Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.20.2011 1:33 AM
I would be more inclined to buy her jewelry if she used sterling silver, gold or real gemstones or even cultured pearls in her jewelry. The price on her jewelry has increased and rivals that of brands that use gemstones etc. In this economy, I struggle with paying $200-plus for mystery metal and crystals. I don't see the return on my investment should I choose to sell my HD pieces.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
20WIGLOVER | Inspirer 3 | 01.23.2011 12:48 AM
I would be more inclined to buy her jewelry if she used sterling silver, gold or real gemstones or even cultured pearls in her jewelry. The price on her jewelry has increased and rivals that of brands that use gemstones etc. In this economy, I struggle with paying $200-plus for mystery metal and crystals. I don't see the return on my investment should I choose to sell my HD pieces.

The reason I buy and love Heidi Daus designs are three:

1.)The beautiful Art Deco Designs
2.)The unusual use of color
3.)The life-time guarantee (there is a very quick turn around on any repair)

I have a collection of fine jewelry that I don't wear as much; I do not buy for investment I buy for fun.
Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 7:46 PM
=d>
SouthernGirl2 | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 7:37 PM
( this is an exciting time- a new show coming up and sooo many new goodies posting...the Heidi fan thread is the place to be right now for all of us who adore our Queen...let's go there and have fun - and leave these grouchies to stay here and vent to themselves!!!LOL

Good idea. Let's leave the ad-hominem troll under her little bridge where she belongs; personal insults in lieu of actual reasoning are the surest sign that one has run out of debate-ammunition. =8>

Or maybe we should all start posting in big red print, in order to make what we say seem more important! Whatev.... back to the Heidi fan-thread, where the fun is. This ain't no fun.
Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 3:32 PM
=d>
SLMangle | Advisor 1 | 01.21.2011 3:20 PM
Yes SheRah, I know you are right, but I've never been accused of being mature and I will admit I have a very difficult time letting these things slide! lol
SheRah | Admirer 3 | 01.21.2011 3:14 PM
It is times like this where I believe a person will complain - just to complain. People like the person who started this thread- thrive on chaos and getting people spun up...for no particular reason except to amuse themselves and feel important. (and perhaps a lack of something better to do with their time?)

Just maybe...if we stopped responding to threads and comments like this- they will stop posting them...people of this nature, I have found- will argue just for the sake of arguing….they really don’t care about our opinion – and no matter what we say they are not going to change their mind, so why bother? All it does is make the comments get more rude and the person who started the thread gets exactly what they wanted…attention.

As they say - a child will behave badly just to get attention...so simply ignoring rude or bad behavior is sometimes the best solution.

just a thought....;-);

( this is an exciting time- a new show coming up and sooo many new goodies posting...the Heidi fan thread is the place to be right now for all of us who adore our Queen...let's go there and have fun - and leave these grouchies to stay here and vent to themselves!!!LOL:d/ =d>)
SLMangle | Advisor 1 | 01.21.2011 3:12 PM
I take it personally! The attacks against Heidi sure seem to be personal. Heidi is not the only vendor on Hsn who doesn't use silver or gold, but she is the one who gets bashed for it repeatedly. If you do not see the value in her jewelry, do not buy it!...it's really that simple.
Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 2:43 PM
=d>
SouthernGirl2 | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 1:26 PM
"Taking things personally" has nothing to do with reminding you that YOU are the one in charge of spending your own money, and if you deem it not to be worth spending on ANY vendor's particular product, that is your right. I sure dont spend mine on vendors I dislike: getting perceived top value for your discretionary dollar is something we all do.

However we get it: you do not think Heidi is a good value for what you want to spend. Its just that not everyone agrees, and a realization of that fact is just part of being adult. Only recently we had someone else go off about Heidi out here, but even worse - just telling you the same thing I told her.

If everyone liked the exact same thing, this world would be boring. Viva la difference & have a nice day. =;
Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 12:55 PM
=d>
SouthernGirl2 | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 8:38 AM
Re Teardrops' comments, there are many HSN designers whose jewelry I do not care for. MANY. A LOT. I refrain from posting hostile comments about them though, as in "How can you people who like 's jewelry waste your money buying that crap!?"

I view that as the nice thing to do. But when people post comments intended to provoke, as did the original poster, it is silly to expect people not to respond.

TEARDROPS | Admirer 3 | 01.21.2011 8:30 AM
I agree RENA 347 AND MINOULOVESBLUE on your comments. The promblem as I see it, There are those who seem to take issues with those you critcizing this line. They are commenting on the jewelry not the person. We all do not like the same things for one reason or another, and expressing those opinions should be taken with grace not hostile comments that I have read in the past.When someone makes a statement take it as it is. I do prefer Jay King and Barry Cord and no one comments good or bad will change that, that being said I applaud any one whose speak the opposite. Do I like Hedi's jewelry, yes, Would I buy it, no.
SouthernGirl2 | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 8:03 AM
Look at Barbara Bixby, Judith Ripka, Michael Dawkins and Echo of the Dreamer jewelry.

