Admirer 3
KERIGA

RE: TS Tracfone = problems with customer service

I had tracfone for a few years for myself and my elderly parents, but it was such a pain to enter all the activation codes, page after page of very long strings of numbers, and they'd constantly make sales calls to the house.

I finally switched to a contract carrier, and switched parents to T-mobile prepaid. It took me another couple of years to get Tracfone to stop calling my house.

I will say I had good cellular service, as their phones can jump onto other company's towers.
But I won't go back to them because of the sales calls and because T-mobile prepaid is so much easier to add minutes.

Those long strings in CODE ENTRY mode can be daunting, but that's only when switching to TracFone from another wireless carrier and porting your phone number. After that, it's relatively painless whether you're upgrading phones or adding minutes. As you pointed out, TracFone has outstanding coverage and reception. For me, that plus the savings and convenience of a non-contract mobile phone justified that OTO endless numerical string.

As for the telemarketing calls, you can terminate the irritation on Day One by telling TracFone that you don't wish to be bothered by sales calls or "friendly reminders" when your airtime is nearing its expiration date (redundant and superfluous because this information is in the phone under PREPAID.) You have the option of receiving text messages or e-mail notification. Just be firm with them. Don't eliminate all notices - opt for texts - because often they'll have sales or give you special airtime discounts and bonuses (especially around holidays and back-to-school.)

CARJAM, the difficulty that you had finding the volume control, that Sadie1591 and MaryBev solved for you, reminded me of something my mother encountered with a Motorola phone a few years ago. We'd call and she'd say that she never heard it ringing. She also said the the volume was so low that she could barely hear the person speaking. It was only then that I discovered her phone had the infamous - and now ubiquitous - rocker switch. Previously, volume on most phones was controlled by an internal setting rather than external buttons. Each time she held the phone, inadvertently she was depressing the lower half of the volume control on the side. She commented, "That's a silly place to put it."

As consumers, we have an obligation to notify manufacturers about the features that we find less than user-friendly and downright irritating. Case in point, the LG 840G's predecessor, the LG 800G, had the most annoying screen lock that engaged after only a minute or less. No matter how you configured the security setting, it locked and although you could continue a conversation, you had no access to the dialpad or any other feature, unless you unlocked it over and over again. Apparently LG took the complaints seriously and improved the next generation of its touchscreen, the LG 840G.

Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
4kitties

Forgive my 2 cents here..
I agree with Keriga..I have used Tracfone for years..Have kept my same phone # for years,also.I have only been required to enter a couple of sets of code numbers supplied by the rep.Everything was changed over in a matter of minutes.

I am technology s-t-u-pid..I state that to the rep,which usually gets a chuckle. I also ask them to speak slowly when they tell you the code numbers..I repeat them back as I punch them in..not to make mistakes..I have and them stop me..
I do not have the newer phone that you are discussing.Like I said I'm not the brightest bulb.;-);
Touch screens here are iffy outdoors due to the cold climate..at least to me.
My Tracfone has better coverage than my kid's contract plans..

My kids are just glad that "old" Mom has finally learned to text..LOL
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
KERIGA

Lots of great suggestions on this forum (extra thanks to you KERIGA):

Wondering if others are having as much trouble getting the email function to work on the LG840g (accessing through the email icon). I have an ATT and GMAIL account set up correctly (as far as I can tell...servers, port#, email address, passwords). Possibly there are some advanced settings that are off though I get zero support from tracfone customer service. Web browser and text messaging works. But when I send an email (through the email icon) it shows the message is sending, then waiting, then failure. Appreciate any other insight. Thanks

It seems as if you're doing everything right, TXDL, therefore it's puzzling as to why you're having those problems. If it happened only once, it could've been a glitch in the network or the servers were down. If it continues, that points to a malfunction in the phone itself.

I had a similar situation with my former LG 800G, but never with this new phone. I called TracFone's CS and told them that I was getting "Failure" and I wanted to test the messaging feature of the phone. I sent them an e-mail, which they received, but my phone still displayed "Failure." I asked them to respond, but TracFone Reps weren't allowed to send messages, even at the customer's request.

To complete the test, I would've called a friend, but most of them had abandoned their expensive data plans under contracts with conventional wireless providers years ago. Next best option: I called LG. They were incredibly accommodating. I send a test message to one of their technicians, who received it and replied, and I replied to that, indicating that the phone was working properly. Immediately, I called TracFone again about the on-screen "Failure" and they updated the firmware via CODE ENTRY. Those "Failure" notices, which had appeared immediately after activating it, disappeared and never returned.

Try this test: send the same message to yourself on the AT&T and G-mail accounts, as well as your phone. Check the inboxes on your computer to see if they transmitted properly. See if the phone received the message that you just sent. Also try messaging a friend and see what happens. If these test messages don't transmit, there's probably something wrong with the phone. If they transmit and the "Failure" still appears, it could be that a firmware update is needed or there's a SIM card problem. Request a replacement phone if necessary.

If minutes were deducted but the transmissions were not completed, inform TracFone and have them reinstate the minutes that you lost due to the problems with the phone.

Please use plain text.
Admirer
TXDL

Thanks a lot Keriga, I'll try all those things. I actually tried to get support from LG and AT&T and they kindly could not help. ATT couldn't support the issue because it was not a phone purchased through them, even though it is their ATT mail service. LG didn't help because what sounded like a similar reason, a little vague. Tracfone customer service simply will not, cannot help. Their only support has been if the phone is not texting (which does work) and if the browser won't connect (which it does also work). I will keep exploring your ideas. Thanks for your insights (they are more than I have received from Trac, LG, or ATT).

