DarleneCahill | Partner | 04.02.2010 3:20 PM

Hello Sewing Enthusiasts,

Now that spring is finally in the air you may be starting to reassess your springtime attire. Making piles will help you streamline your efforts so you'll have more time to spend on the creative fun stuff. Piles may be "KEEP" – (gently worn can go another season), "TOSS" – (out the door forever more---thrift store box), "RE-VAMP"– (dated piece but still good may need a little updating) and "HARVEST" – (remove usable parts for future use. 'Parts' may be buttons, collars, appliques, embroideries, or even zippers). Zippers are showing up in many of this spring's accessory reports. You can refashion them into bows, flowers or decorative swirls and reapply them on an otherwise boring pair of shoes, a necklace, handbag or hairpiece. These sandles were brand new when Rocksy decided to give her teeth a workout on the jeweled pins that once adorned the thong. The zipper flowers are soft and flexible but artsy and rockin' while sporting the metal teeth.
I saw this embroidered Magnet idea while attending the Sewing and Quilting Expo. These palm sized novelty gifts can be tucked into a greeting card and will add warmth, whimsy and personality to a refrigerator, file cabinet or even your computer tower!

To make your own DECORATIVE EMBROIDERED MAGNETS you will need:

SUPPLIES

• Your choice of favorite embroidered designs
• Large magnet sheet
• Industrial strength fabric and craft glue, such as E-6000
• Small, sharp, precise utility scissors
DIRECTIONS:
1. Carefully cut around embroidered designs being careful not to cut any threads
2. With embroidery design facing up, Trace the embroidery design outline on the front (white) side of the magnet Sheet
3. Cut the magnet sheet along the traced outline
4. Glue the embroidered design to the front of the cut-out magnet
5. Press design firmly- place a heavy book on top and allow to completely dry

What’s New?

Embroidery Enthusiasts will love this! HSN.com has added seven new embroidery design CDs to their sewing assortment. Beautiful execution in nine popular file formats, following is the view of the back of the CD so you can see all the designs contained within. Order one today

QUESTIONS ANSWERED
How do I use the Gathering foot?
The gathering foot is one of the feet that has to be screwed onto the presser foot shank. Once you have the gathering foot attached and both the bobbin and upper thread are threaded, (Be sure to pull the top thread through the foot's opening) The gathering foot can gather a single layer or add a gather to a flat piece.
1. To gather a single layer, position the lightweight fabric under the foot and lower the foot. For best results, use a straight stitch with a long stitch length. Using your locking stitch or back tacking at the beginning of the seam will keep the gathers from coming out near the edge. For increased fullness, increase the upper thread tension.
2. To make a gather that is attached to a flat piece place the fabric to be gathered on the bottom and slip the flat piece in the center slot. Make sure that both fabrics are facing right sides together. Slowly stitch and gently hold back the upper flat fabric while the bottom layer gathers and feeds through. TIP: Move your needle position to the extreme left!

How do I use the Ruffler Attachment?
Your Ruffler attachment is a foot that has to be attached to the presser foot shank. Make sure that the lobster claw is positioned on the needle screw so the foot will work properly.
The ruffler has three settings and can space a 'tuck or pleat' every 12 stitches, every 6 stitches or every stitch. Experiment first to ensure perfect results on your next project!

My needle threader isn't working on the Brother Computerized Machine.  What should I do?
Brother's computerized machines have a built in safety feature that protects the needle threader from crashing into a needle that is not in the right position. Make sure that the hand wheel is turned until the raised band on the hand wheel lines up directly with the notched seam on the machine at the center top of the wheel.

WHEN TO WATCH
April 27 Today’s Special A Brand New Singer Machine 12 am, 1 am, 8a m, 11 am, 12pm, 4 pm, 7 pm, 10 pm ET
See you next month!
Add your reply here...
COMMENTS
BettyBoop800 | New Friend | 05.25.2013 9:47 PM

Ms. Cahill, I have purchased three Singer machines from HSN: the heavy duty, the Athena, and the Plus One. I would like to know if there is a separate DVD that I can purchase showing the ways to use all of the presser feet that came with my machines. I did notice one came with the Plus One which aired recently. Unfortunately, I purchased my Plus One earlier this year and the DVD was not included. I would appreciate any help you can provide. I started sewing in my teens (I'm 73) on my mother's Singer treadle machine. I recently started sewing again after watching your demonstrations on HSN and I'm hooked again. I made aprons for my 7 granddaughters, curtains, place mats (from your sewing book), and am still sewing strong!! Thank you for your enthusiasm for sewing. It brought back my enjoyment again.

