DarleneCahill | Partner | 10.12.2011 5:20 PM

A stain, a run, a rip, a tear... don't ditch it if it's something you love to wear! Everyone  is fascinated by applique! Applique is not just decoration, in addition to  making  a design, pattern or  picture it can be a stabilizing patch, add strength to a threadworn area or weight to a lighter item. Borrowed from the French, applique by definition is a "smaller thing that has been applied".  Applique's common technique is to add  small pieces to the top of fabric. What originally began as a sensible way  to patch and conceal rips has grown into an art form.  Today, applique can be seen on quilts from around  the world in addition to customizing garments and accessories.
You can cut out small pieces by hand or with a personal digital cutting machine. You can use your machine's built-in stitch patterns or free motion your own designs to secure the pieces in place. Applique can cover stains, lavishly decorate or simply express  your point of view. There are many techniques of applique for many skill levels. Whatever your rendition, it can be interesting, colorful and uniquely yours! Let's start with the basics of fusible applique.
Basic Supplies
Heat N'Bond , Stitch Wichery (sold in sheets or by the yard)
Fabric  to make appliques; can be cotton, denim, satin, felt, lace, organza---practically anything  can be cut and applied!

Basic Instructions
Heat activate fusible applique
1) Trace the reverse of your design on the paper side of the fusible. If it's not a cut out, use a lightbox or hold up to the window :smileyhappy:.
2) Using your iron, press the fusible to the fabric and then cut out along the lines.
3) Peel off the paper and place the applique with adhesive side down onto the foundation piece.
4) Using your iron, gently press in place--don't move the iron back and forth. You could scrunch your applique pieces. Now you're ready to stitch them into place.
5) This is when I usually press a heat activated interfacing to the back of the project . You can also use freezer paper, iron-on tear-away stabilizer.... your choice. You'll get better results if you stabilize.
6) Now topstitch each applique. You may use a decorative stitch, satin stitch or even free-motion  to add a decorative element while keeping  the applique in place. Satin stitch was used on the blue strips to break up the paisley background. A 2mm pin-stitch was used on the outside yellow petals. The red flower was added on with the star stitch to give a feathery quality to the edges. The centerpiece is accented by two rows of crescent stitches. Then a raveled strip wound and stitched down in the center for stamens. Now go give it a try!

Serger or Sewing Machine?
Imagine trying to cook dinner without a stock pot.... or hanging a picture on the wall without a hammer....or working in the garden without a spade. You can struggle through and figure out a way in each of those circumstances but having the right tool certainly makes the going easier and the results more professional!  Just as a well equipped kitchen  has cookware, silicone bakeware and  utensils, a  well equipped sewing area  has a sewing machine, serger  and steam/dry  iron. This blouse front is an obvious example of how you'll use all these tools in a single piece of apparel. The silk crepe rolled hem ruffle was done with the three thread serger setting using wooly nylon in the upper looper, then off to the sewing machine to gather the strip using the gathering foot. The heirloom trim stitched onto the batiste with an edge joining foot and hemstitching option , the auto-sized buttonholes with a one-step buttonholer, the tucks with a 1/4" foot.... then back to the construction of each worked piece using the serger--this time 4-thread overlocking for the inside seams. It's also important to press after  each process to build the next step on a firm, even  and stable foundation. Integrate the use of all your tools and your results will speak for themselves!

Embroidery Review
When you first open your Futura Program, there's a window that has dozens of  friendly user tips. In an effort to 'hurry up and start embroidering' it's tempting to close that screen without going through the list but every now and then  it's a good idea to review these bits of info. You may see something that  you didn't notice before.
Here's a quick review of 12 tips in random order:
1) Save all designs before sewing
2) You can get detailed HELP by clicking the function and typing F1 on the keyboard
3) Make different folders to organize your embroidery designs
4) It's not necessary to close a design before opening another
5) Use the "Stitch Processor" to change the size of a stock design
6) A Minimum of 1mmm between stitches makes for a smooth stitching design
7) If you increase the size of a design, check for a max of 8mm in stitch width to prevent  unraveling
8) You can choose "Select Design to Move" to quickly move an entire design
9) You can delete a block(s) or design in 2 steps: 1)click it 2) hit delete
10) Using a neutral screen color is easy on the eyes
11) You can change the size of a design by millimeters, inches or percentage
12)When a stitch is long, the fabric will pull more.....to be continued......

