New Friend
sassybrunette

Very Disappionted in Jay King's Jewelry

I've been buying Jay King's jewelry for years. I do have some real nice pieces, especially pendants and rings from about 5-6 years ago. But lately, his quality has gone downhill. I ordered #375-348 last year. I finally was able to wear it for the first time. Before I even left the house, the clasp broke! Beads flew all over my bathroom. This necklace is too heavy for the thin wire holding it together. It was not worth the $80 I paid for it, and now, I can't even get a refund. The reviews note this too, so it happened to many others.

Then, I wore a pair of flourite earrings for the first time I also bought last year. Sometimes, at first, it's hard to find outfits to match certain pieces. I finally found some nice matches and started to wear my newer Jay King pieces. I put on the purple flourite earrings for the first time this week. When I got to work, one of the stones had fallen out. I looked all over for it, but it was gone for good. I went from my home to the office and the earrings broke in that short time. I'm so upset. It's one thing if you've worn something and it wore out or got loose... but both of these items were never even worn before and they broke.

The craftsmanship has become cheap. I never had this happen in the past. Years ago, the necklaces were put together with stronger wire and clasps.

After these incidents, I'm hesitant to purchase any Mine Finds' pieces again. Jay charges too much for such cheaply made items. It's really a shame.

Please use plain text.
Admirer 1 Dra Admirer 1
Admirer 1
Dra

RE: Very Disappionted in Jay King's Jewelry

I know Jay would be upset by this. Go to his website Desert Rose Direct with the usual before and afters and it will give you some contact information for him. His customer service is great.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
wahoogaz

I agree - contact him at desertrosedirect and give them a chance to make things right. I've been lucky and have never had to have any of his pieces repaired, but I've heard wonderful things about their customer service.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
Tillie123

I have to add my comments here. I, too, have bought a LOT (and I mean A LOT!!) of JK jewelry over the years, but I am finding the same thing as Sassy - I am buying things, but have been waiting to find outfits to go with them. Then when I wear them, they break. I have had three necklaces do this this past year alone. I cannot return them, since it is way past the 30 days, but I just feel that his jewelry is not that well made anymore. I have no idea if it is because his stuff is made in China, or what. But, for what he charges, I expect a better-quality piece of jewelry. On another note - was he supposed to be on this month? He's usually on over long holiday weekends, and new items did show up on his website. But he did not appear over the 4th of July weekend. Has anyone heard anything?
Please use plain text.
Admirer 1 Dra Admirer 1
Admirer 1
Dra

I am pretty sure the last time he was on around Memorial Day he said he would not be back until October.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
Tillie123

I was looking at the upcoming schedule, and Wed, 22 July, is an all-day silver event, and JK has three shows planned. So, he will be here a little earlier than previously thought. I wonder if any additional items or deals will pop up on his page?
Please use plain text.
New Friend
Barbie25

No, Jay's jewelry should not break but it is inevitable that some will. The materials to repair a broken necklace(wire, crimping beads, crimper) can be purchased very inexpensively at a craft store if you are interested in fixing your broken pieces so that you can wear them again. I choose to do this since I don't mind repairing them (only one has broken)and, after making some necklaces myself, I understand things like this can happen. Unfortunately, sometimes the crimp beads just aren't crimped tight enough over the wire so they eventually let go. Jay does use the best materials. Still love Jay's designs and the huge variety of styles and stones he offers which far outweigh any breakage concerns for me. Plus, use Gorilla glue to glue stones back in place. I don't like stones falling out but if you are over the 30 day return period then I wouldn't hesitate to reglue them back in place. Desert Rose customer service is extremely helpful as well.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
Tillie123

Barbie, thanks for the information, but my point is, if they were constructed properly in the first place, so many of them wouldn't be breaking for people.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
berean

I bought a ring in my size, but it turned out to be way too small. I thought, no problem, I'll just take it to a jeweler and have it sized. Well, as you all know, 30 days goes by very quickly, and before I knew it, my time was up for returning it, and I couldn't find a jeweler who could do the job without charging me a fortune. So, I have a pretty ring that I cannot wear.
I have read many posts lately about the diminishing quality of the jewelry being offered by several vendors.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
Tillie123

JK's rings are notoriously under-sized. I wear a normal size 7 and am a true size 7, but if I order one of Jay's rings, it's too small - about a size 6. It has happened every time, so I have stopped buying them. I have written this on my reviews for the rings I have bought, but it falls on deaf ears, so, I do not buy any more of them. It's unfortunate, because they are pretty. Heidi Daus's rings run true-to-size, so I have been buying them.
Please use plain text.

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.