deee27 | New Friend | 09.05.2012 4:33 PM

I have a singer machine model SCHOLASTIC . I need to know where I can get the manual, for some reason I lost ,mine and please H E L P.

groomer97 | New Friend | 08.03.2012 12:20 PM

I can not get the gathering foot to work I'm doing exactly what the instructions say it just won't gather It's a singer. And does anyone know where I can get the fringe foot or flower foot. I have 6 sewing machines 2 that embroider I don't need another sewing machine just to get the feet.

fiskmo | New Friend | 05.22.2010 4:38 PM

This message is for the person who is having problems using the NEEDLE THREADER ON A BROTHER sewing machine. I've had a Brother machine for about 3 years, and for half of that time I had problems using the threader. I finally noticed that when I pushed the thread cassette down with less force, the needle would be threaded. When I pushed it down quickly and with more force, it never would thread. I hope this will help you.

JAAM | New Friend | 05.02.2010 8:15 PM

Darlene,
I hope a new brother sewing machine is in the works. I am waiting to purchase a sewing and embrodery machine from Brother preferably. I hope hsn has one in the works!

kel5vin | New Friend | 05.02.2010 3:12 AM

Darlene;
I am a quilter and in search of a long arm quilting machine. Do you think that any of your suppliers would offer a long arm machine complete with table for a reasonable price? Something that could be offered on flex pay? I have several different machines, but I dont have a long arm quilter which is perfect for working on large quilts. Flex pay makes it affordable. I have seen some nice machines for under $2500 which includes the table and the stitch regulator.
Help!!

"?

kyucker_1 | New Friend | 04.30.2010 10:21 AM

patty790 the athena 2009 has 30 built in stitches and the the stylist11 is actually like the curvy 8780 which has 227 different built in stitches. The athena is by itself where as the stylist11 comes with a 3-4 thread serger. The serger has improvements in comparison to the first stylist serger. You can go to Singer.com web site and compare the 2 sewing machines. Hope that this helps.

SewThankful | Visitor | 04.29.2010 11:03 AM

Oh Shucks Pottermom,
The software for the Futura is NOT compatible with Mac.
Hopefully you will consider purchasing a small HP laptop that you can devote entirely to embroidery. It is still well worth it when you consider the versatility that the Futura software offers compared to other embroidery machines at that pricepoint! Your question is appreciated!

SewThankful | Visitor | 04.29.2010 10:59 AM

Hi Luvprocaps, I just spoke with the VP from Singer and he told me that there were tables for the Quantum l-500 on the Way!!! Keep checking back on hsn.com in May. We're not sure exactly when the shipment will arrive but it is coming soon!
Thanks for asking!

patty790 | New Friend | 04.28.2010 8:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I recently purchased the Athena 2009 from HSN and wasnt sure if the Sylist would be an upgrade. I think I will stay with the Athena for now! I already have a serger. I really needed the swift smart threading!
Thank you so much and have a great day!

SewThankful | Visitor | 04.28.2010 11:50 AM

Great Question! The Athena is Electronic and the Stylist is a computerized machine with a working memory. Athena has 30 stitch patterns, Stylist ll--has 225 built in patterns w/alphabet. The Athena has extension table and instructional DVD. The Stylist ll has mirror imaging, repeat pattern, needle down. BOTH models have swift smart threading, drop and sew bobbin and 15 specialty presser feet. You can view the specs on HSN.com to compare notes. Let us know which one you choose!

patty790 | New Friend | 04.27.2010 10:14 PM

Does anyone know the difference between the Athena 2009 and the Stylist II?

pottermom | New Friend | 04.27.2010 4:22 PM

I just purchased the 2 for one Stylist II and serger. I was very impressed by the futura but I can't find anywhere that says if the machine and software is compatible with a Mac computer. Please let me know. This may be my next purchase once I master the Stylist II and serger.
Thanks

SEWINGHAPPILY | New Friend | 04.27.2010 11:17 AM

These machines are great I have the First Edition of the stylist. It it is a wonderful set. I'm going to order it not today though.I'm going to wait till september,if I CAN WAIT THAT LONG,(LOL).I love all the upgrades. GREAT BUY.

