Tuxedo-clad Jay King Named 2010 HSN Jewelry Authority

by Partner JayKing on ‎03-09-2011 04:04 PM (29 Views)

I want to personally thank everyone who tuned into the February event and made it such a success. The Today’s Special was a big hit. I have already had a lot of positive feedback from viewers who have already received their shipment. Another extremely popular item was the new turquoise inlay mesquite burlwood box. I was truly amazed at how fast they sold out. This was our first attempt at making a product that used all American materials, and was also handcrafted in America. This was more complex and difficult than anyone can imagine. Since I received such overwhelming support, I am now planning on many more products for this new line.

The second big thing that happened was that I was honored this year by HSN at the Partner Recognition Gala I was presented with an award for being the 2010 Jewelry Authority. This was quite unexpected and a complete surprise. As this was a formal affair, it caught me off guard for several reasons:
First of all, dressing up for me is a nice pair of cowboy boots, clean blue jeans, clean shirt and a sports coat. That's about as fancy as it gets for me. Since I have only worn a tuxedo twice before in my life, this isn't something I am comfortable with. The first time I wore one, I was sixteen and it was my senior prom.
The second time around was on the final voyage of the Queen Mary 11 across the Atlantic from Britain. The only reason I wore one then was because it was a requirement to dine at night. So, no tux no food! I did leave it on board though, swearing to never wear one again. Well, never say never! I bought another one, and this time I'll keep it in the closet. The event turned out to be great fun and quite an experience.

Well, it's time to dust off the passport and start getting ready for my next trip. I'll be leaving on the 28th of February. If it all goes as planned,  I should arrive back home on April 15th--just in time for my first show on April 17th.
I am looking forward to the trip and all I have planned so far. I'll be travelling out West first to work on new designs, and then overseas to seek new rough materials and meet with some new miners I've lined up. At one point, I was planning to take the ferry over from Portugal to Morocco and look at new materials from Turkey and North Africa, but because of some of the political turmoil going on now I might have to rearrange this portion of the trip.
As always, I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, so I'll keep you posted.
Safe Travels,
Jay
More from Jay King on hsn.com:
» Shop all Mine Finds by Jay King Jewelry
» The story behind Jay King Jewelry
» How to take care of your gemstones
» Read more from Jay King’s blog

Comments
by wiscontwin52 on ‎03-09-2011 06:18 PM

Dear Jay - Congratulations on your award! You deserve it 100%. Have safe travels and I can't wait to see what you bring us next! See you in April!

by (anon) on ‎03-09-2011 06:31 PM

Thanks so much. I trully was honored and it took me by surprize to hear my name called. I'm running into some interesting things so far. Looks to be a productive trip. Best J

by preciouswood on ‎03-09-2011 11:32 PM

Hi Jay.Congratulations on being honored, and being presented with an Award, for being the 2010 Jewelry Authority by H.S.N. at the Partner Recognition Gala in February! Even though you are not comfortable with dressing up formally, you looked very handsome in your tuxedo at this Gala Event. My father, who you remind me of, never liked to dress formally either---except when he and his lady friend went out to dinner occasionally, and, of course, at my wedding 29 years ago (Dec. 1981).

by preciouswood on ‎03-09-2011 11:55 PM

Sweet Jay, because of your great dedication to your career for the past 30 + years, and using your God-given talent to the fullest by traveling all over the world to find the best rough material, and designing such phenomenal Jewelry pieces, you, truly, deserve such a prestigious Award as this.I am very proud of you! I have acquired quite a few pieces of your beautiful Jewelry Collection during the past few years---and I love every piece. Take care, and be safe in your travels. L.O.L.

by (anon) on ‎03-10-2011 07:05 AM

Thanks Carol it was an honor, yet you've meet me so you know I'm pretty much blue jeans and cowboy boots. Hope all is well hopefully we'll have lots of new materials to work on soon. Best J

by Casper657 on ‎03-12-2011 02:00 PM

Jay,
I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the pieces that you have conceived and made as well as the attention to detail. I would love to see you incorporate some hematite into your amethyst or orange pieces. There was one consumer that was angry about the country of origin being China. I am pretty sure that you are retrieving gems from Africa, Chili, etc and having some of the design put together in China. You may want to clarify this somewhere. Keep traveling!
Best, Dr. R

by June528_1 on ‎03-12-2011 09:27 PM

Jay:
Congrats on your award! You deserve it. Well I received my TS earrings from last month, all I can say is WOW!! They are GORGEOUS! I also bought a number of other things. I love the corn row malachite heart necklace and the mosaic mother of pearl and black agate necklace. WOW, everytime I get your pieces they are even better and LARGER in person. Best of all, I appreciate how you stand behind your products, I never worry about getting a piece from Mine Finds!