When to Watch
For more tips and tricks for sewing check out our show schedule:
October  27th Singer Today's Special
12 am, 1 am, 8 am, 12 pm, 3 pm, 7 pm, & 11 pm
See you on-air!
Darlene

Darlene Logo Pic Combo 300x119 Darlenes Thread: How to Sashiko and Rolled HemmingMore Sewing with Darlene Cahill:
» Top 10 Sewing Tips to Always Remember
» Choosing the Right Scissors to Make the Cut
» More sewing projects and ideas

More Sewing and Crafts from HSN.com:

» Shop sewing new arrivals
» Stay steady and organized with a great sewing table
» Shop all crafts and sewing supplies

Add your reply here...
COMMENTS
kyucker_1 | New Friend | 11.12.2011 4:26 PM

Hi Sewthankful, I just went on line to Singerco.com and saw the 3 new sewing machines. They are the industrial machines that come with the complete stand. they are the 191D-20,20U-109,191D-30. The 191D's are just straight stitch and the 20U-109 has both zigzag and straight stitches. They boast of 4,500 and 2,500 stitches per minute. With 11.75inches of space for handling the larger products. I was thrilled to see these. Will HSN be getting these in to sell? If so, when?

doodle52 | New Friend | 11.04.2011 10:15 AM

I would like to do a couple of embroidery photo stitch in sepia tone for Christmas gifts for our adult children. Can you PLEASE tell me what colors of embroidery threads I'll need for sepia tone and also some of the other photo stitches PLEASE so I can get started. So sorry about your broken toe. I had three at once and I try as I may, I will never be able to wear high heels again. Oh well. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

threadtrails | New Friend | 11.04.2011 5:14 AM

I have decided to return my Superb 2010.The needle threader does NOT work and the tension is out of whack.Sigh, I had such high hopes of creating personalized goodies for Christmas gifts this year. I have two other Singers and they are greatIt's a lemon! But I won't be making any lemonade with it LOL

threadtrails | New Friend | 10.29.2011 11:48 PM

I purchased the 2010 Superb machine last week.It is wonderful! I am having fun "playing" with all the differnt stitch patterns.Elongating,mirrow image,elongation.Like you said,I feel the skies the limit on this machine.I was hoping that you might have some advice for us sewers who don't have a big time embroidery machine.Such as cutting jump stitches,how to tell where to start and end a decorative stich so that it comes out with a whole stitch.And by the way your hair looks great! Love Ya

HeavenlyDays | New Friend | 10.28.2011 5:54 PM

Hi Darlene,
I just bought a Singer Futura Quartet 4 in 1 off HSN. However, it doesn't have a stitch I like. The stitch is on the Singer Heavy Duty 4423, letter 'F' in the user manual, page 31. On the Heavy Duty dial, it is one stitch to the right at the bottom.
Is there a way we can download stitches that were not included on to the Futura Quartet?

craftylady35 | New Friend | 10.27.2011 8:56 PM

Hi Darlene, I got it, the Stylist serger. Saw the special at midnight and can't believe it was still available when I got home from work at 5 PM. You spoke highly of it and now I got it at an even better buy than earlier when I first saw it. I've had the 14SH654 for 6 years but wanted a 4/3/2 serger so I now have 2 Singer sergers, 1 Futura, and 5 other Singers in my studio. Love your shows, your demos, and all the great info. Thanks and will be watching tonight for more.

boomoom | New Friend | 10.27.2011 4:44 PM

I wanted to purchase 323-538 singer stock designs cd I can plug my cd player right into my eb sewing via usb but it say that the format is dst. and thats not for mat vp3 I heared you say singer reconized all formats, but I guess not in the reverse way. love when you are on thank you

SewThankful | Visitor | 10.24.2011 1:56 PM

Hi tastenina, Thank you so much for your enthusiastic e-mail, for watching our airings on HSN and for purchasing your machines with us! You all made good choices:smileyhappy: Fashion fabrics are usually found in quilt shoppes and mom and pop fabric stores. For an exact location of the print you saw, I replied on FB where it's more appropriate to mention other retail outlets.See you on the 27th! Keep Sewing Your Dreams!

SewThankful | Visitor | 10.24.2011 1:52 PM

Cindy, you are in luck! We will be presenting a versionof the Quartet called the SEQS-6000---very similar to the XL400 but with a huge software package FREE! Hang on tight. We'll be on at 12am, 1am, 8am, 12pm, 3pm, 7pm & 11pm. Tune in early.... they may not last the day:smileyhappy:

SewThankful | Visitor | 10.24.2011 1:49 PM

Hi Cassie,
You are absolutely right! Sears is the only other retail outlet with that model machine but I believe that HSN has a larger accessory package, making them the only retailer with that machine with that accessory configuration. You make a good point and I can see how it would be confusing...I'll certainly bring your call-out to the table as I'm sure that HSN would never want to misrepresent an item in any way. Thank you so much for your input!