KeyFob_1 | New Friend | 04.27.2010 2:43 AM

Wow, what a great deal with today shows. I already have the CE-150,SES-1000, and Singer 7470 along with a brother serger. For what I don't need the special 2 for one. But for any other person I really can say dont let this great deal go today! I have 5 Singer machines and they are the best! And you don't know how important and versatile is a serger until you have one.

luvprocaps | New Friend | 04.26.2010 8:01 PM

Hi Darlene,
I love, love, love when you are on HSN. I own several different machines that I purchased from HSN. My question is when will HSN have the extension table for the Singer QL 500?

turtle71 | New Friend | 04.22.2010 5:04 PM

Thanks ! I just might order next time they do a big promotion
still reading reviews.

SewThankful | Visitor | 04.20.2010 12:58 PM

Hi Gay,
I'm so glad you have been enjoying your Melrose thread. HSN has decided to discontinue the Melrose Embroidery Value Packs but you will be able to order them from the national chain fabric store's website. If you do a search on your web, you'll see places where you can purchase it. Thank for asking!

SewThankful | Visitor | 04.20.2010 12:52 PM

Hi Turtle71,
The Quantum L-500 is a fantastic machine and I just tried the circular attachment. Yes, it fits! Purchasing optional parts exclusively for the L-500 may prove a bit challenging however, my bet is that there are other brands whose parts would fit. You may want to check with Pfaff.

SewThankful | Visitor | 04.20.2010 12:29 PM

luce66, I just saw your photostitch comment and can understand your concern.Having not seen the picture you are trying to stitch, The following criteria helps when accomplishing a photosticth. 1) make sure the backround is simple--plain solid in a contrast to the subjest works much better than landscapes and busy bushes.2) decide which technique you want to use before you go through the wizard windows. (4-color, multi-color or cepiatone)3) choose smaller settings for more details.

grandmama4 | New Friend | 04.20.2010 3:00 AM

I have purhased a lot of the Melrose Thread,but most of it is gone. Does anyone know where to purchase more kits or individual spools? I really like this thread.
Thanks,
Gay

turtle71 | New Friend | 04.18.2010 11:31 AM

want to purchase quantum l 500 but does it sew circles ? Are there optonal parts to purchase?

Add your reply here...

April Sewing

by Partner DarleneCahill on ‎04-02-2010 03:20 PM (133 Views)

Hello Sewing Enthusiasts,

Now that spring is finally in the air you may be starting to reassess your springtime attire. Making piles will help you streamline your efforts so you'll have more time to spend on the creative fun stuff. Piles may be "KEEP" – (gently worn can go another season), "TOSS" – (out the door forever more---thrift store box), "RE-VAMP"– (dated piece but still good may need a little updating) and "HARVEST" – (remove usable parts for future use. 'Parts' may be buttons, collars, appliques, embroideries, or even zippers). Zippers are showing up in many of this spring's accessory reports. You can refashion them into bows, flowers or decorative swirls and reapply them on an otherwise boring pair of shoes, a necklace, handbag or hairpiece. These sandles were brand new when Rocksy decided to give her teeth a workout on the jeweled pins that once adorned the thong. The zipper flowers are soft and flexible but artsy and rockin' while sporting the metal teeth.
I saw this embroidered Magnet idea while attending the Sewing and Quilting Expo. These palm sized novelty gifts can be tucked into a greeting card and will add warmth, whimsy and personality to a refrigerator, file cabinet or even your computer tower!

To make your own DECORATIVE EMBROIDERED MAGNETS you will need:

SUPPLIES

• Your choice of favorite embroidered designs
• Large magnet sheet
• Industrial strength fabric and craft glue, such as E-6000
• Small, sharp, precise utility scissors
DIRECTIONS:
1. Carefully cut around embroidered designs being careful not to cut any threads
2. With embroidery design facing up, Trace the embroidery design outline on the front (white) side of the magnet Sheet
3. Cut the magnet sheet along the traced outline
4. Glue the embroidered design to the front of the cut-out magnet
5. Press design firmly- place a heavy book on top and allow to completely dry

What’s New?