I can say with a certainty that although Bixby and Ripka are great designers, their stuff is even more ferociously overpriced than many HSN designers. Bixby in particular is just... wow, overpriced. She's that channels' version of Carol Brodie, in that respect. =8>

Heidi works in warm-colored metals. This means sterling is out for her, even if it is $30 per ounce. As far as her casting these pieces in gold, that is an unrealstic expectation, especially given the state of the economy. How much would one of her bangles cost, even in 10K gold? PLease.... not a realistic expectation. I'm glad you can afford that, but HSN is attemtping to appeal to a broader range of consumer.

If one is seeking truly high-end "couture" stuff, shopping networks are probably not the place to look. I know if I had that kind of cash, although I would still be here for the fun stuff , I'd be takin' my serious cash to Cartier and be hunting down my Holy Jewelry Grail of all time, a Cartier Leopard/Panther ring or bracelet.

In this economy, I can't justify paying several hundred dollars for costume jewelry made with brass and crystals.

That is a valid deduction for you, and no one can say that it is wrong - that is personal to YOU.

And FYI, Waterford crystal is not the same as the stones used in Heidi Daus jewelry. That is a silly silly comparison

I said nothing about Waterford, but crystal is crystal. I would bet they're not all that different. And for that matter, I doubt that Waterford is all that different from crystal you can get at your local department store. Waterford is about paying for a NAME. But so is Swarovski, for that matter.
rena347 | Inspirer 3 | 01.21.2011 3:57 AM
I can understand both sides of the discussion. I do consider Heidi's pieces comparable to works of art. Some of us find value in the art, some of us find value in the material (gold, silver, etc.) and some of us find value in both.

For myself, even though I find many of her pieces to be very beautiful, I have never purchased any due to my own allergies to mystery metals. I do appreciate the beauty of her jewelry on another but I can't wear it myself. I think there is value to all opinions. We should all purchase whichever jewelry items give us pleasure.
Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 3:19 AM
Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.21.2011 3:18 AM
Georgiaga | Admirer 3 | 01.21.2011 12:27 AM
...because she makes high fashion costume couture.:-"
Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.20.2011 6:24 PM
And by the way, I have the entire for the birds ensemble, some pins and large crystal necklaces. They are beautiful. But my original comment stands.
Minoulovesblue | Admirer 2 | 01.20.2011 6:20 PM
]=;
debsashoppin | Admirer 2 | 01.20.2011 3:10 PM

heidi's jewelry is wearable art. each & every one of her pieces is meticulously crafted with hand-set swarovski crystals (& those art not cheap). think waterford: do you think their stuff is similar to, say etched glass? her jewelry is time-consuming to create. that's why it's a little priceier. btw, it does have a high resale value; just search her older/pre-owned pieces on ebay. do yourself a favor & get one piece that strikes your fancy. you have 30 days to decide for yourself if it's worth the $. you won't be sorry! =h2>
SouthernGirl2 | Admirer 2 | 01.20.2011 1:06 PM

...How much DO you want this stuff to cost? You want to pay for a cuff with what, 6 oz. of sterling silver?! You go, girl. Heidi's metal weights are not skimpy. If those were precious metals, only movie stars could afford them.

Here's a tip: do not buy collectable anything with using it as an investment in mind. Buy what you love and will wear, because "seeing the return on my investment" is A RARE THING when selling stuff like this. Its not going to happen 99% of the time. There are people tryingto scalp Heidi items all over eBay. Almost all of them are failing miserably at it.

p.s. Heidi uses quite a few real gems in her pieces. UNless you're talking about 3 carat diamonds and rubies, etc. which if she was using those, she wouldn't be selling on HSN. That's out of HSN's price range for a necklace with those kind of stones that covers your entire upper chest.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Admirer 2
munizera

RE: Why doesn't Heidi Daus use sterling, gold or real gemstones in her jewelry?

Because.... we all like reading about it!!! (obviously or there would not be a blog)
Exchange and debate of ideas increases one's ability to learn and express oneself!
=!s> =!s> =!s>
Do you like Granny apples or Red delicious? hmmmmm...... :-k
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
Georgiaga

The David Yurman analogy makes no sense at all. If you want to use that comparison it would be the same as "wanting" (no one is demanding) him to use HIGHER quality metals and gems, not lower. I'm sure he does that for certain clients. And I would not be surprised at all if he would sell the lower end of his line on a shopping channel. The pieces are made in many different countries and the quality is not there. I'm predicting a deal in works with one of the networks.

