Jay King is back - Feb. 16-18!

by Partner JayKing on ‎01-31-2013 02:04 AM (70 Views)

Well it’s that time of year once again. I’ve spent all January catching flights and visiting all kinds of mines. Now it’s time to return home and head out for the Tucson Gem Show once again. For those of you who don’t know about the Tucson show, it’s like the super bowl for rock hounds, and gem and jewelry manufactures. This particular show is only held once a year, and isn’t really one show but several shows all being held simultaneously. It lasts over a month starting in the middle of January and lasting until late February. As far as I know it’s the largest event of this type in the whole world. During this event people gather from all over the world and bring the materials they’ve mined or the crafts and jewelry they’ve created. If you can’t find what you want in the fossil world or gemstone world at this event, it probably doesn’t exist. It doesn’t only take over the entire town of Tucson Arizona, but also small towns like Quartzite and as far north as Laughlin Nevada. If you’ve never been then I definitely recommend you put it on the must do list for this lifetime. Even if you don’t buy anything, which I think you would find difficult, it’s worth just going to people watch and see the sites.  I usually have done my shopping with the miners previous to the show or we meet to finalize our deal during the event but I’m never surprised when I find something new and different or make a new contact.
So this week I return back to home base in Florida. Someone who knows me well once asked me, "You live in several places that I know of. Which do you call home?" I like to say it’s a small town called Samsonite. Because home is where I wake up that particular day. This has become a way of life for me and I wouldn’t change it for anything else in the world. I love meeting new people and experiencing other cultures. I get to see so many things that most don’t get to see and sometimes I have to say when things are running rough I question why it is that I keep doing this, but after we’ve made it through the rough waters it’s always a rush and something to laugh about and of course another story to tell.
Since this trip will require numerous stops I’ll be flying myself out and so when I get home I have time to repack my bags and then off to the great southwest. I return on the 16th, 17th, and 18th for my February Mine Finds show. It’s funny because some of what you will be seeing was collected or negotiated at last Februarys Tucson Gem Show; I have put pictures of the rough for two items coming up in the show, along with the beautiful pieces of jewelry we created. It takes a long time from the time we make the initial discovery till we get the pleasure of showing you what we discovered and created. I also want to make sure that you all tune in and checkout our Today’s Special – it’s favorite of all the women in my life and I am so looking forward to sharing with you!  So time to kick the tires and light the fires.
Until then Safe Travels, J

Comments
by LadyL555 on ‎02-01-2013 05:26 PM

Nice blog, Jay ! I Love your jewelry and I Love You! I always look forward to watching your show. Everything you bring is interesting and beautiful! Your stories are so entertaining and funny ! I can't wait to see what you found at the Tucson Gem Show ! I own quite a few of your pieces and look forward to owning more. Until then, Safe Travels to you!

by (anon) on ‎02-03-2013 05:41 AM

Thankyou so much for taking the time to write. I just arrived today in Tucson in my trusty aircraft. I love flying especially since the weather was great the whole trip. Thats not always the case. I'm excited to get started in the morning and start looking around to see if I can find something new and maybe find a new miner or a private collection. Hope you can take the time to tune in on the 16th. Best J

by techbo on ‎02-03-2013 05:19 PM

I have a couple of Jay King copper bangle bracelets that need repair (different issues on each one). Where can I send them to Jay for repair?

by (anon) on ‎02-04-2013 07:19 AM

Just so you know I stand behind anything you buy from us. We take great pride in what we do and also taking care of anyone who buys from us. If you go to hsn customer service and enter my name this will tell you how to send us your personal information in a secure manner. Then we will contact you and make sure and take care of any problem you might have with you pieces. Best J

by FrenchFry9 on ‎02-04-2013 10:22 AM

I look forward to seeing all the new designs you'll be featuring in your February shows. I have several of your signature disc necklaces in the stones for which you are famous, namely turquoise and lapis. I bet you have some extra discs in your stockpiles. How about using them to make some dangle earrings to match those necklaces?