by bigknanook on ‎03-13-2011 12:05 AM

Congratulations, you are such a talented jeweler, designer, gemstone explorer. I found you a couple of years ago on hsn. I love gemstone rings and you always have my sizes, 11 and 12. That is very hard to come by. Before I found you I had to have everything sized. I've been hoping for a nice lapis, north-south design, that makes my large hands look alittle slimmer. I always get a bang for my buck as you say! My problem is not breaking the bank ha ha. Keep up the great designs and stones.

by preciouswood on ‎03-13-2011 05:52 PM

Hi Jay. It was nice to hear from you again. Where were you when you answered my Blog on March 10 at 5:05 A.M.? I am not an "Early Morning" person, and now we had to move the clocks up an hour this weekend so I had to lose an hour of sleep yet. That was terrible. I know you are a "Blue Jeans and Cowboy Boots" man, and that's fine with me. I don't wear blue jeans a lot, but I am a casual dresser and wear different colored tops. (To be continued on next Blog)

by preciouswood on ‎03-13-2011 06:02 PM

Jay. Your beautiful jewelry pieces really complement, and complete my outfits so nicely---they really lift up my spirits too. Did you write down my ideas I gave you regarding your Amber material and the "History Cards" that you could make up for each of your rock specimens? What part of the country are you in now? Please let me know your thoughts about my two Blogs I have written to you here today---Mar. 13. Take care, and be safe in your travels, Jay. L.O.L.

by BOSSDOGG on ‎03-14-2011 03:31 PM

Hi Jay, Thanks for Old Navajo Pawn responce.Got three in Gallup to check out.Love the TSV earring .Didnt have the Turq on ten mins and they got complimented.I will let you know what I dig up in Gallup.Happy St. Patricks Day wherever you are.Have a classmate lives in Capitan. Is that any where near you? I am in N. Y. state, very far to do busines.

by preciouswood on ‎03-14-2011 07:59 PM

Hi Jay. I hope everything is okay with you. You had mentioned in your current Blog, dated March 9, that you are planning to make some new products with this Mesquite Burlwood material. If you could make an 18mm-22mm Nugget-type Beaded Necklace with a Pendant out of that type of wood, that would be gorgeous! I just love Necklaces made out of natural wood and, of course, Petrified Wood as well! (To be continued on the next Blog)

by preciouswood on ‎03-14-2011 08:13 PM

Jay. Also, I saw a pair of Italian-Carved Turquoise Rose Earrings in one of my catalogs recently. The Turquoise looked liked, maybe, Sleeping Beauty, Anhui, or Redskin---that beautiful "Robin Egg" color. I was wondering if you would be interested in making up a Carved Turquoise Rose Pendant, about 3" L., providing you would have any or enough material to make up a project like this. (To be continued on the next Blog)

by preciouswood on ‎03-14-2011 08:20 PM

Regarding the Carved Turquoise Rose Pendant that I had previously mentioned, I think that most women, including myself, would love to wear this neat, feminine piece, and have it in their jewelry collection. Please let me know your thoughts on this when you are available to check on your Blog Site. I will stop talking now. Take care, and please be safe in your travels, Jay. L.O.L. (Lots Of Love)!

by (anon) on ‎03-15-2011 06:38 AM

Hi still in the states traveling around. Having alot of problems with my schedule because of all thats going on in the world right now. I leave soon overseas. I noted your ideas. If you can keep it a little short now it would help out. I've got lots going on Thanks Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-15-2011 06:42 AM

I travel and live several places.Gets interesting sometimes keeping all the bills paid on time. I'm still in the states getting ready to go overseas end of this week. I'm so happy you like the earrings. It makes me feel good you are getting compliments. Capitan is south of my home and offices in New Mexico. Have fun in Gallup. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-15-2011 06:44 AM

Thankyou for your interest and support. Without you I couldn't do what I love. I'll design a lapis ring this trip and see if I can get it placed this year. So glad you like what we do, it makes me feel good about it all to hear that. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-15-2011 06:48 AM