Embroidery Enthusiasts will love this! HSN.com has added seven new embroidery design CDs to their sewing assortment. Beautiful execution in nine popular file formats, following is the view of the back of the CD so you can see all the designs contained within. Order one today

QUESTIONS ANSWERED
How do I use the Gathering foot?
The gathering foot is one of the feet that has to be screwed onto the presser foot shank. Once you have the gathering foot attached and both the bobbin and upper thread are threaded, (Be sure to pull the top thread through the foot's opening) The gathering foot can gather a single layer or add a gather to a flat piece.
1. To gather a single layer, position the lightweight fabric under the foot and lower the foot. For best results, use a straight stitch with a long stitch length. Using your locking stitch or back tacking at the beginning of the seam will keep the gathers from coming out near the edge. For increased fullness, increase the upper thread tension.
2. To make a gather that is attached to a flat piece place the fabric to be gathered on the bottom and slip the flat piece in the center slot. Make sure that both fabrics are facing right sides together. Slowly stitch and gently hold back the upper flat fabric while the bottom layer gathers and feeds through. TIP: Move your needle position to the extreme left!

How do I use the Ruffler Attachment?
Your Ruffler attachment is a foot that has to be attached to the presser foot shank. Make sure that the lobster claw is positioned on the needle screw so the foot will work properly.
The ruffler has three settings and can space a 'tuck or pleat' every 12 stitches, every 6 stitches or every stitch. Experiment first to ensure perfect results on your next project!

My needle threader isn't working on the Brother Computerized Machine.  What should I do?
Brother's computerized machines have a built in safety feature that protects the needle threader from crashing into a needle that is not in the right position. Make sure that the hand wheel is turned until the raised band on the hand wheel lines up directly with the notched seam on the machine at the center top of the wheel.

WHEN TO WATCH
April 27 Today’s Special A Brand New Singer Machine 12 am, 1 am, 8a m, 11 am, 12pm, 4 pm, 7 pm, 10 pm ET
See you next month!

Comments
by turtle71 on ‎04-18-2010 11:31 AM

want to purchase quantum l 500 but does it sew circles ? Are there optonal parts to purchase?

by grandmama4 on ‎04-20-2010 03:00 AM

I have purhased a lot of the Melrose Thread,but most of it is gone. Does anyone know where to purchase more kits or individual spools? I really like this thread.
Thanks,
Gay

by SewThankful on ‎04-20-2010 12:29 PM

luce66, I just saw your photostitch comment and can understand your concern.Having not seen the picture you are trying to stitch, The following criteria helps when accomplishing a photosticth. 1) make sure the backround is simple--plain solid in a contrast to the subjest works much better than landscapes and busy bushes.2) decide which technique you want to use before you go through the wizard windows. (4-color, multi-color or cepiatone)3) choose smaller settings for more details.

by SewThankful on ‎04-20-2010 12:52 PM

Hi Turtle71,
The Quantum L-500 is a fantastic machine and I just tried the circular attachment. Yes, it fits! Purchasing optional parts exclusively for the L-500 may prove a bit challenging however, my bet is that there are other brands whose parts would fit. You may want to check with Pfaff.

by SewThankful on ‎04-20-2010 12:58 PM

Hi Gay,
I'm so glad you have been enjoying your Melrose thread. HSN has decided to discontinue the Melrose Embroidery Value Packs but you will be able to order them from the national chain fabric store's website. If you do a search on your web, you'll see places where you can purchase it. Thank for asking!

by turtle71 on ‎04-22-2010 05:04 PM

Thanks ! I just might order next time they do a big promotion
still reading reviews.

by luvprocaps on ‎04-26-2010 08:01 PM

Hi Darlene,
I love, love, love when you are on HSN. I own several different machines that I purchased from HSN. My question is when will HSN have the extension table for the Singer QL 500?

by KeyFob_1 on ‎04-27-2010 02:43 AM

Wow, what a great deal with today shows. I already have the CE-150,SES-1000, and Singer 7470 along with a brother serger. For what I don't need the special 2 for one. But for any other person I really can say dont let this great deal go today! I have 5 Singer machines and they are the best! And you don't know how important and versatile is a serger until you have one.

by SEWINGHAPPILY on ‎04-27-2010 11:17 AM

These machines are great I have the First Edition of the stylist. It it is a wonderful set. I'm going to order it not today though.I'm going to wait till september,if I CAN WAIT THAT LONG,(LOL).I love all the upgrades. GREAT BUY.

by pottermom on ‎04-27-2010 04:22 PM

I just purchased the 2 for one Stylist II and serger. I was very impressed by the futura but I can't find anywhere that says if the machine and software is compatible with a Mac computer. Please let me know. This may be my next purchase once I master the Stylist II and serger.
Thanks

by patty790 on ‎04-27-2010 10:14 PM

Does anyone know the difference between the Athena 2009 and the Stylist II?