by PinkMomi888 on ‎02-04-2013 07:14 PM

Hi Jay!
I really enjoy reading your blog; you are interesting, write well and I like hearing about your adventures. Thank you so much for sharing and taking the time out to keep us all updated. I'm not one of those Facebook/Blog people so that I read your blog means a lot for me (ha). I can't wait to see your shows, as I usually learn so much more about your interesting gems & "rocks". I have many beautiful pieces from your Mine Finds. I guess quite a good number, as my husband will identify pieces I wear with, "Oh, THAT'S a Jay King!" He even impresses our friends and clients by knowing many obscure gemstones. He loves hearing about my new Mine Finds from you. Mahalo for sharing your world!

by techbo on ‎02-04-2013 08:26 PM

Thanks Jay, I know you do... and I'm a true JK supporter. I have a massive JK collection and I have been very happy with your products. It is nice to purchase from a man of such character and dedication to his clientele.

by (anon) on ‎02-05-2013 10:24 AM

Well you would be right about that. It's funny I was just thinking the same thing. We have so many things in the main warehouse its almost mind boggling at times. When you've done this as long as we have its amazing what you collect. I'll see what I can put together, keep in mind I've already written all my shows just finishing July now and so it will be later in the year before we could do anything. Thanks for the idea. Best J

by (anon) on ‎02-06-2013 10:00 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write. I must confess the blog thing is really new to me, but its a great way to stay in touch and handle problems in a direct manner, also I get lots of ideas which really is a big help. I wish I could tell all the stories but some of them you just can't. I get to see some really interesting things and sometimes its not so funny at the time, but once you get thru it all its kinda funny then, and you lived to tell the story. I really love what I do and I'm grateful to everyone who supports us so we can keep on doing it. Best J

by medblue on ‎02-07-2013 08:38 PM

Hey, Jay. When is the best time for regular folks to attend the Tucson gem show? A friend of mine has what she hopes is a zultanite ring from Turkey. She needs someone who is familiar with the gemstone to appraise it. Any suggestions on someone in the Southeast? We want to go to Tucson--maybe next year. Looking forward to seeing your show on HSN in a few days. Hope you are well. Thanks.

by (anon) on ‎02-08-2013 07:08 AM

I'm still in Tucson but I'm going to fly myself and a freind up to Albuquerque sunday to look at some rough before heading back to Florida. I've been coming for over thirty some odd years and I don't think I've come close to seeing everything. The Tucson show has something for everyone and there are so many shows and so many differant vendors open to the public I would say anytime during the event is a good time. It just goes on and on. I would recomend the first two weeks of Febuary for sure. I would contact the GIA and see if they have someone they recomend in your area for an apprasial, That would be the safest bet on getting something accurate. Best J

by Admirer 1 lashopper256 Admirer 1 on ‎02-11-2013 03:21 PM

I see you are coming back to HSN in a week! There are a pair of lapis stud earrings that are going to be part of the show sized 5/8"x5/8" that are around $75. Last year you had a mini stud earring set in three colors and I was hoping you'd bring them back in more colors (lapis being one of them). Are there any plans to bring back those mini stud earrings?

by jennijade on ‎02-12-2013 04:41 PM

I have many pieces of Jay King jewelry.....love it......BUT...I have--my fault entirely--broken clasps on a couple of pieces....how could I have them repaired? ALSO, it would be wonderful if inside the boxes with the jewelry is a description: i.e. Sleeping Beauty , Kingman, Bamboo Coral, Strawberry Coral....I have several types of turquoise, and I have forgotten which is which.:smileysad: I love Jay King...I watch even when my budget won't allow me to buy....love flex pay........

by (anon) on ‎02-13-2013 12:35 PM

I did these new studs because we had so many requests for more studs. I can do the same look in differant materials also. I'll make a note of it Best J

by (anon) on ‎02-13-2013 12:39 PM

I'll always stand behind anything you buy from me as long as I'm still kickin. If you go to HSN customer service and enter my name it will tell you how to send us your personal info in a secure manner. We'll take care of any issue you might have with anything you've purchased from us. I'll see what we can do about your other request Best J.