Thanks so much I'm not really good at the awards thing just between you and me. Glad you love your earrings. I've gotten alot of positive feedback so far which makes my day. Just so you know as long as I'm above ground and kicking I will always stand behind my designs if you ever have a problem. Take care J

by (anon) on ‎03-15-2011 06:52 AM

Thanks for your input. I'm designing this week hot and heavy so I'll see if I can put your idea to good use. Thanks I try to explain to everyone. I make each piece litterally all over the world. No one piece can be made in one location. It's just not possible. The mesquite box was my first atempt at such a project. I can't even tell you what we went thru to make it happen. If I did everything like that project you wouldn't see much from us. Thanks for the support J

by preciouswood on ‎03-15-2011 05:50 PM

Hi Jay. I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your schedule because of all of the events going on all over the world right now. When you do go overseas, please be careful and safe. As always, I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you are not planning a trip to Japan. It is very dangerous over there right now---as I am sure you are aware. I will keep my messages shorter, and I will try not to bother you too much right now. Take care, and be safe in your travels, Jay. L.O.L.

by preciouswood on ‎03-15-2011 11:18 PM

Hi Jay. I just wanted to convey some words of encouragement to you. Sometimes, things don't always go the way we'd like them to. We each have our cross to carry, and go on with our lives. Try to be a little patient, slow down, relax, and enjoy life a little bit. Things usually have a way of working out for the best in the long run. I hope you can get your travel schedule back on track. Take care, and be safe, my friend. L.O.L.

by calgal427 on ‎03-16-2011 01:09 AM

Jay, congrats.....What's the surprise about? Your the best!!! Not only do you put out the best of the best products, but I have to say you also have the best customer service ever!! Thank you for fixing my broken pendant. "Wow" not even two weeks counting from the time I sent it......Thank You, Thank You, Thank You....Forever a loyal customer...Best wishes..Lauri

by ALEXANDRITE77 on ‎03-16-2011 12:29 PM

Hi Jay. I enjoy your shows & have purchased many of your pieces.
Best wishes on your overseas travels, things have become more difficult in recent times but we know you always persevere through it all. I purhcased your gorgeous inlay turquoise and opal necklace and bracelet over a year ago. At the same time I purchased the ring. This has been on a waitlist 3 times which is up again 3/18th. Are you going to bring this one back? Item#:720-683
Jay King Turquoise and Micro Opal Doublet Ring.

by marjsd on ‎03-16-2011 06:27 PM

Jay,
Love your pieces. Any possiblity in a lapis chip necklace without a pendant?
Thanks! Continue with your great insight and designs!

by (anon) on ‎03-17-2011 07:49 AM

Thankyou so much for the kind words. Just so you know I have some of the best people in the world that work with me and make me look good. We really do care about everyone and will always do our best to take care of you. If it wasn't for you we couldn't do what we love. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-17-2011 07:52 AM

This is a Gallery piece so we won't make it again. If you want go to customer service. Look up keyword Jay King. This will tell you how to send us your personal info. The only way we might have one is if we have the original quality control samples. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-17-2011 07:55 AM

You must be a mind reader. You're not going to believe what I designed yesterday. I'll give you three quesses and the first two don't count. Keep in mind if I designed it yesterday you probably won't see anything till years end. It takes along time because of how we make everything. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-17-2011 07:55 AM

Thanks traveling is pretty harsh this year so far. Best J

by SugarBear5583 on ‎03-17-2011 10:22 AM

Hi Jay, Would you consider doing a 20" collar for us plus size girls? You just can't find anything over 18". I would be very grateful!

by marjsd on ‎03-17-2011 11:23 AM

Great!! I will be watching and waiting for it!!
Thank you!

by preciouswood on ‎03-17-2011 04:25 PM

Hi Jay. I hope everything is going better for you today. My friend, who is also my husband's R.D.H. at his office, Dana, told me that she had ordered another Necklace from your beautiful collection. It was your Sandstorm Picture Rock Beaded Necklace (Item No. 967-693). I was so happy to hear this. I told her that she will just love it! I had worn mine last month and modeled it for her when I was in the office to have my teeth cleaned. She was very impressed with it.(To be continued on next Blog)

by preciouswood on ‎03-17-2011 04:46 PM

Jay---And then there is my husband's D.A., Jean, who is so skeptical and frugal. However, while I was having my teeth cleaned one day last month, Jean put on my Sandstorm Picture Rock Beaded Necklace, and sneaked away into the bathroom to look at it in the mirror. She's really not into jewelry too much, but she must have really liked this piece. One of these days, I'll make a sale on one of your gorgeous pieces from her yet! (Laugh) Be careful if you do go overseas, Jay. Take care. L. O. L.

by CHERYLH661 on ‎03-18-2011 12:13 AM

I have worn many of your pieces in Taos and Santa Fe. Comments are always made on your jewelry. Best comment: Museum quality!
You did a silver and lapis necklace piece about a year ago. Will you make it again? Large stiff silver with the lapis beads. I missed out on it. Also I have a piece that some of the turquoise inlayed fell out. 2 pieces fell out, I only found 1. Can you repair my necklace? Tell me where to send and how you want my payment. Keep up the wonderful work!

