KERIGA | Inspirer 1 | 08.25.2013 4:28 PM

This is not a specific criticism or indictment of any particular host or even a singular shopping channel, but rather a general comment that can be applied almost equally across the board industry-wide to the major U.S. electronic retailers and their on-air personnal.

Have the major electronic retailers abolished job descriptions? Remember when the host provided vital information regarding measurements, fabric content, colors, county of origin, etc. and the models displayed the item?

Well, that was then and this is now.

All we get now is a frenetic rush of hosts struggling to pull on a dozen or so tops each hour, without benefit of a mirror. No, sorry, but gazing with self-adoration in a TV monitor DOESN'T count. Usually the apparel is askew, thereby rendering it less than enticing. It's nothing but a host's personal ego-trip.

Let the models who've been trained to exhibit these items best, whether it's sweaters or slacks or accessories, display them to their maximum advantage. That's what makes me want to buy an item, not an untrained host with a lumpy, bumpy mic-IFB pack trailing multiple wires strapped to her waist, clomping across the stage like an attention-starved toddler, screaming like a diva possessed by demons, "Look at me! LOOK AT ME! I'm a STAR!!!!"

Meanwhile, would the hosts please stop creating dozens of unnecessary hypothetical scenarios about where we can wear these garments and give us basic, necessary information? If we've decided to make the purchase, chances are we've already established a definite purpose or occasion for that item, so you needn't tell us, "You can wear it to work, to church, to the supermarket..."

What's far more important is the garment's measurements, including sleeve-length, back-waist length, etc; fabric composition (notice I said "composition" and not the incorrect and inappropriate "fabrication" which most have adopted and misuse); whether it runs true-to-size and is it machine washable or dry-clean only. Honestly, this used to be a requisite component of each presentation before these days of shimmy, shake, scream, twist and shout, followed by the host's frantic quick-change dash from one item to the next. I think we all know who's to blame for starting this most irritating and unnecessary trend that's spread like a pandemic industry-wide.

It's also rather annoying when hosts are so busy shopping while on-air instead of actually doing their jobs. Enough already of the "I need my cellphone" and "Can I get a tablet out here?" and "(Insert Producer's Name), you need to order this for me in red; size Quintuple Super-Duper, Extra Itsy-Bitsy-Small." It's gotten way out of hand. A host with Iman early this afternoon whined, cried and almost had a mental meltdown because a Moto-Jacket sold out before she could purchase it. What's next - foot-stomping and arm flailing? I thought she was going to thrown a temper tantrum like a two-year-old until the producer calmed her down somewhat via IFB, probably by telling her to remind everyone to register for Wait List.

The models aren't exempt either. Often they contribute comments to these fashion shows that have morphed into participatory democracies, forgetting that they aren't wearing microphones and therefore can't be heard, forcing them to shout and compelling the host to repeat everything the model has said. The hosts should be faulted for asking questions of the models, when they know beforehand that the answer is going to be inaudible.Then the giggling begins - ugh! Puhleez! It's a TV show, not a cocktail party.

Oh, how I long for a return to the electronic retail days of yesteryear, especially in the 1980s and '90s, when hosts hosted, models modeled; everyone knew her or his job and did it professionally.

Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
FritzieBlue | Inspirer 2 | 09.01.2013 9:33 AM
Beautifully said, Keriga!
FritzieBlue | Inspirer 2 | 09.01.2013 9:32 AM
"I also remember a woman named Carmela Richards (?) who did a lot of the Capodimante (?) shows. I liked her stye of presenting, too. Oh dear, I'm
getting nostalgic for the good old days of home shopping!!!"

Hi Tilyboy--I'm pretty nostalgic for the good old days, too. Carmela (now Sterling) is on ShopHQ (formerly ShopNBC) in the wee hours. She is as lovely and gracious as ever. Every show host on every network could take a lesson from her, as she is as good as it gets.
TEARDROPS | Admirer 3 | 08.28.2013 5:22 PM
Why do you need hosts? In a couple of years all you need is the internet. For all items, give the weight or gram weight,or size, and show the front, back, under of all items. Jewlery and clothing can be shown on a model.I have never in over 10 years order when a item has been aired. I used the internet, and I am a person who refuses to sent text messages, or drive while using a cell phone, nor do I use facebook or twitter.That another thing, they are always telling customers to face them on face book, well in the near future they will be out of a job.
1beachgirl | Advisor 1 | 08.28.2013 1:14 AM
Speaking of QVC. The Laugh In show with Shawn and Rick is on now. I can't believe how unbelievably childish they are but especially Shawn. She needs a chill pill to calm her down.