by Admirer 1 bully2 Admirer 1 on ‎02-14-2013 09:46 AM

Hi Jay. Just like in some of your videos, I have some issues with your copper. A piece that's of particular concern to me because I like it so much is the Tidepool Stone necklace with pendant and (which has a silver and copper tree) -- I've got the matching ring as well. When you aired that piece in particular, you talked about a new treatment that you were using on your copper pieces to help prevent tarnish, presumably by popular demand, and that if we encountered a problem with this piece, to get in touch with you directly, rather than with HSN. How exactly do we do that though? Please advise. For the record, every time I wear the piece, it gets noticed and I'm afraid that I'll get choked as people grab my neck(lace). Both the chain for the clasp and the pendant itself are showing noteworthy tarnish. I was storing it in the zipper anti-tarnish bag in which it arrived, but then I switched to the Colleen Lopez anti-tarnish jewelry box from here at HSN. The Seraphinite Ring in copper/silver you offer here arrived tarnished in the bag, your cloth didn't remove it all after quite a bit of elbow grease. I am sorry to say that I ultimately returned that one because I really liked wearing it with the Tidepool Stone ensemble, it was very complimentary. Advice? Look forward to hearing from you Jay, and to your shows this weekend! M

by lovemuffins on ‎02-14-2013 03:51 PM

Hi Jay. I just wanted to express my gratitude towards your repair department. Over the years of collecting your pieces I have broken a couple of pieces and sent them in for repair. I was shocked how quickly I received my repaired items back and that they were sent overnight express. There is no other jewelry company that does this. It is premium service with no cost to us, the customers. I truly appreciate the hassle free service your team provides. Please tell them about my posting.

by littlebearlane on ‎02-15-2013 07:28 PM

Hi, Jay! I love your jewelry and enjoy owning several beautiful pieces. My newest is your hearts necklace with round beads and seven hearts in graduated sizes, all in rose quartz. I am so happy and proud to wear such a lovely piece made by the hands of skilled craftspeople who love what they do! I know you've done versions of this necklace before using other stones. Would you consider making it using amethyst please? Purple is my favorite color. Thank you for considering my request. And thank you for bringing us such amazing finds from all over the world! I am always eager and excited to see what you will bring us next! All my best, Elizabeth

by KCinSoCal on ‎02-16-2013 01:23 AM

Hi Jay, will the copper cleaning kit be available this trip? I have so many of your copper pieces but cannot wear them because they are so tarnished and I have tried so many ways to clean them. I am really desperate. I want to wear them again and have invested so much in them. Help!

by blueetta on ‎02-16-2013 02:58 AM

DEAR JAY, COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME ABOUT THE BLUE BASIN?I'VE HEARD YOU SPEAK OF IT AND THE PCE I'M CURIOUS ABOUT IS TTHE SOUARE STERLING PENDANT THAT IS ON SALE .ITS TURNED TO BE DIAMOND SHAPE AND HAS ETCHING ON THE BACK.I WAS SO EXCITED TO GET IT BUT WHEN MY HUSBAND LOOKED AT THE DETAILS IT SAYS IT'S COMPRESSED!! I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CAN GO ON & ON ABOUT HOW SPECIAL IT IS AND NOT MENTION THAT IT IS COMPRESSED.ISN'T THAT POWDERED TURQ CUT FROM A COMPRESSED BLOCK? ALSO JAY WHY DO MOST OF YOUR PCS SAY PRODUCT OF CHINA?IVE THOUGHT FOR THE 15 YRS IVE BEEN BUYING YOUR JEWELRY THAT THEY WERE MADE IN ALBUQ.NEW MEXICO.I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT MY HUSBAND ASKED ME THESE QUESTIONS AND I COULD NOT ANSWER THEM THANKS BLUES ETTA

by KCinSoCal on ‎02-16-2013 04:00 PM

I've been wondering the same thing about all the origin/made in China items. I can understand this if the mine find itself was mined in China, but China is shown for almost every mine find on HSN!