by FPRATT on ‎03-18-2011 04:19 AM

When is your men's line coming out? I have given my wife many of your pieces. Now it's my turn.

by (anon) on ‎03-21-2011 12:32 PM

I have several things in the works for us guys. I've been experimenting with many mixed metals as well for this new line. Most of what I designed is big and heavy, things that I wear. You'll see it soon. Thanks for the interest. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-21-2011 12:35 PM

If it's what I think your asking about the answer would be no. This was part of our Gallery Designs. We only make them one time and then thats it. I will always be coming up with more of these limited editons. I hope you'll see something you like. Thanks for the feedback. You know Toas and Santa Fe are where alot of designers show their goods. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-21-2011 12:36 PM

Thanks for the support Carol. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-21-2011 12:36 PM

It will be coming soon. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-21-2011 12:37 PM

You got it I'm in a design meeting in the morning and I'll get a sample made. Best J

by preciouswood on ‎03-21-2011 10:18 PM

Regarding your very short message to me Jay, you're welcome. I believe in you, Jay. Because you put your whole heart and sole into finding the best gemstones and rock specimens from all over the world in order to design and make all of your jewelry from this material, while keeping God's creations so natural, I think that it is definitely worth supporting your work. You really are a "Legend in your own time" as you have said on some of your Trunk Shows on H.S.N. Take care, and be safe. L. O. L.

by preciouswood on ‎03-22-2011 02:01 AM

Hi Jay. In my Blog I wrote to you earlier tonight, I had misspelled a word in it. I typed in by mistake, "your whole heart and sole". I meant to say, "your whole heart and soul"---meaning spirit, not the sole of your shoe, even though you do walk all over the world on the soles of your cowboy boots too. I'm sorry about that. Take care. Good night, Jay. L. O. L.

by weezie102_1 on ‎03-24-2011 09:30 PM

I just wish you would make earrings to go with the beautiful Rainbow Calcilica Bead 18" Necklace. They do not have to match, just coordinate.
Sorry, I did not know how to post this without replying to a post.

by robin471 on ‎03-26-2011 04:25 PM

Jay I have many many pieces of your jewerly and love them all Ilove to hear where they are from and all information on them. what I wish is that you would come out with a book with pictures of the jewerly pieces and info, I wish I knew what all the stones that are in my collection as I have been with you since your start at hsn, now I at least write the names down but all your wonderful information on them is gone. please consider this. thank you so much for the wonderful stones and storys

by jules144 on ‎03-26-2011 06:59 PM

jay
thank you for being a man of your word! i had written you concerning my broken jewelry and sure enough you repaired it all! very fast service back and forth and now i can finally wear thwm again! i always said you were the best, and i was right! can't thank you enough jay!

by (anon) on ‎03-27-2011 05:17 PM

It's not just me it's us. I work with a big family. Just so you know we stand behind what we do and will always take care of you on anything you buy from us as long as I can. Without you we can't do what we love. Thanks for the support Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-27-2011 05:20 PM

Thanks you know I'm really thinking about doing this. It's easy to say but sometimes hard to do. I have been writing a few things down and I think this might be something I need to do. I can't promise but I'll work on it. Thanks for the ideas and support. Best J

by (anon) on ‎03-27-2011 05:21 PM

I don't have any material now but when I get some I will. Thanks for your input J

by jetast on ‎03-29-2011 09:28 PM

Dear Jay & Co. - Thank you for your assistance in replacing my pink opal magnetic bracelet. So much appreciated. I remain a big fan!
In the spirit of admiration, I offer two suggestions for your consideration:
a. please use more lever-back findings on your dangle earrings
b. I echo the call for a book or a method of providing info on the stones and their origins. Perhaps a writer could travel with you for a season and capture your knowledge as you go!
Take care & thanks again.

by preciouswood on ‎03-31-2011 12:36 PM

Hi Jay. I wonder where in the world you are right now. I was wondering if you could get a nice piece of Malachite rough material, about 5" L. x 2" W., for my Keepsake Collection. Also, I wanted to ask you if you would consider making nugget-type necklaces using some of your various colored rough Agate and other stones---not fancy-cut, but just polished rough stones? These would be just awesome! I hope you are doing well. I miss you. Take care, and be safe wherever you may be.

by jewelqn on ‎04-05-2011 04:01 PM

What is your blue sakura stone? I've seen some of it, but don't know if it's an agate or jasper or what. Also, what country is it from?
Thanks!!

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.