KERIGA | Inspirer 1 | 10.10.2013 2:40 PM

At 10:30 AM ET today (10.10.2013) when Brett Chukerman was hosting a show featuring the wonderful Jean Dousset and his beautiful jewelry, Dousset apologized for his English saying, "...and I've lived in L.A. for 15 years."

Without missing a beat, Chukerman seized the moment, responding, "That's okay. Most people in L.A. don't speak English anyway and if they do, it's pretty broken."

Way to go, Brett!

How offensive. How immature. What if all those HSN customers in L.A. just stopped watching and buying?

Full disclosure - no, I don't live in L.A.; never have and probably never will, but this was just the latest example of an escalating trend by TV retailers toward hiring attractive, but immature, marginally skil~led, insensitive hosts. Don't the corporate executives realize that the on-camera talent serve as brand ambassadors? They are the face of your network. They are the viewers' introduction to the channel and its merchandise. First impressions are essential because all too often, you don't get a chance to make a second impression.

It's not just HSN; most of the TV shopping channels are guilty of this. Earlier today on ShopNBC, in the latest tactic in its re-branding plan, a "Get To Know Us" show featured a pair ShopHQ of co-hosts, a blonde and a brunette, frantically running around the set, undoubtedly fueled by Starbucks caffeine with Red Bull chasers, acting like refugees from some SNL sketch, improvising insipid skits allegedly to demonstrate everything from security lights to a space heater. If this was a strategy to engender trust and brand loyalty, then it was an epic fail.

When is management going to start monitoring these on-air antics, so that they can be critiqued and curtailed? Many of these hosts need to be reined in. When are these presenters going to take the time and initiative to review airchecks, a basic practice that's essential in continuing quality improvement. They need to be aware of their work in order to make adjustments so that they can take pride in what they do.

I find the diminishing educational level, verbal communication skills, demeanor - the overall quality and qualifications - of these new hires distressing and irritating. Why can't we return to the time when real hosts ruled? Remember Kathy Levine? Judy Crowell? Lisa Mason? Steve Bryant? Any or all of them could make a fortune today by teaching TV Shopping Show Hosting 101 seminars to the current crop.

Let's get back to polished, professional, articulate and educated.

Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
1beachgirl | Advisor 1 | 10.12.2013 11:39 AM
All this political correctness is ruining our country. No matter what we say someone gets their "feelings" hurt. I am Greek but the term "Greasy Greek" does not bother me, why should it ? I am also part Indian and the term "Redskin" is not offensive to me.They are words, now if someone attacks my character as people were doing about Brett it would be different.
Lindascoffee | Advisor 3 | 10.12.2013 4:48 AM
Ever since the 1990's, the "political correctness" began, this term made every person feel as if they were walking on eggshells.
FritzieBlue | Inspirer 2 | 10.12.2013 4:20 AM
No matter that his reply was correct. When did our nation start becoming so sensitive? California is full of immigrants. There are now buses here with ads in other languages. Many grocery items are in English and Spanish. Whole communities speak the language of their native land.

Brett is witty, articulate, bright, and charming. Those who aren't fond of him simply shouldn't watch, as they tell us about show hosts we aren't crazy about.
Lindascoffee | Advisor 3 | 10.11.2013 10:30 PM
I tend to agree with your statement, Artgal, Brett could use some coaching and smooth down some of the abrasive mannerisms and to be careful of the content he says. There are other show hosts that also need that coaching too. Beachgirl has said many times, show hosts need to see a playback of how they are hosting and what areas they can improve. In my opinion, I believe ALL show hosts can benefit from this playback mode.
Lindascoffee | Advisor 3 | 10.11.2013 10:24 PM
It might appear to you, hsnaddict, I hate California, but actually this state has many good aspects about it. In the beginning, California was a culture shock and its humor issue was disturbing to me. Through the years, one assimilates to the culture out here and what was disturbing to me then, is now just an every day occurrance.and you blend with the flow. California is basically a self-sufficient state, in that this state produces virtually everything without having to get it elsewhere. So many places to see, but there is an attitude in this state and you tend bend rather than be too rigid. It's neither black nor white, but more gray matter and this took me some time to figure that out.
artgal48 | Inspirer 1 | 10.11.2013 4:14 AM
I don't like Brett's hosting style, at all. I think he lacks the experience to be a really good retail host. His background is in entertainment (he used to walk the red carpet and interview celebrities) wherein people will do or say anything to get viewership. I think HSN should offer training in communications or retail, if they don't already, before putting some of their hosts on air.
And I do think he is rude and disrespectful to the female hosts, for some strange reason. He seems to bully them or try to take the lead when co-hosting with them.
The hosts need to learn not to see themselves as the star of the show, but as a conduit through which the vendors shine.
Also, I don't think HSN objects to any valid criticism of Brett. I think HSN opposes slanderous, derogatory comments about anyone or anything. I'd like to be able to voice my opinion without being deemed a Brett basher.
hsnaddict2014 | Admirer 1 | 10.11.2013 12:44 AM
Oh Linda your comments do make me laugh. You seem to really hate Californians but yet you continue to live in California. ](*,)
Lindascoffee | Advisor 3 | 10.10.2013 7:37 PM
I do not believe Kergia is being mean but voicing "constructive criticism" of what occurred on the show and I do agree that show hosts have to be careful in their dialog whether the show host is Brett or any other show hosts. There have been some questionable statements from hosts in the past that could have gotten the censorship button pushed, but nothing was said or done about the remark. Brett forgets that California has its own rules like no other state. Living in sunny California, this is usual humor that many Californians understand, but people from other states might not ....sorry but that is the mannerisms of this particular state. When I first moved here years ago, I found it to be disturbing too, but it happens on a daily basis and in Los Angeles, he's absolutely right (whether you like it or not)...Los Angeles is a huge collection of all ethnic groups that have trouble speaking English, refuse to speak English or just beginning to learn the English language.