by Stacyeh on ‎02-16-2013 04:54 PM

Hey Jay! Glad to see you back. I must say that the 2012 collection was spectactular so I am excited to see how you top yourself. I do have a few (2) suggestions. 1) one of the previous comments was about earrings: Why don't you make a sterling hoop with a screw on ball closure or whatever to keep the stone slipping off then offer pairs of stones to add on to the hoop and dangle. That way you could use up extra stones that you have and you could make several different size hoops( I like big) and different size/shape stones(big again). I am a matchy girl and love to have eaarings to match my necklaces. I think it would be a huge hit and you could make smaller ones for those that request the small.2) You really need vanity tags for your jewelry to protect your brand I was on Ebay and someone was selling a Jay King piece and it was NOT! and terrible quality.Since you have ni ID mark it is hard to tell. Love ya, be watching Sunday. PS Ordered from DRT and you have the the sweetest employees!

by lilyS121 on ‎02-17-2013 03:45 AM

I have a few of your pieces (necklaces and a ring) and I love them. Could you please make more light weight earrings. I have a turquoise necklace that came with matching earrings and though I love them I can't wear them cause they are too heavy and pull on my ear. Really like the new designs, beautiful.

by PuertoPrincess on ‎02-17-2013 05:22 AM

Hi Jay! I told myself I was not going to buy anything this time around. Lord knows I have enough jewelry for several people! Then I caught the preview of your TS during the overnight show. I had to have the turquoise earrings! I have many turquoise necklaces from you including two Nako ones. I love all of my pieces. I just bought a rainbow calsilica necklaces of yours from Ebay. I saw it presented several times on hsn so I know its genuine. I need some matching pieces for it. When can I expect to see more calsilica pieces? You are my favorite jewelry line and I live stream you from Sicily. Thanks for all you do!

by (anon) on ‎02-17-2013 08:54 AM

Some of the older styles didn't have the new treatment, but we've come up with our own cleaning kit. That will safely clean any of our jewelry. It was suppose to air in this show but now its April. If you go to HSN Customer service and enter my name it will tell you how to send us your personal information in a secure manner and we will help you resolve any issues you might have with anything you buy from us. Thanks for your interest and support. Best J

by (anon) on ‎02-17-2013 08:57 AM

Thanks we take pride in taking care of anyone who buys from us and we will always take care of you no questions asked anytime as long as I'm still kickin. I have a wonderful group of folks that support me and they always do a great job. Thanks for taking the time to write. J

by (anon) on ‎02-17-2013 09:00 AM

Hi Elizabeth I'll write your request down and see what can be done. I'm headed to Morroco next month to visit a new amethyst mine so I'll see how that develops and keep you posted on its progress. It has red hairs running through it, spectaculor new Mine Find. Best J

by (anon) on ‎02-17-2013 09:02 AM

It was suppose to be available this show but we had some issues with th label so now it looks like May but I'll post it as soon as possible. If you contact us through HSC cutomer service we will be more than happy to help you and make sure it can be cleaned to your santisfaction. Best J

by (anon) on ‎02-17-2013 09:16 AM

Okay maybe I can answer both questions at once here. Blue Basin is an exclusive to us at Mine Finds it comes from only one particular vein in the Kingman mine. We use the turquoise in many ways. Usually as cut cabachons or natural freeform nuggets. Marty also take nuggets the size of a dime or larger and they have a process they do in Kingman where they can compress them together. It's not easy and it's an art in itself.It just alows us to make bigger pieces in a fashion which uses the material wisely. It isn't a powder and that wouldn't be possible for us. Nothing is being made entirely in one location that would be impossible also in most cases.. Knowone does that I'm aware of. All the silver and metals sheet materials are created in Albuquerque, as well as design, and quality control, and administration. The materials come from around the world as does assembly for some of the designs. Not the car you drive or most of what we use in our daily lives is created in any other way. I'm always happy to discuss anything with you if there is a question or concern. We are making some items only in America with American materials but they are more exspensive and there is alot of price point concerns because of that. Hope this answers the question. Best J

by (anon) on ‎02-17-2013 09:18 AM

Thanks great idea I'll use it. We do have everything trademarked for just that reason, and I have the best people in the whole world that work with me. They really care just like I do. Thanks for the idea. J

by (anon) on ‎02-17-2013 09:21 AM

Okay as always I'll do my very best. If you'll contact us through HSN customer service and contact us directly we'll see what can be done with the ones that are to heavy. We really take lots of time and energy in our design process to make sure everything is wearer friendly. Best J

by gemsnob on ‎02-17-2013 11:46 AM

Why do you show limited quantity items on air? I am specifically referring to the boulder turquoise cuff. There was only a qty of 14. If you did not show it I might have been able to order it and actually get it. This is extremely frustrating!