SewThankful | Visitor | 10.24.2011 1:42 PM

HI Doodle52, Yes, the HD110 is a good reliable mechanical machine. So glad you were able to scoop one up! You're smart to watch the other embroidery presentations. All the Singer Futura machines are related and can use the same options of AUTOPUNCH, HYPERFONT, AUTO-CROSS STITCH and PHOTOSTITCH. The SE 250 is a great choice! Enjoy and thank you for writing!

tastenina | New Friend | 10.20.2011 4:42 PM

Hello Ms. Darlene,
First of all, we love you dearly(I am speaking for the three of us- Ms. Ellena, the fashion designer & seamstress extraordinaire, Mouy, and myself Janine two hopefuls). Ms. Ellena records all the sewing programs on HSN and has purchased several sewing and embroidery machines and recommends we buy Singer thru HSN. And we did! Mouy purchased the Confidence and I, Stylist 2. You inspire us. Anyways, we want to know where you do purchase the fashion fabrics? Teacups & shoes?

boomoom | New Friend | 10.18.2011 4:38 PM

Darlene will you be answering the messages you rec'd on the august 29th blog?

cynsew | New Friend | 10.17.2011 6:31 PM

Darlene,
Will you be having a special on the Singer Futura XL400 on October 27th? I am interested in this machine. Thank You, Cindy

Casssie | New Friend | 10.14.2011 11:57 PM

Hi Darlene,
Just wondering, I saw the last show for National Sewing Month when you demonstrated the Singer Superb...During the show it was said many times that the Superb was only available at HSN but today when I went into Sears they had one sitting out on display...I'm a little confused by that....

doodle52 | New Friend | 10.12.2011 8:43 PM

Darlene, received my singer hd110 today, had to reorder the last one. It was worth the wait. Love it, love it, love it..It sews so good and the extension table is great. I'm so glad I got this while I could. I also really like my se250. It has helped me to watch you with the other embroidery machines. Thanks

Add your reply here...

Applique Crafting Basics with Darlene Cahill

by Partner DarleneCahill on ‎10-12-2011 05:20 PM (275 Views)

A stain, a run, a rip, a tear... don't ditch it if it's something you love to wear! Everyone  is fascinated by applique! Applique is not just decoration, in addition to  making  a design, pattern or  picture it can be a stabilizing patch, add strength to a threadworn area or weight to a lighter item. Borrowed from the French, applique by definition is a "smaller thing that has been applied".  Applique's common technique is to add  small pieces to the top of fabric. What originally began as a sensible way  to patch and conceal rips has grown into an art form.  Today, applique can be seen on quilts from around  the world in addition to customizing garments and accessories.
You can cut out small pieces by hand or with a personal digital cutting machine. You can use your machine's built-in stitch patterns or free motion your own designs to secure the pieces in place. Applique can cover stains, lavishly decorate or simply express  your point of view. There are many techniques of applique for many skill levels. Whatever your rendition, it can be interesting, colorful and uniquely yours! Let's start with the basics of fusible applique.
Basic Supplies
Heat N'Bond , Stitch Wichery (sold in sheets or by the yard)
Fabric  to make appliques; can be cotton, denim, satin, felt, lace, organza---practically anything  can be cut and applied!

Basic Instructions
Heat activate fusible applique
1) Trace the reverse of your design on the paper side of the fusible. If it's not a cut out, use a lightbox or hold up to the window :smileyhappy:.
2) Using your iron, press the fusible to the fabric and then cut out along the lines.
3) Peel off the paper and place the applique with adhesive side down onto the foundation piece.
4) Using your iron, gently press in place--don't move the iron back and forth. You could scrunch your applique pieces. Now you're ready to stitch them into place.
5) This is when I usually press a heat activated interfacing to the back of the project . You can also use freezer paper, iron-on tear-away stabilizer.... your choice. You'll get better results if you stabilize.
6) Now topstitch each applique. You may use a decorative stitch, satin stitch or even free-motion  to add a decorative element while keeping  the applique in place. Satin stitch was used on the blue strips to break up the paisley background. A 2mm pin-stitch was used on the outside yellow petals. The red flower was added on with the star stitch to give a feathery quality to the edges. The centerpiece is accented by two rows of crescent stitches. Then a raveled strip wound and stitched down in the center for stamens. Now go give it a try!

