62falcon | New Friend | 02.27.2011 9:31 AM
Hello everyone. I recently acquired a large amount of HSN jewelry. I'm trying to identify all the different hallmarks. The one I'm having trouble with is on quite a few pieces I have. The pieces are marked 925 and the letter "R" with a curvy tail. What does the letter "R" stand for? Thank you for your help.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
luckydog47 | Admirer 2 | 03.05.2011 2:07 PM
I would be willing to bet the mark means .925 (sterling silver) and the R MAYBE stand for Rhodium...Is your piece rhodium plated over the silver. It is very common now to protect the silver from tarnishing...The mark tells a jeweler instantly that he cannot size the piece or change it, UNLESS he also can re=add the rhodium after he works on it..Some can, most don't..Hope this helps.
62falcon | New Friend | 02.27.2011 1:40 PM
Thank you for your quick reply. I did not find that mark listed there, but there sure are plenty of others. I'm still looking elsewhere.
cityyear | Admirer 3 | 02.27.2011 11:38 AM
Hi Falcon! I have been looking for you and found the website ModernSilver.com and there you will find the section for mystery marks. There is also an email address for the editor. I googled what does the sterling silver marking 925R mean and found the website among a long list. Click on that that says modernsilver/mystmarks. I started scrolling down the page and goodness! There are hundreds of different markings. I hope this helps. I'll keep looking!

Keep looking up!
Skystew
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
New Friend
62falcon

Need help with a hallmark

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a large amount of HSN jewelry. I'm trying to identify all the different hallmarks. The one I'm having trouble with is on quite a few pieces I have. The pieces are marked 925 and the letter "R" with a curvy tail. What does the letter "R" stand for? Thank you for your help.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
cityyear

RE: Need help with a hallmark

Hi Falcon! I have been looking for you and found the website ModernSilver.com and there you will find the section for mystery marks. There is also an email address for the editor. I googled what does the sterling silver marking 925R mean and found the website among a long list. Click on that that says modernsilver/mystmarks. I started scrolling down the page and goodness! There are hundreds of different markings. I hope this helps. I'll keep looking!

Keep looking up!
Skystew
Please use plain text.
New Friend
62falcon

Thank you for your quick reply. I did not find that mark listed there, but there sure are plenty of others. I'm still looking elsewhere.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
luckydog47

I would be willing to bet the mark means .925 (sterling silver) and the R MAYBE stand for Rhodium...Is your piece rhodium plated over the silver. It is very common now to protect the silver from tarnishing...The mark tells a jeweler instantly that he cannot size the piece or change it, UNLESS he also can re=add the rhodium after he works on it..Some can, most don't..Hope this helps.
If you are a "if at first you don't suceed, try, try again" person; don't go skydiving!!
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
3 Replies
02.27.2011 9:31 AM
0 Smiles
3 in Conversation

How can we help? Call or email us anytime... really!

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...