The dress she has on is too high waisted, too short and those boots are ridiculous. Whoever dresses her needs to be fired.

The show is just plain unwatchable. Click! ](*,) :-&
KELSCUDDLES | Inspirer 2 | 08.27.2013 10:36 PM
The hosts on QVC are worse than HSN, IMO. The Queen of the Q used to be a favorite but I can't watch her anymore. I agree about Colleen. She is usually a professional host, but when Andrew Lessman comes on with a TS, she ohhhs and ahhhs like it is the best thing she has ever seen. I am sure some deals are good, but she does it every time that I have watched.There are only a few hosts on each channel that I can watch for any length of time. Even if it is a product I am interested in, there are some hosts that I can't watch...one on HSN talks baby talk and she drives me up the wall...click....
grandma194508 | Admirer 3 | 08.26.2013 11:59 PM
Yes ,tillyboy......Kathy mastered to perfection.. that status of not being perfect.....(if this makes sense)..
.Who would forget those not perfect hair days...always perfect nails....and that really great sense of humor.....
Yes, I am nost algic too. Maybe it comes with age??????8-[
tillyboy | Inspirer 2 | 08.26.2013 11:15 PM
Kathy Levine was a wonderful hosts, wasn't she? She really knew her products, and came across as being completely down to earth and genuine.
I also remember a woman named Carmela Richards (?) who did a lot of the Capodimante (?) shows. I liked her stye of presenting, too. Oh dear, I'm
getting nostalgic for the good old days of home shopping!!!
grandma194508 | Admirer 3 | 08.26.2013 10:00 PM
Although I agree with everything you ladies said; I do not let host to affect my decision about buying a product or not . That said I am thinking about long gone excellent hosts i.e. Kathy Levine , Judy Croll who could maybe have seminars for never hosts teaching them how to be an excellent sales person and provide that gently entertainment factor without shouting, or even dancing (this is really horrible to watch). The are few hosts who are better than other, but they are very predictable. You know exactly when Colleen Lopez will start her famous: O O O O O O O!
O O O O O O O!
( that supposed to show intonation.....)
Or deep, orgastic (like having orgasm):
I looooove this!!!!!!! Other than that I consider Colleen one of the best. I also think highly about Lisa R......say what you want, but being consider Queen of anything did not comes easy.... Who else...well; I like Carolyn G. well enough to watch her presentations; maybe because of her love of animals, which of course has nothing to do with her selling skills (or maybe it does....) Also Leah W. is an intelligent host well composed most of her time on air. There is this trend thou that hosts which was liked in beginning became somehow unwatchable, or just simply" getting on our nerves" : Callie N, Diana P. Jackie G. and few others. I can not even comment about all hosts from new generation.........They are totally different species ..and probably we will have to accept their aggressive presentation, as maybe this will became trend of all electronic retailers.......
..I mixed hosts from HSN and QVC, but did not mention ShopNBC; IMO they are (mostly) below any standard.
This is my opinion and in any way it is my intent to upset anybody who thinks otherwise.......
Lindascoffee | Advisor 3 | 08.26.2013 2:44 PM
Ladies...well written and so true!!!! Thank you for summing up my pet peeves that are occurring on a daily basis and why I have mainly resorted to online descriptions of the item and ordering it without the rude antics of show hosts. I have, for the most part, STOP watching the shows because of the bad behavior.
tillyboy | Inspirer 2 | 08.26.2013 2:37 PM
Keriga, you have perfectly summed up what has happened to home shopping in the last few years. Do you think this is just an indication of our society in general? No manners, shouting, talking out of turn,with no regard for another person's right to speak? I am amazed that obviously HSN, or any other shopping network, does not require the hosts to review their on camera performances and have them see what we, the customers, put up with!! Now, I realize that some of the Vendors are just as obnoxious as are some of the hosts ( you know who I mean), but I think some of the more polished hosts have a way of "toning down" some of the loud, overbearing vendors. If I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a home shopping network, then I deserve to be treated in a dignified manner. Think about this: What if you walked into a brick and mortar store and the clerk started shouting at you, dancing around for no reason, and didn't give you the information needed to make an informed purchase!? Would you go back to that store?? I rest my case.
DIAMONDD | Admirer 2 | 08.26.2013 10:22 AM
Very well said, Keriga!!!!! Could not agree with you more. Have a wonderful day.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Inspirer 1
KERIGA