Serger or Sewing Machine?
Imagine trying to cook dinner without a stock pot.... or hanging a picture on the wall without a hammer....or working in the garden without a spade. You can struggle through and figure out a way in each of those circumstances but having the right tool certainly makes the going easier and the results more professional!  Just as a well equipped kitchen  has cookware, silicone bakeware and  utensils, a  well equipped sewing area  has a sewing machine, serger  and steam/dry  iron. This blouse front is an obvious example of how you'll use all these tools in a single piece of apparel. The silk crepe rolled hem ruffle was done with the three thread serger setting using wooly nylon in the upper looper, then off to the sewing machine to gather the strip using the gathering foot. The heirloom trim stitched onto the batiste with an edge joining foot and hemstitching option , the auto-sized buttonholes with a one-step buttonholer, the tucks with a 1/4" foot.... then back to the construction of each worked piece using the serger--this time 4-thread overlocking for the inside seams. It's also important to press after  each process to build the next step on a firm, even  and stable foundation. Integrate the use of all your tools and your results will speak for themselves!

Embroidery Review
When you first open your Futura Program, there's a window that has dozens of  friendly user tips. In an effort to 'hurry up and start embroidering' it's tempting to close that screen without going through the list but every now and then  it's a good idea to review these bits of info. You may see something that  you didn't notice before.
Here's a quick review of 12 tips in random order:
1) Save all designs before sewing
2) You can get detailed HELP by clicking the function and typing F1 on the keyboard
3) Make different folders to organize your embroidery designs
4) It's not necessary to close a design before opening another
5) Use the "Stitch Processor" to change the size of a stock design
6) A Minimum of 1mmm between stitches makes for a smooth stitching design
7) If you increase the size of a design, check for a max of 8mm in stitch width to prevent  unraveling
8) You can choose "Select Design to Move" to quickly move an entire design
9) You can delete a block(s) or design in 2 steps: 1)click it 2) hit delete
10) Using a neutral screen color is easy on the eyes
11) You can change the size of a design by millimeters, inches or percentage
12)When a stitch is long, the fabric will pull more.....to be continued......

When to Watch
For more tips and tricks for sewing check out our show schedule:
October  27th Singer Today's Special
12 am, 1 am, 8 am, 12 pm, 3 pm, 7 pm, & 11 pm
See you on-air!
Darlene

Darlene Logo Pic Combo 300x119 Darlenes Thread: How to Sashiko and Rolled HemmingMore Sewing with Darlene Cahill:
» Top 10 Sewing Tips to Always Remember
» Choosing the Right Scissors to Make the Cut
» More sewing projects and ideas

More Sewing and Crafts from HSN.com:

» Shop sewing new arrivals
» Stay steady and organized with a great sewing table
» Shop all crafts and sewing supplies

Comments
by doodle52 on ‎10-12-2011 08:43 PM

Darlene, received my singer hd110 today, had to reorder the last one. It was worth the wait. Love it, love it, love it..It sews so good and the extension table is great. I'm so glad I got this while I could. I also really like my se250. It has helped me to watch you with the other embroidery machines. Thanks

by Casssie on ‎10-14-2011 11:57 PM

Hi Darlene,
Just wondering, I saw the last show for National Sewing Month when you demonstrated the Singer Superb...During the show it was said many times that the Superb was only available at HSN but today when I went into Sears they had one sitting out on display...I'm a little confused by that....

by cynsew on ‎10-17-2011 06:31 PM

Darlene,
Will you be having a special on the Singer Futura XL400 on October 27th? I am interested in this machine. Thank You, Cindy

by boomoom on ‎10-18-2011 04:38 PM

Darlene will you be answering the messages you rec'd on the august 29th blog?

by tastenina on ‎10-20-2011 04:42 PM

Hello Ms. Darlene,
First of all, we love you dearly(I am speaking for the three of us- Ms. Ellena, the fashion designer & seamstress extraordinaire, Mouy, and myself Janine two hopefuls). Ms. Ellena records all the sewing programs on HSN and has purchased several sewing and embroidery machines and recommends we buy Singer thru HSN. And we did! Mouy purchased the Confidence and I, Stylist 2. You inspire us. Anyways, we want to know where you do purchase the fashion fabrics? Teacups & shoes?

