DarleneCahill | Partner | 07.24.2013 7:20 PM 3 People have Smiled

Hi Sewing Friend,

We are well into summer when picnics and outdoor dining is a relished retreat. Nothing can spoil a lighthearted gathering faster than an insect invasion----in the Iced Tea!!! These nifty tumbler and pitcher covers are simple and elegant and are sure to add an upscale flair to your next bar-b-que. They're easy and fast to make and you can find all the supplies at your local fabric and some craft stores. The fine tulle was by-the-yard and the beaded trim (although sometimes found in precut packages) was also a buy-the-yard cut from the home decor department.

SUPPLIES: calculate yardage depending on how many tumblers you're covering!

- 1/4 yd. tulle (this is enough for approx 6 tumblers and a pitcher)

- 1/2 yd. beaded trim for each tumbler and 1/3 yd. for the pitcher

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Use a round plate in an appropriate size to make your own template.

2) Mark and cut the number of circles you need for the tumblers and one larger one for the pitcher.

3) Overlap the bead trim's band over the edge of the circle with the right side facing you and the beads away from the circle.

4) Stitch the trim to the circle's edge using a narrow zig-zag. When you get to the end, cut a 2" allowance and fold the edge under and stitch in place. Trim the threads and cover up the lemonade!

FREE-MOTION EMBROIDERY---

Machine embroidery is fantastic but it will never replace free-motion thread painting to express your own point of view!

- Secure a layer of iron-on interfacing and then a sheet of iron-on tear away stabilizer to the Dupion Silk pillow-top and mark your circle centers.

- Free-motioned all the circles with various embroidery thread colors around the markings

-Cut out the center markings using small embroidery scissors

-Satin stitched around the small openings to finish the edges

-Bind the inside edges and attach a tie

- Cut a lining that will 'show pleasantly through the holes' and attach to the top within the seam allowance

-With right sides together sew the pillow pieces together as usual. MASTERPIECE!

TIPS FOR SEWING SUCCESS!

1) Remember to press each seam as you sew! All the pressing in the end cannot substitute for proper pressing along the way.

2) To ensure perfect alignment of intersecting seams, match up the seams and place a pin 90* straight into the seams and then secure the pin. Continue to pin the pieces in place on either side of the intersection.

3) When sewing outside ( convex) or inside curves (concave), use a slightly shorter stitch length and trim the seam allowance to 1/2". Then clip 1/4" into the seam allowance for concave and notch for convex at least every 1/2" before turning to press.

4) When a pattern calls for joining pieces where one is longer than the other, use a basting stitch to 'ease' the fullness of the longer piece until it's the same length as the shorter one.

5) To reduce the bulk inside seams, you can trim the interfacing to within 1/16 of an inch!

Wishing you a joy-filled July!!!!
Add your reply here...
COMMENTS
DaCrafty1 | New Friend | 08.07.2014 11:53 AM
Good idea thanks Darlene
shalakopat | New Friend | 08.03.2013 4:30 AM

At
! I found your blogs! Getting to know & use the various social sites is very frustrating since I am only fair to middling w /computer skills. It is lucky that I have an off beat sense of humor. Anyway, I will suffer any difficulties if I can share your work...both sewing and your blogs--not to mention your wonderful presentations on hsn. For the past year or so, my husband and I have watched every one of your presentations (and recorded them for future references.) So I just want to say Thanks! Keep up the good work! I bought ayour new dvd. I am eagerly awaiting the next two you are currently working on. Just do not stop there.

Add your reply here...

Darlene Cahill's July Sewing Projects!

by Partner DarleneCahill on ‎07-24-2013 07:20 PM - last edited on ‎11-07-2013 05:20 PM by Manager HSN_DaveJ (803 Views)

Hi Sewing Friend,

We are well into summer when picnics and outdoor dining is a relished retreat. Nothing can spoil a lighthearted gathering faster than an insect invasion----in the Iced Tea!!! These nifty tumbler and pitcher covers are simple and elegant and are sure to add an upscale flair to your next bar-b-que. They're easy and fast to make and you can find all the supplies at your local fabric and some craft stores. The fine tulle was by-the-yard and the beaded trim (although sometimes found in precut packages) was also a buy-the-yard cut from the home decor department.

SUPPLIES: calculate yardage depending on how many tumblers you're covering!

- 1/4 yd. tulle (this is enough for approx 6 tumblers and a pitcher)

- 1/2 yd. beaded trim for each tumbler and 1/3 yd. for the pitcher

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Use a round plate in an appropriate size to make your own template.

2) Mark and cut the number of circles you need for the tumblers and one larger one for the pitcher.

3) Overlap the bead trim's band over the edge of the circle with the right side facing you and the beads away from the circle.

4) Stitch the trim to the circle's edge using a narrow zig-zag. When you get to the end, cut a 2" allowance and fold the edge under and stitch in place. Trim the threads and cover up the lemonade!

FREE-MOTION EMBROIDERY---

Machine embroidery is fantastic but it will never replace free-motion thread painting to express your own point of view!

- Secure a layer of iron-on interfacing and then a sheet of iron-on tear away stabilizer to the Dupion Silk pillow-top and mark your circle centers.

- Free-motioned all the circles with various embroidery thread colors around the markings

-Cut out the center markings using small embroidery scissors

-Satin stitched around the small openings to finish the edges

-Bind the inside edges and attach a tie

- Cut a lining that will 'show pleasantly through the holes' and attach to the top within the seam allowance

-With right sides together sew the pillow pieces together as usual. MASTERPIECE!

TIPS FOR SEWING SUCCESS!

1) Remember to press each seam as you sew! All the pressing in the end cannot substitute for proper pressing along the way.

2) To ensure perfect alignment of intersecting seams, match up the seams and place a pin 90* straight into the seams and then secure the pin. Continue to pin the pieces in place on either side of the intersection.

3) When sewing outside ( convex) or inside curves (concave), use a slightly shorter stitch length and trim the seam allowance to 1/2". Then clip 1/4" into the seam allowance for concave and notch for convex at least every 1/2" before turning to press.

4) When a pattern calls for joining pieces where one is longer than the other, use a basting stitch to 'ease' the fullness of the longer piece until it's the same length as the shorter one.

5) To reduce the bulk inside seams, you can trim the interfacing to within 1/16 of an inch!

Wishing you a joy-filled July!!!!

Comments
by shalakopat on ‎08-03-2013 04:30 AM

At
! I found your blogs! Getting to know & use the various social sites is very frustrating since I am only fair to middling w /computer skills. It is lucky that I have an off beat sense of humor. Anyway, I will suffer any difficulties if I can share your work...both sewing and your blogs--not to mention your wonderful presentations on hsn. For the past year or so, my husband and I have watched every one of your presentations (and recorded them for future references.) So I just want to say Thanks! Keep up the good work! I bought ayour new dvd. I am eagerly awaiting the next two you are currently working on. Just do not stop there.

by DaCrafty1 on ‎08-07-2014 11:53 AM
Good idea thanks Darlene
Conversation Stats
2 Replies
07.24.2013 7:20 PM
3 Smiles
3 in Conversation

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...