FYI-
Heidi's metal is a brass based casting with some overlay and hand polished...every piece, hand polished for the antiqued gold look.
Now, David Yurman ONLY uses gold and silver and real gemstones and diamonds, so that was my point...he would NEVER do costume...and no you will NEVER see Yurman on a shopping channel. He is a high-end jewelry designer and that was my point. Yes, southerngirl2- I agree...Cartier won't be bringing a line to the costume world, so why should a costume designer bring their line to the precious gems and metals world...?
They have their own niches carved out and they stick to what they do ...would you ask a computer genius to become a farmer? LOL...ok, just having fun here...really, it doesn't matter.
All that matters is that we all have our own personal tastes and there are enough designers going around to satisfy ALL of our tastes no matter how different or the same they may be, so isn't it nice that there is a way to shop where there are so many great options? So I think basically we need to come full circle and agree that difference and diversity is what makes the world go round and yes we learn from these talks and we all come out smarter in the end having seen both points of view, so thanks to HSN for a wide variety of great jewelry...G;-);
Heidi crystallized my world! Enjoy the sparkles!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
Tillie123

Excellent points, Munizera and GG - if you don't like it, don't buy it. I do agree that we can ask questions and discuss issues, but we should do it in a respectful manner. To each her own, and she shouldn't be made to feel bad about what she likes!! [-x
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
BARLAN

Ladies, never say never when it comes to high end jewelers bringing their designs to shopping channels in more affordable ways. I have attended many a jewelry show where designers like Tacori, Hidalgo, Gregg Ruth, and Verragio were selling fine jewelry at very high prices. They dealt in gold, platinum, diamonds, etc. Now I see them on TV selling their designs in sterling and cubic zirconia. The price of gold has really had an impact on every manufacturer and they have changed with the times to survive.
Please use plain text.
Admirer
Brittany7

I think Heidi's stuff is pretty cool looking myself just the way it is but as far as the price tag=;
Please use plain text.
Admirer
Brittany7

I just gotta ask given this topic i came across regarding something i read awhile back but is it true that Heidi has a couture line in Paris and other high end boutiques where she uses precious metals and stones in her jewelry
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
Tillie123

I just gotta ask given this topic i came across regarding something i read awhile back but is it true that Heidi has a couture line in Paris and other high end boutiques where she uses precious metals and stones in her jewelry

I remember Colleen talking about seeing a piece of hers in Paris, and she bought it. This was before she came to HSN. Colleen said the prices in Paris were many times what we pay here on HSN. Thanks goodness for that!! :d/ [-o< =d>
Please use plain text.
Admirer 1
glace

Heidi Daus doesn't use silver and gold because she makes beautiful COSTUME jewelry. The keyword is costume. Although sometimes she does use real gemstones such as carnelian or quartz. Her jewelry is the most fun to receive and wear. I think there is a big secondary market for her jewelry. Just look at the auction site.

Personally, I like the bronzetone metal she uses because it NEVER tarnishes, and I like the antique-look of the jewelry. It goes perfectly with the Deco style. Sometimes you don't want in-your-face, rhodium plated jewelry. If most of you are like me, you already have hundreds of silver and gold jewelry, and it's fun to mix it up with stylish costume jewelry.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 1
glace

Btw, I think Heidi's bronzetone metal is her signature look and signature metal. Her packaging (the box sleeve) is the same color.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
munizera

Heidi Daus doesn't use silver and gold because she makes beautiful COSTUME jewelry. The keyword is costume. Although sometimes she does use real gemstones such as carnelian or quartz. Her jewelry is the most fun to receive and wear. I think there is a big secondary market for her jewelry. Just look at the auction site.

Personally, I like the bronzetone metal she uses because it NEVER tarnishes, and I like the antique-look of the jewelry. It goes perfectly with the Deco style. Sometimes you don't want in-your-face, rhodium plated jewelry. If most of you are like me, you already have hundreds of silver and gold jewelry, and it's fun to mix it up with stylish costume jewelry.

Great point Glace! The antique metal enhancing the crystals really make the pieces more vibrant and warm, something that all women want to complement their skin. I really enjoy wearing the pieces MORE because I'm not as concerned that it won't hold up to regular wear because it is so substantial. I have a lot of "real" jewelry that I would wear cautiously because it is more fragile and I find I wear it a lot less. The value to price becomes clear when you find you actually "use" your things! =8>
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
95 Replies
01.20.2011 1:33 AM
0 Smiles
30 in Conversation

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...