Advisor 2
Cindy819

RE: Big, Gaudy Jewelry

I'm sorry Ladies, but I love most of Victoria's things. I have several pieces of hers. NOT all of what she does is to MY taste...some of the stone combinations make me scratch my head and wonder what she was thinking...but there are several things that she does that are more understated and classic.

I don't like Colleen's line...too over the top. Heidi's things are too blingy for me...

But as things are getting more "Lady Like" and the shows on the main shopping channels are showing more of the "back in the day" pieces from stars and icons, have you noticed how large and over the top those are too?

Even the Jackie Kennedy things on QVC, some of them are WOW!!!

But, everything goes in cycles...I'm just waiting for this cycle to be over...

To everyone's own opinion and taste....
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
justwanthelp

I think it depends on the person wearing it. Some women are able to wear the gaudy jewelry and it looks really nice on them. Others, not so much!

I own some gaudy pieces myself, pieces that I really love, but would never wear them. I bought them to look at and get a lot of joy just looking at them. My grandmother owned a ton of gaudy jewelry, and I used to love looking at it in her jewelry box when I was a kid. It's just fun to look at and reminds me of my grandmother.

My favorite piece is a bracelet by Addriene "Real Collectables". It's an old piece, so it is beautiful vermei, not the cheap goldtone stuff. But it is gaudy, 5 rows of CZ's, yet absolutely knock your socks off beautiful! It looks like something a millionaire would wear to some fancy party or something. I might wear it if I get invited to the White House for a formal dinner. Until then, it stays in my jewelry box.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
ingallsra

I wear statement necklaces to work every day (I work in higher education public relations), including lots of Heidi Daus, Victoria Weick, my main man Jay King, Studio Barse and many others. HSN has really upped my game in fashion jewelry, and it has become my signature look to wear these pieces with a simple shell and a suit and high heels. People give me compliments on my jewelry all the time (I just wore a green Heidi Daus piece today -- one of the first I ever bought from HSN, about five years ago -- and had people come up to me all day to look at and admire it!). To me these pieces are an extension of myself -- I am in front of the public all day, have to be ready to go on TV at a moment's notice if we have news, and speak in front of varied audiences. Big, beautiful, eye-catching jewelry helps me to feel bold and confident, and I love the feeling! I'm in my mid-30s and totally wear the very same pieces on weekends with a T-shirt and jeans to the grocery store and the coffee shop -- the baristas say they look forward every Saturday to see what pieces I'm wearing. And once an older lady came up to me at the cafe and said she thought it was wonderful when people wore beautiful jewelry to go out and drink coffee, and thanked me for brightening up her day. I thanked her for brightening mine!

Well said.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
missym13

I'm curious what you ladies think of Iris Apfel line? In particular ,the photo of her in her own jewelry on the page featuring her line. To me that photo in particular is the definition of gaudy. But I am fond of all types and sizes of jewelry as long as it's the right time and place. But i definetly don't think that photo of her in her designs is a very flattering look.Way too much,way too large.
I will agree some woman wear it well,just not my taste in general. I like seeing others wear it though,since i cant.
Find your light....and SHINE in it !
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
Rowana

Re: Iris Apfel -- her big and admittedly gaudy jewelry, and her bright, bright colors, are what she is famous for. I hope when I get to be her age I'm still living out loud, rocking some big ol' jewelry and bright colors! She reminds me of a British lady, well into her 70s or possibly even older, whom we met in a youth hostel in Switzerland when I was 20. My 20-something friends and I were debating how to keep our day's hike on the less strenuous side, when this lady bounded up and joined us, dressed in bright colors, a neon green scarf and huge jewelry. She said she was going to hike that day up a tough local peak to "see the chamois.". She brought huge energy with her, and though it was not "lady-like," it was definitely woman power. I remember what I said after she left: "I want to be her when I grow up!"
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
missym13

Thanks for the opinion. I on the other hand, When I look at that photo,and the amount of pieces she is wearing in one sitting.... "distracting" is the word that comes to mind. "Overwhelming" as well. I would rather wear a few choice pieces on different days rather than piling on my whole jewelry box . And understand this statement is about the jewelry NOT the woman. I'm sure she is a real beautiful woman inside and out.

Find your light....and SHINE in it !
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
tooolate

I wear statement necklaces to work every day (I work in higher education public relations), including lots of Heidi Daus, Victoria Weick, my main man Jay King, Studio Barse and many others. HSN has really upped my game in fashion jewelry, and it has become my signature look to wear these pieces with a simple shell and a suit and high heels. People give me compliments on my jewelry all the time (I just wore a green Heidi Daus piece today -- one of the first I ever bought from HSN, about five years ago -- and had people come up to me all day to look at and admire it!). To me these pieces are an extension of myself -- I am in front of the public all day, have to be ready to go on TV at a moment's notice if we have news, and speak in front of varied audiences. Big, beautiful, eye-catching jewelry helps me to feel bold and confident, and I love the feeling! I'm in my mid-30s and totally wear the very same pieces on weekends with a T-shirt and jeans to the grocery store and the coffee shop -- the baristas say they look forward every Saturday to see what pieces I'm wearing. And once an older lady came up to me at the cafe and said she thought it was wonderful when people wore beautiful jewelry to go out and drink coffee, and thanked me for brightening up her day. I thanked her for brightening mine!

Well said.

and I ditto that! love what i buy, pay big $$ for it and really hate to hear it called 'gaudy' - can't we just agree - not to your taste?
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
KIMTHIB

Sorry, Ladies, but I say "Go BIG or GO HOME!" I'm a tall, slender gal that LOVES big and bold. My favorite HSN designer of the moment is Deb Guyot--she is amazing! Also love Heidi's things, but they don't really fit my lifestyle. I love statement necklaces, big earrings, showstopper rings--you name it! AND I get many, many compliments on my sense of style.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 1
belle385

i agree, Victoria Weick's rings are nice, but in my opinion i think that she should finish the undergallery of the ring, to make it smoothe like a comfort fit, like jean douset does, if i am paying over 100 dollars for a ring it should be finished on the inside as well!!!. i own her bridge style ring with the inivisble setting, nice ring, but not finished on the inside, bit uncomfortable to wear. but nice setting. over 100 dollars for a ring it should be finished on the inside. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
FritzieBlue

"As to your 2nd question - I believe the Chaco Canyon line is made here by Native Americans. Some, but only a few, pieces of Jay King's line is made here. Most other lines are made overseas I think."

Elfie, a very belated thank you to your reply! I'll keep an eye out for these shows. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.