Hosts Should Host; Models Should Model

This is not a specific criticism or indictment of any particular host or even a singular shopping channel, but rather a general comment that can be applied almost equally across the board industry-wide to the major U.S. electronic retailers and their on-air personnal.

Have the major electronic retailers abolished job descriptions? Remember when the host provided vital information regarding measurements, fabric content, colors, county of origin, etc. and the models displayed the item?

Well, that was then and this is now.

All we get now is a frenetic rush of hosts struggling to pull on a dozen or so tops each hour, without benefit of a mirror. No, sorry, but gazing with self-adoration in a TV monitor DOESN'T count. Usually the apparel is askew, thereby rendering it less than enticing. It's nothing but a host's personal ego-trip.

Let the models who've been trained to exhibit these items best, whether it's sweaters or slacks or accessories, display them to their maximum advantage. That's what makes me want to buy an item, not an untrained host with a lumpy, bumpy mic-IFB pack trailing multiple wires strapped to her waist, clomping across the stage like an attention-starved toddler, screaming like a diva possessed by demons, "Look at me! LOOK AT ME! I'm a STAR!!!!"

Meanwhile, would the hosts please stop creating dozens of unnecessary hypothetical scenarios about where we can wear these garments and give us basic, necessary information? If we've decided to make the purchase, chances are we've already established a definite purpose or occasion for that item, so you needn't tell us, "You can wear it to work, to church, to the supermarket..."

What's far more important is the garment's measurements, including sleeve-length, back-waist length, etc; fabric composition (notice I said "composition" and not the incorrect and inappropriate "fabrication" which most have adopted and misuse); whether it runs true-to-size and is it machine washable or dry-clean only. Honestly, this used to be a requisite component of each presentation before these days of shimmy, shake, scream, twist and shout, followed by the host's frantic quick-change dash from one item to the next. I think we all know who's to blame for starting this most irritating and unnecessary trend that's spread like a pandemic industry-wide.

It's also rather annoying when hosts are so busy shopping while on-air instead of actually doing their jobs. Enough already of the "I need my cellphone" and "Can I get a tablet out here?" and "(Insert Producer's Name), you need to order this for me in red; size Quintuple Super-Duper, Extra Itsy-Bitsy-Small." It's gotten way out of hand. A host with Iman early this afternoon whined, cried and almost had a mental meltdown because a Moto-Jacket sold out before she could purchase it. What's next - foot-stomping and arm flailing? I thought she was going to thrown a temper tantrum like a two-year-old until the producer calmed her down somewhat via IFB, probably by telling her to remind everyone to register for Wait List.

The models aren't exempt either. Often they contribute comments to these fashion shows that have morphed into participatory democracies, forgetting that they aren't wearing microphones and therefore can't be heard, forcing them to shout and compelling the host to repeat everything the model has said. The hosts should be faulted for asking questions of the models, when they know beforehand that the answer is going to be inaudible.Then the giggling begins - ugh! Puhleez! It's a TV show, not a cocktail party.

Oh, how I long for a return to the electronic retail days of yesteryear, especially in the 1980s and '90s, when hosts hosted, models modeled; everyone knew her or his job and did it professionally.

Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
DIAMONDD

RE: Hosts Should Host; Models Should Model

Very well said, Keriga!!!!! Could not agree with you more. Have a wonderful day.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 2
tillyboy

Keriga, you have perfectly summed up what has happened to home shopping in the last few years. Do you think this is just an indication of our society in general? No manners, shouting, talking out of turn,with no regard for another person's right to speak? I am amazed that obviously HSN, or any other shopping network, does not require the hosts to review their on camera performances and have them see what we, the customers, put up with!! Now, I realize that some of the Vendors are just as obnoxious as are some of the hosts ( you know who I mean), but I think some of the more polished hosts have a way of "toning down" some of the loud, overbearing vendors. If I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a home shopping network, then I deserve to be treated in a dignified manner. Think about this: What if you walked into a brick and mortar store and the clerk started shouting at you, dancing around for no reason, and didn't give you the information needed to make an informed purchase!? Would you go back to that store?? I rest my case.
Please use plain text.
Advisor 3
Lindascoffee

Ladies...well written and so true!!!! Thank you for summing up my pet peeves that are occurring on a daily basis and why I have mainly resorted to online descriptions of the item and ordering it without the rude antics of show hosts. I have, for the most part, STOP watching the shows because of the bad behavior.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
grandma194508

Although I agree with everything you ladies said; I do not let host to affect my decision about buying a product or not . That said I am thinking about long gone excellent hosts i.e. Kathy Levine , Judy Croll who could maybe have seminars for never hosts teaching them how to be an excellent sales person and provide that gently entertainment factor without shouting, or even dancing (this is really horrible to watch). The are few hosts who are better than other, but they are very predictable. You know exactly when Colleen Lopez will start her famous: O O O O O O O!
O O O O O O O!
( that supposed to show intonation.....)
Or deep, orgastic (like having orgasm):
I looooove this!!!!!!! Other than that I consider Colleen one of the best. I also think highly about Lisa R......say what you want, but being consider Queen of anything did not comes easy.... Who else...well; I like Carolyn G. well enough to watch her presentations; maybe because of her love of animals, which of course has nothing to do with her selling skills (or maybe it does....) Also Leah W. is an intelligent host well composed most of her time on air. There is this trend thou that hosts which was liked in beginning became somehow unwatchable, or just simply" getting on our nerves" : Callie N, Diana P. Jackie G. and few others. I can not even comment about all hosts from new generation.........They are totally different species ..and probably we will have to accept their aggressive presentation, as maybe this will became trend of all electronic retailers.......
..I mixed hosts from HSN and QVC, but did not mention ShopNBC; IMO they are (mostly) below any standard.
This is my opinion and in any way it is my intent to upset anybody who thinks otherwise.......
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 2
tillyboy

Kathy Levine was a wonderful hosts, wasn't she? She really knew her products, and came across as being completely down to earth and genuine.
I also remember a woman named Carmela Richards (?) who did a lot of the Capodimante (?) shows. I liked her stye of presenting, too. Oh dear, I'm
getting nostalgic for the good old days of home shopping!!!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
grandma194508

Yes ,tillyboy......Kathy mastered to perfection.. that status of not being perfect.....(if this makes sense)..
.Who would forget those not perfect hair days...always perfect nails....and that really great sense of humor.....
Yes, I am nost algic too. Maybe it comes with age??????8-[
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 2
KELSCUDDLES

The hosts on QVC are worse than HSN, IMO. The Queen of the Q used to be a favorite but I can't watch her anymore. I agree about Colleen. She is usually a professional host, but when Andrew Lessman comes on with a TS, she ohhhs and ahhhs like it is the best thing she has ever seen. I am sure some deals are good, but she does it every time that I have watched.There are only a few hosts on each channel that I can watch for any length of time. Even if it is a product I am interested in, there are some hosts that I can't watch...one on HSN talks baby talk and she drives me up the wall...click....
Please use plain text.
Advisor 1
1beachgirl

Speaking of QVC. The Laugh In show with Shawn and Rick is on now. I can't believe how unbelievably childish they are but especially Shawn. She needs a chill pill to calm her down.

The dress she has on is too high waisted, too short and those boots are ridiculous. Whoever dresses her needs to be fired.

The show is just plain unwatchable. Click! ](*,) :-&
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
TEARDROPS

Why do you need hosts? In a couple of years all you need is the internet. For all items, give the weight or gram weight,or size, and show the front, back, under of all items. Jewlery and clothing can be shown on a model.I have never in over 10 years order when a item has been aired. I used the internet, and I am a person who refuses to sent text messages, or drive while using a cell phone, nor do I use facebook or twitter.That another thing, they are always telling customers to face them on face book, well in the near future they will be out of a job.
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
11 Replies
08.25.2013 4:28 PM
0 Smiles
9 in Conversation

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...