by SugarBear5583 on ‎02-17-2013 11:49 AM

Jay, You have done several Phosphosiderite and Lavendar Opal necklaces in shorter lengths. Any plans to bring either in 24 or 26 inch ?

by Stacyeh on ‎02-17-2013 07:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. One of the ladies that called asked for Copper hoops and I thought Oh! I was thinking about just SS but Copper too would be great.I would by tons of stone charms and even mix them like putting turq/lapis together to match the amber/turq/lapis necklace. I bought the earring/rings in amber and turq and the hubei nugget necklace.Plus I just purchased 2 pairs of turq earrings and a necklace from DRT. Going to be eating beans this month! LOL (I am a vegetarian so no worries!). I love the mixing of gemstones with your natural stones. The citrine/turq earrings I hope you have more and the smoky/turq and smoky/lapis were to die for.I wanted everything. Great job!

by Pizzaluver Admirer on ‎02-17-2013 09:17 PM

Another earring Today's Special and us clip ladies are feeling like we weren't invited to the party.

by denisedk on ‎02-17-2013 11:42 PM

Jay, I am watching you with Colleen now, I wanted to place a testimonial call but I am too shy! :smileysad: I am a huge fan, I have over 250 pieces of yours. I wanted to let people know that what you say is true; I have my own small beaded jewelry business, and I have access to many retail and wholesale bead sources, but I can not make pieces for what you often sell for. Not to mention that most bead sellers don't even offer the materials you use, or the different shapes of the beads. I love love love your designs, thanks for doing what you do and maybe someday I'll get the courage to call. :smileyhappy:

by sanfran Admirer on ‎02-18-2013 12:15 AM

Jay, I waited up for the TSP and got the earrings! Then, I got the 3-pc. red coral set on the air after 10 pm. Can you tell me where the red coral comes from? The description on the website simply says "China" but that's not very descriptive. Is it the same source as the TSP coral earrings? When are you bringing more bowls/boxes?? I may have bought a few extra items to compensate for the loss of my cat and you have made me happy with your beautiful items....your description of the lack of turquoise available makes me glad I bought like crazy years ago from you.........I treasure all my turquoise, coral, laboradorite, lapiz and other items I've bought throughout the time you have been with HSN! Take care and stay well! Sandra

by gaitedhorses on ‎02-18-2013 01:21 PM

Jay, please get in touch with me, through HSN, I have my late Dad's mine finds, I would like you to look at, all needs to go into jewelry, clocks, bowls, etc. he was a rock hound, and silversmith. I have in the rough, slabs, cut, polished etc. a yard full. Tons of rocks. Joyce Mc

by GypsyDani on ‎02-18-2013 03:20 PM

Beautiful things Jay. Picked up the amber earrings which look wonderful. Iwas at Tucson in the Convention Cente hoping to find amber but only saw Colombian which is very pale and didn't get me. Fabulous things at the show but wonder if you ever plan to use Larimar from the Dominican Repulbic. Really beautiful stones. Also are you familiar with Elat Stone from Israel. Huge variety of blues and green and found out near King Solomons Copper mines.

by susan217 on ‎02-18-2013 03:52 PM

Jay,
My first purchase from HSN was a turquoise pendant of yours in the shape of hanging chilies (when they dry them) at the time I didn't know anything about turquoise and didn't pay any attention to where the turquoise came from. Now many years and lotsa lotsa pieces later I wanted to know if you remembered the piece and where the turquoise came from. I love your shows and the information you add. Be safe in your travels.