While I have you, have you experienced an issue when you connect wi-fi through a hot spot (not at home but like at the golden arches) the phone's wi-fi connects fine and it shows that it is connecting to their website automatically. Their web site starts to show up on the phone and then the phone says "Page too large, open mobile site". It doesn't matter if I try to quickly type another URL in to any other site and connect, that same message comes up. I clear out cookies and cache. Sounds like a setting, or memory issue (though it is a brand new phone).
Thanks again for your time.

TXDL (Daniel)
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
KERIGA

You sound as if you're tech savvy, TXDL,. You were absolutely correct to clear the cache and the cookies because that can help a bit, but with limitations, mainly because this isn't an expensive iPhone, Blackberry or other smartphone. Regarding the difficulties you're having accessing certain websites, I'm going to quote myself in an edited version of the response that I left on another thread in hopes of at least partially explaining the problem.

The LG 840G is neither a true smartphone, nor is it a true Android. Perhaps it can best be described as a hybrid; a semi-smartphone. TracFone gave LG a set of specifications to meet the requirements of its network and LG built a device to accommodate those guidelines with a proprietary OS. LG 840G is closer to Android than Apple's iOS or Blackberry, therefore, it's easier to understand and maneuver if you've used another Android phone or tablet.

LG 840G is web-enabled, it's capable of sending and receiving voice, data and text, but it's not a pure smartphone and it's not totally Android. That would account for the difficulties that you're having in accessing/displaying certain websites, whether when using an external hotspot or your home router. For those that you can access, forget about large data files; the phone can't handle them. You'll also find that certain websites - even designated, specially designed mobile websites - can't be displayed on this phone.

Please understand that I'm not criticizing the LG 840G, because it's a great little device for the money and definitely an improvement over the previous model. If users can accept it for what it is - limitations and all - and not expect it to perform like some $500 true smartphone, then they'll be happier with what it can do and less focused upon and frustrated by what it can't.

Please use plain text.
Admirer
TXDL

Thanks a lot KERIGA for your feedback and perspectives! I commend your level of knowledge. This forum has been of great value in helping to resolve my phone issues, while learning other insights along the way. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
KERIGA

TXDL, those of us who've dealt with TracFone over the years know that you have to be insistent and persistent to get their attention and achieve a satisfactory resolution to your problems. Don't take "NO" for an answer. As a consumer, you have a reasonable expectation of a fully functional product and responsiveness by Customer Service/Tech Support to answer your questions and meet your requirements.

I urge you to go to TracFone's website and complete the complaint form, detailing the problems you've had with the phone and the stone wall of ignor~ance/indifference that you've encountered with their lower-level associates. A member of their Executive Resolutions Department will respond to you by phone, usually the next day, but most certainly within 48 hours. Generally the members of that team are highly skill~ed in Customer Service and have superior communications abilities than their colleagues. Very often, they'll solve the problem(s) for you on the spot.

Should it become necessary to return/exchange the defective handset, TracFone will send a replacement, a pre-paid mailer and instructions for returning the original phone. They give you 3-4 weeks to send it back, which was especially helpful in the pre-Bluetooth days because it took that long to transfer data manually from the old phone to the new one. Make sure you adhere to that deadline, because WITHOUT NOTICE, they will deactivate that first phone EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T ACTIVATED THE REPLACEMENT YET, leaving you without service at inopportune moments.

If anyone else is having problems with the phone, I'd advise requesting a replacement immediately, especially if it was intended as a holiday gift. Supplies will dwindle throughout December and you don't want to be disappointed by being Waitlisted. LG couldn't produce enough of the older 800Gs to keep pace with the demand and often TracFone wasn't able to do an even exchange. Instead they were offering cheaper, non-touchscreen models by other manufacturers when they exhausted the LG supply.

Another very important thing: since you bought a brand new phone that failed to function as promised, DEMAND that TracFone send you a NEW - not reconditioned/refurbished - phone as a replacement. Right now, with HSN's Extended Return Policy effective, it might be easier to exchange that way rather than dealing with TracFone at all. At least you'll be assured of getting a new phone from HSN.

Please keep us posted regarding your progress in resolving those connectivity issues, TXDL.

Please use plain text.
New Friend
dawn0609

Hi Everyone,

I partially read thru the posts to see if anyone else is having the issue I am and didn't readily see it. So...I am not receiving the "contact name" on text messages, only the phone number. Everyone I've spoken to about this says there is no 'setting' for this, it should happen automatically. Then, they will ask if I have the area code entered for my contacts and, yes, I do. The name will show up in my text message folder after the fact, just not initially upon first receiving it. HELP! Making me a little crazy! lol. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Admirer
TXDL

Thanks KERIGA, I will take my phone's functional issues to the higher level customer service as you mention. I do like the LG840g and its value. I'll continue to post any updates on my email and wi-fi challenges. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
New Friend
dawn0609

Thanks a lot Keriga, I'll try all those things. I actually tried to get support from LG and AT&T and they kindly could not help. ATT couldn't support the issue because it was not a phone purchased through them, even though it is their ATT mail service. LG didn't help because what sounded like a similar reason, a little vague. Tracfone customer service simply will not, cannot help. Their only support has been if the phone is not texting (which does work) and if the browser won't connect (which it does also work). I will keep exploring your ideas. Thanks for your insights (they are more than I have received from Trac, LG, or ATT).

While I have you, have you experienced an issue when you connect wi-fi through a hot spot (not at home but like at the golden arches) the phone's wi-fi connects fine and it shows that it is connecting to their website automatically. Their web site starts to show up on the phone and then the phone says "Page too large, open mobile site". It doesn't matter if I try to quickly type another URL in to any other site and connect, that same message comes up. I clear out cookies and cache. Sounds like a setting, or memory issue (though it is a brand new phone).
Thanks again for your time.

TXDL (Daniel)

TXDL,

I'm having same issue. Were you able to resolve?
Please use plain text.

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.