New Friend
AzArtist

Samsung S390G dials 911 with keypad locked

I did not buy my Samsung S390G through HSN, but wanted to let potential buyers know that this phone, like all tracfones, will dial 911 if pressure is put on the keyboard, EVEN WITH THE KEYBOARD LOCKED. In several conversations with tracfone "support" staff, I have been told that this does not happen, which is simply untrue.

I have had this phone since early September, am not a heavy cell phone user, but it has happened to me at least four times, and the last time I was told by the Tucson Police Department to "set your phone so that it does not dial 999 accidentally". Unfortunately, tracfones consider this a "feature" and it cannot be disabled.

Equally unfortunately, apparently no one makes a hard case for this phone that would protect the keyboard from pressure when you are carrying it in a purse or pocket.

I was trying to get Tracfone to let me exchange this Samsung phone for one that I know I can get a hard case for (the LG800G), but they have told me that since the phone is not defective, it cannot be returned or exchanged. Technically, it is not defective - just useless, because I can't carry it with me turned on, even with the keyboard locked, without risking that if I hold my purse wrong it will dial 911.
So, buyer beware!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
LEATHER

RE: Samsung S390G dials 911 with keypad locked

I have had several tracfones and NEVER had this happen.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
AmazonDeb

I have the same S390G and that's NEVER happened to me.
Please use plain text.
New Friend
laughingboy426

Well last night at work FOR THE FIFTH TIME, my Samsung S390G, LOCKED, IN MY POCKET, dialed 911. It rings, I answer
and get "this is the 911 operator, what is the nature of the emergency?" I can't find a fix and I am scared to carry it.
The manual that came with it is a joke. I have read many postings that say the same thing. Nobody can find a fix. This is really
BS. I guess once again YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Please use plain text.
New Friend
mckeython

I have the same problem as AzArtist. My Samsung S390 telephone has "self " dialed the operator several times and I have been given a warning. It is ashame that HSN will not assist us. We purchased from Tracfone based on HSN recommendation but we are now left "hanging" with a defective telephone. Although I purchased a 2 year warranty from HSN Tracphone said that they will only replace with a refurbished telephone of the same model....Who wants another defective telephone?
At the very least Tracfone should give us another model that will not just dial the operator by itself.
What is most disturbing is that Tracfone pretends that they did not know anything about the problem and, further, that the dialing is not a defect. What a joke. Just Google and you will find lots of folks who are having the same problem. This is a blatant example of a very dishonest vendor who can and has gotten away with selling a defective product.
Tracfone knows of the problem but can get away with not doing anything to address it. Obviously we, the consumer, will have an uphill battle.
Again, I feel that HSN has the power and should join our fight for fair treatment.
Please use plain text.
New Friend
DebbyMuller

For the past month, my S390G has been turning on by itself and even unlocking itself. At first I thought it was a fluke or caused by being in a separate compartment in my bag, but I took it out and left it sitting on my desk at work and it did the same thing.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
luvalatte

I called tracfone and was told they could set my phone back to factory settings. Uhh..,and I would loose over 900 minutes and over 100 service days? Are you kidding. NO!! I then asked to speak to a superior that said,They will send me out a new phone(same model) that will not call emergency numbers. We'll see what happens.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
DIAMONDD

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to put my two cents in re: this phone.My husbands phone hs been doing this for several months now. It has self dialed 911, and yes it was locked!! The company said that there was nothing they could do about it!! At first I thought he was going NUTS, until I observed it for myself. Thouroughly disgusted with this phone!!! He's very close to throwing it in the trash, It is totally embarassing when 911 calls you back. You explain what happened and , I know they must think your totally wacko!!!! Do not think I will be purchasing phones from HSN again, main reason is they do not stand by the products that they sell!!!
Please use plain text.
Admirer
caba223

It's just inconvenient if your phone accidentally called 911
embarrassing to the owner when it happens to him, because the producers need a bit more work on the security keypad.

The best were those old cell phones, lock the keyboard when you're sure you will not let you down
Please use plain text.
Admirer
momknows2

hahahaha crazy isnt it,, everybody is trying to turn it off and then when you REALY need it it wont work,, ironic isnt it..hhihihihihihi
Please use plain text.

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.