What Brett said is an undertone joke many Californians joke about every day, but I would caution what goes on in LaLaLand Ca, isn't necessarily politically correct and keep those thoughts away from the camera. And btw, English is the LEADING universal language many schools teach besides their native language, here at home and internationally.
KERIGA | Inspirer 1 | 10.10.2013 7:16 PM

One must remember that what is acceptable in a casual, private setting might be deemed inappropriate, insensitive, unsuitable or offensive utterances in public; especially in the workplace.

When are some people going to learn the difference between constructive criticism and "bashing"?

It's possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Ironic isn't it, that most often, those who quickly and inaccurately accuse others with whom they disagree of "bashing," are usually the ones who are most guilty of it themselves.

Neither is deserving of censorship in a country that prides itself on the Constitutional guarantee of Freedom of Speech.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Lindascoffee | Advisor 3 | 10.10.2013 7:00 PM
For those people who dislike Brett's hosting style , change the channel until a host comes on that you do like. I have a dislike for a few hosts on Hsn, but when they are on a show, I change the channel or shop online. It's that simple and its a solution to your problem of Brett.
1beachgirl | Advisor 1 | 10.10.2013 6:58 PM
The thread about Brett was locked because of the content of the bashing.

The "criticism" going on now is legitimate. Some may think it is mean but it is what the viewer sees.

As far as his remark about LA, come on people, all this political correctness is crazy and being carried way to far.

Everyone is getting so me, me, me. We are a diverse country and there are parts of this country that English is NOT the first language. I am so tired of hearing _______ American or ______American or________American.
If you are in America you are AMERICAN!
Lindascoffee | Advisor 3 | 10.10.2013 6:57 PM
I totally agree Pipman..here we go again with the Brett issue that will not die. The Talk Forum Administrator, please delete these threads about Brett Chuckerman so the Brett haters will go away and move on to better topics that are more positive in nature. There are many complaints that have been filed with the Brett haters on the "report of inappropriate" dialog box and I hope they again block this thread because it is heading in the same direction as the last threads.
hsnaddict2014 | Admirer 1 | 10.10.2013 6:42 PM
I have tried to watch Mr. Chuckerman but his style and demeanor on-air is uncomfortable. I find the best hosts are friendly, easy to watch and purchase from.
pipman | Pro 2 | 10.10.2013 6:13 PM
Oh please.

Get a real life Brett haters.

HSN already locked a bashing thread...HSN put a stop to this thread too.
Stevie201 | Admirer 3 | 10.10.2013 6:02 PM
When Brett was first hired I noticed he was rude to Carrie Smith, so I started turning the channel whenever he is hosting. I have noticed numerous threads complaining about Brett's hosting style. He may be related to someone at HSN that is why they are allowing this behavior to continue. I live in Los Angeles part of the year and speak 3 languages and feel offended by his comment.
Grannyjayne | Admirer 2 | 10.10.2013 5:06 PM
I also find that highly offensive and HSN should make Brett issue an apology to it's viewers.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Inspirer 1
KERIGA

HSN's Going To Get Complaints About Brett

At 10:30 AM ET today (10.10.2013) when Brett Chukerman was hosting a show featuring the wonderful Jean Dousset and his beautiful jewelry, Dousset apologized for his English saying, "...and I've lived in L.A. for 15 years."

Without missing a beat, Chukerman seized the moment, responding, "That's okay. Most people in L.A. don't speak English anyway and if they do, it's pretty broken."

Way to go, Brett!

How offensive. How immature. What if all those HSN customers in L.A. just stopped watching and buying?

Full disclosure - no, I don't live in L.A.; never have and probably never will, but this was just the latest example of an escalating trend by TV retailers toward hiring attractive, but immature, marginally skil~led, insensitive hosts. Don't the corporate executives realize that the on-camera talent serve as brand ambassadors? They are the face of your network. They are the viewers' introduction to the channel and its merchandise. First impressions are essential because all too often, you don't get a chance to make a second impression.