by SewThankful on ‎10-24-2011 01:42 PM

HI Doodle52, Yes, the HD110 is a good reliable mechanical machine. So glad you were able to scoop one up! You're smart to watch the other embroidery presentations. All the Singer Futura machines are related and can use the same options of AUTOPUNCH, HYPERFONT, AUTO-CROSS STITCH and PHOTOSTITCH. The SE 250 is a great choice! Enjoy and thank you for writing!

by SewThankful on ‎10-24-2011 01:49 PM

Hi Cassie,
You are absolutely right! Sears is the only other retail outlet with that model machine but I believe that HSN has a larger accessory package, making them the only retailer with that machine with that accessory configuration. You make a good point and I can see how it would be confusing...I'll certainly bring your call-out to the table as I'm sure that HSN would never want to misrepresent an item in any way. Thank you so much for your input!

by SewThankful on ‎10-24-2011 01:52 PM

Cindy, you are in luck! We will be presenting a versionof the Quartet called the SEQS-6000---very similar to the XL400 but with a huge software package FREE! Hang on tight. We'll be on at 12am, 1am, 8am, 12pm, 3pm, 7pm & 11pm. Tune in early.... they may not last the day:smileyhappy:

by SewThankful on ‎10-24-2011 01:56 PM

Hi tastenina, Thank you so much for your enthusiastic e-mail, for watching our airings on HSN and for purchasing your machines with us! You all made good choices:smileyhappy: Fashion fabrics are usually found in quilt shoppes and mom and pop fabric stores. For an exact location of the print you saw, I replied on FB where it's more appropriate to mention other retail outlets.See you on the 27th! Keep Sewing Your Dreams!

by boomoom on ‎10-27-2011 04:44 PM

I wanted to purchase 323-538 singer stock designs cd I can plug my cd player right into my eb sewing via usb but it say that the format is dst. and thats not for mat vp3 I heared you say singer reconized all formats, but I guess not in the reverse way. love when you are on thank you

by craftylady35 on ‎10-27-2011 08:56 PM

Hi Darlene, I got it, the Stylist serger. Saw the special at midnight and can't believe it was still available when I got home from work at 5 PM. You spoke highly of it and now I got it at an even better buy than earlier when I first saw it. I've had the 14SH654 for 6 years but wanted a 4/3/2 serger so I now have 2 Singer sergers, 1 Futura, and 5 other Singers in my studio. Love your shows, your demos, and all the great info. Thanks and will be watching tonight for more.

by HeavenlyDays on ‎10-28-2011 05:54 PM

Hi Darlene,
I just bought a Singer Futura Quartet 4 in 1 off HSN. However, it doesn't have a stitch I like. The stitch is on the Singer Heavy Duty 4423, letter 'F' in the user manual, page 31. On the Heavy Duty dial, it is one stitch to the right at the bottom.
Is there a way we can download stitches that were not included on to the Futura Quartet?

by threadtrails on ‎10-29-2011 11:48 PM

I purchased the 2010 Superb machine last week.It is wonderful! I am having fun "playing" with all the differnt stitch patterns.Elongating,mirrow image,elongation.Like you said,I feel the skies the limit on this machine.I was hoping that you might have some advice for us sewers who don't have a big time embroidery machine.Such as cutting jump stitches,how to tell where to start and end a decorative stich so that it comes out with a whole stitch.And by the way your hair looks great! Love Ya

by threadtrails on ‎11-04-2011 05:14 AM

I have decided to return my Superb 2010.The needle threader does NOT work and the tension is out of whack.Sigh, I had such high hopes of creating personalized goodies for Christmas gifts this year. I have two other Singers and they are greatIt's a lemon! But I won't be making any lemonade with it LOL

by doodle52 on ‎11-04-2011 10:15 AM

I would like to do a couple of embroidery photo stitch in sepia tone for Christmas gifts for our adult children. Can you PLEASE tell me what colors of embroidery threads I'll need for sepia tone and also some of the other photo stitches PLEASE so I can get started. So sorry about your broken toe. I had three at once and I try as I may, I will never be able to wear high heels again. Oh well. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

by kyucker_1 on ‎11-12-2011 04:26 PM

Hi Sewthankful, I just went on line to Singerco.com and saw the 3 new sewing machines. They are the industrial machines that come with the complete stand. they are the 191D-20,20U-109,191D-30. The 191D's are just straight stitch and the 20U-109 has both zigzag and straight stitches. They boast of 4,500 and 2,500 stitches per minute. With 11.75inches of space for handling the larger products. I was thrilled to see these. Will HSN be getting these in to sell? If so, when?

Conversation Stats
16 Replies
10.12.2011 5:20 PM
0 Smiles
11 in Conversation

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...