by SewThankful on ‎04-28-2010 11:50 AM

Great Question! The Athena is Electronic and the Stylist is a computerized machine with a working memory. Athena has 30 stitch patterns, Stylist ll--has 225 built in patterns w/alphabet. The Athena has extension table and instructional DVD. The Stylist ll has mirror imaging, repeat pattern, needle down. BOTH models have swift smart threading, drop and sew bobbin and 15 specialty presser feet. You can view the specs on HSN.com to compare notes. Let us know which one you choose!

by patty790 on ‎04-28-2010 08:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I recently purchased the Athena 2009 from HSN and wasnt sure if the Sylist would be an upgrade. I think I will stay with the Athena for now! I already have a serger. I really needed the swift smart threading!
Thank you so much and have a great day!

by SewThankful on ‎04-29-2010 10:59 AM

Hi Luvprocaps, I just spoke with the VP from Singer and he told me that there were tables for the Quantum l-500 on the Way!!! Keep checking back on hsn.com in May. We're not sure exactly when the shipment will arrive but it is coming soon!
Thanks for asking!

by SewThankful on ‎04-29-2010 11:03 AM

Oh Shucks Pottermom,
The software for the Futura is NOT compatible with Mac.
Hopefully you will consider purchasing a small HP laptop that you can devote entirely to embroidery. It is still well worth it when you consider the versatility that the Futura software offers compared to other embroidery machines at that pricepoint! Your question is appreciated!

by kyucker_1 on ‎04-30-2010 10:21 AM

patty790 the athena 2009 has 30 built in stitches and the the stylist11 is actually like the curvy 8780 which has 227 different built in stitches. The athena is by itself where as the stylist11 comes with a 3-4 thread serger. The serger has improvements in comparison to the first stylist serger. You can go to Singer.com web site and compare the 2 sewing machines. Hope that this helps.

by kel5vin on ‎05-02-2010 03:12 AM

Darlene;
I am a quilter and in search of a long arm quilting machine. Do you think that any of your suppliers would offer a long arm machine complete with table for a reasonable price? Something that could be offered on flex pay? I have several different machines, but I dont have a long arm quilter which is perfect for working on large quilts. Flex pay makes it affordable. I have seen some nice machines for under $2500 which includes the table and the stitch regulator.
Help!!

"?

by JAAM on ‎05-02-2010 08:15 PM

Darlene,
I hope a new brother sewing machine is in the works. I am waiting to purchase a sewing and embrodery machine from Brother preferably. I hope hsn has one in the works!

by fiskmo on ‎05-22-2010 04:38 PM

This message is for the person who is having problems using the NEEDLE THREADER ON A BROTHER sewing machine. I've had a Brother machine for about 3 years, and for half of that time I had problems using the threader. I finally noticed that when I pushed the thread cassette down with less force, the needle would be threaded. When I pushed it down quickly and with more force, it never would thread. I hope this will help you.

by groomer97 on ‎08-03-2012 12:20 PM

I can not get the gathering foot to work I'm doing exactly what the instructions say it just won't gather It's a singer. And does anyone know where I can get the fringe foot or flower foot. I have 6 sewing machines 2 that embroider I don't need another sewing machine just to get the feet.

by deee27 on ‎09-05-2012 04:33 PM

I have a singer machine model SCHOLASTIC . I need to know where I can get the manual, for some reason I lost ,mine and please H E L P.

by BettyBoop800 on ‎05-25-2013 09:47 PM

Ms. Cahill, I have purchased three Singer machines from HSN: the heavy duty, the Athena, and the Plus One. I would like to know if there is a separate DVD that I can purchase showing the ways to use all of the presser feet that came with my machines. I did notice one came with the Plus One which aired recently. Unfortunately, I purchased my Plus One earlier this year and the DVD was not included. I would appreciate any help you can provide. I started sewing in my teens (I'm 73) on my mother's Singer treadle machine. I recently started sewing again after watching your demonstrations on HSN and I'm hooked again. I made aprons for my 7 granddaughters, curtains, place mats (from your sewing book), and am still sewing strong!! Thank you for your enthusiasm for sewing. It brought back my enjoyment again.

Conversation Stats
22 Replies
04.02.2010 3:20 PM
0 Smiles
16 in Conversation

How can we help? Call or email us anytime... really!

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...