It's not just HSN; most of the TV shopping channels are guilty of this. Earlier today on ShopNBC, in the latest tactic in its re-branding plan, a "Get To Know Us" show featured a pair ShopHQ of co-hosts, a blonde and a brunette, frantically running around the set, undoubtedly fueled by Starbucks caffeine with Red Bull chasers, acting like refugees from some SNL sketch, improvising insipid skits allegedly to demonstrate everything from security lights to a space heater. If this was a strategy to engender trust and brand loyalty, then it was an epic fail.

When is management going to start monitoring these on-air antics, so that they can be critiqued and curtailed? Many of these hosts need to be reined in. When are these presenters going to take the time and initiative to review airchecks, a basic practice that's essential in continuing quality improvement. They need to be aware of their work in order to make adjustments so that they can take pride in what they do.

I find the diminishing educational level, verbal communication skills, demeanor - the overall quality and qualifications - of these new hires distressing and irritating. Why can't we return to the time when real hosts ruled? Remember Kathy Levine? Judy Crowell? Lisa Mason? Steve Bryant? Any or all of them could make a fortune today by teaching TV Shopping Show Hosting 101 seminars to the current crop.

Let's get back to polished, professional, articulate and educated.

Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
Grannyjayne

RE: HSN's Going To Get Complaints About Brett

I also find that highly offensive and HSN should make Brett issue an apology to it's viewers.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
Stevie201

When Brett was first hired I noticed he was rude to Carrie Smith, so I started turning the channel whenever he is hosting. I have noticed numerous threads complaining about Brett's hosting style. He may be related to someone at HSN that is why they are allowing this behavior to continue. I live in Los Angeles part of the year and speak 3 languages and feel offended by his comment.
Please use plain text.
Pro 2
pipman

Oh please.

Get a real life Brett haters.

HSN already locked a bashing thread...HSN put a stop to this thread too.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 1
hsnaddict2014

I have tried to watch Mr. Chuckerman but his style and demeanor on-air is uncomfortable. I find the best hosts are friendly, easy to watch and purchase from.
Please use plain text.
Advisor 3
Lindascoffee

I totally agree Pipman..here we go again with the Brett issue that will not die. The Talk Forum Administrator, please delete these threads about Brett Chuckerman so the Brett haters will go away and move on to better topics that are more positive in nature. There are many complaints that have been filed with the Brett haters on the "report of inappropriate" dialog box and I hope they again block this thread because it is heading in the same direction as the last threads.
Please use plain text.
Advisor 1
1beachgirl

The thread about Brett was locked because of the content of the bashing.

The "criticism" going on now is legitimate. Some may think it is mean but it is what the viewer sees.

As far as his remark about LA, come on people, all this political correctness is crazy and being carried way to far.

Everyone is getting so me, me, me. We are a diverse country and there are parts of this country that English is NOT the first language. I am so tired of hearing _______ American or ______American or________American.
If you are in America you are AMERICAN!
Please use plain text.
Advisor 3
Lindascoffee

For those people who dislike Brett's hosting style , change the channel until a host comes on that you do like. I have a dislike for a few hosts on Hsn, but when they are on a show, I change the channel or shop online. It's that simple and its a solution to your problem of Brett.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
KERIGA

One must remember that what is acceptable in a casual, private setting might be deemed inappropriate, insensitive, unsuitable or offensive utterances in public; especially in the workplace.

When are some people going to learn the difference between constructive criticism and "bashing"?

It's possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Ironic isn't it, that most often, those who quickly and inaccurately accuse others with whom they disagree of "bashing," are usually the ones who are most guilty of it themselves.

Neither is deserving of censorship in a country that prides itself on the Constitutional guarantee of Freedom of Speech.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Please use plain text.
Advisor 3
Lindascoffee

I do not believe Kergia is being mean but voicing "constructive criticism" of what occurred on the show and I do agree that show hosts have to be careful in their dialog whether the show host is Brett or any other show hosts. There have been some questionable statements from hosts in the past that could have gotten the censorship button pushed, but nothing was said or done about the remark. Brett forgets that California has its own rules like no other state. Living in sunny California, this is usual humor that many Californians understand, but people from other states might not ....sorry but that is the mannerisms of this particular state. When I first moved here years ago, I found it to be disturbing too, but it happens on a daily basis and in Los Angeles, he's absolutely right (whether you like it or not)...Los Angeles is a huge collection of all ethnic groups that have trouble speaking English, refuse to speak English or just beginning to learn the English language.

What Brett said is an undertone joke many Californians joke about every day, but I would caution what goes on in LaLaLand Ca, isn't necessarily politically correct and keep those thoughts away from the camera. And btw, English is the LEADING universal language many schools teach besides their native language, here at home and internationally.
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
16 Replies
10.10.2013 2:40 PM
0 Smiles
9 in Conversation

How can we help? Call or email us anytime... really!

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...