by sanfran Admirer on ‎02-18-2013 04:05 PM

I see you did the necklace I wanted so much in turquoise and silver, the reversible collar, in COPPER and turquoise......sob! When are you going to do this in silver and turquoise? Something like that saddle mt necklace you did a year ago?? Also, could you make a segmented turquoise and silver bracelet? Not a cuff, but one that lies easily on the wrist when one' s typing for hours on the computer?? Nice sections that are linked together and flexible....???? You still have lots of new ideas to bring us!

by Barbie25 on ‎02-18-2013 04:17 PM

Hi Jay, just purchased your multi gemstone cuff, #233-526 and understand you will be offering several more cuffs in the future months to go along with it. Have you considered offering the coordinating pieces on auto ship delivery over the next year so that interested people (ME!) can be guaranteed the new releases? Would hate to miss one.......

by swlady on ‎02-18-2013 04:18 PM

Hi Jay,
You've shown lots of wonderful jewelry on HSN during your long weekend. I would love to see more rectangular rings - I have one of yours in turquoise that I just love. I would like to have a tiger's eye rectangular ring and how about some more tiger's eye earrings. Also, I really like to have some earrings to match the carved coral and turquoise necklace which was a TS a few years ago. I've requested these several times; but I'll try to be patient. :smileyhappy: Do you still live in Albuquerque, or is Florida your main home now?

by MsDiana on ‎02-18-2013 04:43 PM

Hey Jay
Have been buying your things for a while now and for the most part have loved them all,have sent a few things back tho. I was wondering if you might ever do jewelry in Aquamarine? It is my b-stone. SAFE TRAVELS!!!!!!!

by gemsnob on ‎02-18-2013 05:00 PM

Jay what is the difference between "copper" and "rose metal"? You keep referring to some sort of treatment you are doing to prevent copper from tarnishing. Is rose metal what is treated?

by dawna28 on ‎02-18-2013 05:28 PM

Greetings, Jay!
Loved all your shows this weekend. I just heard you say your butterfly was made of purple opal from Mexico. I was wondering if it is from the same location as the lavendar opal cross you had not too long ago. I love that cross. Thanks again for making it.. Blessings 2 u, Teresa PS I agree with Colleen that gals love cross, hearts, and flowers. I am crazy for flowers, in dresses and jewelry. Have a wonderful day.

by lovemuffins on ‎02-18-2013 05:30 PM

Hi Jay. I purchased the lapis scrollwork ring and the necklace and earrings in the phosphosiderite desert rose collection this visit. I have a request. If you bring back the today's special in the future, can you please bring the ring and bracelet back in lapis. I have the original lapis necklace and earrings in this design and am missing the co-ordinating pieces. Thanks!

by Lanette72 on ‎02-18-2013 06:20 PM

Hi Jay, You have brought back some beautiful pieces and glad to see more stand alone pieces that can coordinate other items. I have question regarding Chrysoprase Sterling Silver Drop Earrings. I have a necklace from last year w/ chrysoprase and black stone and other greens. I have been looking for some chrysoprase earrings to match the necklace. I have some black onyx earrings that go well with it, but needing something to pop versus blending w/ my hair. Im curious about this stone and its pricing on the earrings. They appear to be more than the necklace and ring. Is this rare stone and what region of the world does it come from. Thank you for bringing beautiful contemporary design to natural stones.
-LCJ

by debbiejo on ‎02-18-2013 07:09 PM

Jay, I love you and your pieces! I've been watching you now for about 14 years. Today I purchased a ring, ear rings, and a pendant ear ring set, all turquoise. I was waiting to speak to you on the phone, but chickened out. I would like to make a request. I would love a pair of Dream Catcher ear rings. The circle, the web, and of course the 3 sets of feathers off the bottom of the circle all sterling, with a turquoise nugget caught in the web. The circle should be the size of a quarter with the feathers about an inch long. What do you think Jay? Call me! LOL

by alsgal95 on ‎02-18-2013 10:26 PM

Jay, still waiting on the copper cleaning kit. Love the copper jewelry but have some pieces that I just cannot wear because they are so tarnished. Any idea as to when the kits will be available. So desperately want to wear my copper pieces. Thanks so much!!!

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.