfections, might be the best tool in the toolbox. And it's free!! Give it time; keep the faith. Bless you both.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
MaryWorth

Cocreator, thank you for such a positive and loving post.
Please use plain text.
New Friend
coco131

I suggest you watch the documentary "Fat, Sick & almost dead", directed by Joe Cross. They talk about vitamins and how our body can heal itself by eating the right foods. They also talk about a woman who is very depressed and they gave her Niacin and how it helped her with her depression.

Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Advisor 2
DubuqueRams

Be careful with Niacin, especially with heart problems. Excess amounts can cause your face to get flushed. Read about it before taking it and I would check with your doctor to see the amount you can safely take.
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
16 Replies
06.12.2012 7:15 PM
0 Smiles
12 in Conversation

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...