Admirer 2
guttersnipe

Nextbook2 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tablet: Which to buy?

I want to buy a tablet for my 14 year old daughter. I've done a reasonable amount of research on it and have come down to two devices: The Nextbook, put out by Border's and the Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I choose to ONLY buy either of these through HSN because of their incredible return policy and their Flex-Pay program, which is interest free.

Here's my dilemma:

1) I already ordered the Nextbook for her and it arrived two weeks ago. I set it up and it is FABULOUS!!! Faster response time than ANY of my laptops and it does exactly what I bought it to do. The $150.00 price is extremely reasonable and I think she'll really enjoy it.

HOWEVER, it does NOT support Flash so any and every website that needs Flash to watch videos and movies, is not available. Bummer, BIG bummer!

2) So, HSN is also selling the Samsung Galaxy Tablet, which is $550.00 more expensive than the Nextbook. If I went with a carrier plan through AT & T or Sprint, the price drops down to $400.00 but I don't want to feel pressured into an internet plan that is NOT needed! Where my daughter will be using her tablet is already set up for Wi-Fi: home, Uni, friends and Starbuck's. There's simply NO need for internet access beyond those points.

3) The Galaxy supports Flash so she can access our XFinity account through Comcast and watch her shows and movies; also for Netflix and Youtube. It also has a Notebook, which she may or may not use, but it's there. Same goes for a camera; she has a stellar digital camera so this may never be used.

So, here's my problem: I've watched up to 15 videos on the Galaxy Tab. The reviewers like it but complain about "old Android Systems" and how they are all waiting for some "Gingerbread" update to make the Galaxy a real contender.

They also say to "wait" for this first Galaxy version to get "all the bugs out" and buy the next version. My daughter is very smart and responsible so if I simply tell her, "Honey, there won't be ANY tablet this year because I want to wait for the more advanced Galaxy version in 2011", she'll completely understand. She already has a 17" Sony Vaio laptop to do her homework on; the tablet is a special gift for portability and ease of use when she's not chained to her study desk. LOL

I adore the Nextbook, the price is right, but if they can't upgrade with Flash for it, it's kinda a "dead issue" and I must return the device in another 2 weeks to receive full credit. The e-book option on either the Nextbook or Galaxy is NOT a deal breaker: all of us all ready have our own Sony E-Readers so we have that area covered; the Border's app on the Nextbook is a bonus as is the Kindle app on the Galaxy.

I normally don't want to be a company's Consumer Guinea Pig to test out new devices but I'm also not naive enought to believe that "one PERFECT product" will ever exist; as soon as something is launched, there's a company waiting to improve upon it.

So, I'd love anyone's opinions! There's still time to return the Nextbook and order this generation of Galaxy tab, or just gift my daughter the Nextbook, let her enjoy it for 2011 and give her another tablet a year from now, but that seems rather silly and wasteful.

ALL opinions are appreciated! The HSN forums are kind, helpful and a great place to gain feedback!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
guttersnipe

RE: Nextbook2 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tablet: Which to buy?

Well, this is a bummer.

Plenty of Lookers in this thread.

No thoughts.

Oh, well. I tried.](*,)
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
ShopperOnline

I have a similar problem, but, it's for myself and not holiday related.

I love my Nextbook, but, want more features, including flash. What we want is out there. People are ordering it direct from China. One tablet I saw running Android 2.2 was only $188.00.

What I am doing is keeping my Nextbook. I'm sure HSN, QVC and alot of other stores online and B & M will be offering these updated tablets this month or right after the new year begins. Some of the tablets on sale now like the Pocketbook ereader which runs Android 2.0 are promising updates to 2.2. As soon as those updates are actually released I would consider those models too. I would love it even more for HSN and/or QVC to carry them with payments.

At the very least, I'm expecting HSN to carry the Next3 which has a larger screen and a little more power than the Next2. If they will carry that, then they will carry the others too.
Please use plain text.
Admirer
Clichy

See all the threads about the NEXTBOOK2 to see what a bad product it is. i do not recommend it and have started a thread about how much of a dud it is. The Galaxy Tab is already outdated.

The good news is that in April 2011, ACER is coming out with a 10-inch tablet with Windows 7. I have an ACER ASPIRE 5810TZ-4238 laptop, bought from HSN, and it's terrific. Also in April, APPLE is bringing our the new, updated version of its iPad. The iPad is expected to have a few more features, more power, and a camera, as well as the ability to watch videos on websites on which the iPad doesn't support video viewing.

You might want to wait until April to buy a tablet.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
guttersnipe

See all the threads about the NEXTBOOK2 to see what a bad product it is. i do not recommend it and have started a thread about how much of a dud it is. The Galaxy Tab is already outdated.

The good news is that in April 2011, ACER is coming out with a 10-inch tablet with Windows 7. I have an ACER ASPIRE 5810TZ-4238 laptop, bought from HSN, and it's terrific. Also in April, APPLE is bringing our the new, updated version of its iPad. The iPad is expected to have a few more features, more power, and a camera, as well as the ability to watch videos on websites on which the iPad doesn't support video viewing.

This is ALL fantastic news, Clinchy! I've read your thread on your Nextbook and understand the problems that you've had with it but I must be honest: mine is working superbly! I did buy it before HSN offered the Samsung unit so I didn't have a choice offered to me.

I'm a Windows Gal and have never had a problem with any Windows product, so I think that you're correct. I'll explain to my daugher that I want to get her something that isn't already obsolete and wait until April.

Thanks for your input!
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
catlady528

I have to disagree. The Nextbook has done pretty much what I bought it for and, so far, no problems. Now, I'm not interested in downloading books to it or watching videos. I am hoping that they will update the software. And I will say that if Nextbook turns around and expects someone to buy their next generation device to get updated software they will have lost a customer. That is a really poor business model in my opinion.

As far as the original poster, I really can't advise. I guess it depends on how important watching videos on a 7" screen is to you and your daughter. I, personally, like watching TV on TV. And it seems a lot of people keep looking at stuff that is "on the horizon". However, if you keep waiting to get the best new thing then you will either never get anything or else you'll end up paying way too much for it. This is one of the few "brand new to the market" tech items I have ever bought because I usually like to wait for the bugs to get worked out.
Please use plain text.
Admirer
Clichy

To Catlady528: As noted everywhere in these Forums, the NEXTBOOK2 properly works for some, and it doesn't correctly work for many others. Also, it can be a slow progression of failures over time that makes the item annoying and questionable. Some items work great out-of-the-box. Others have features that falter. Others quickly fall apart. It all depends on the luck of the draw.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
harv650

Personally i would buy the Ipad its much cheaper at $499 depending on the type you get. The Samsung Tablet is just a streched out version of the samsung phone- has all the same features. Its like the IMAX Screen, same movie just 10 tens larger.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
guttersnipe

Well, I solved my problem: I bought BOTH the Nextbook2 and the Samsung Galaxy Tablet! I already had purchased the Nextbook and for speaking only of MY experience, it was a champ, right out of the box! Never had a lick of a problem that so many others have had. I gifting it to a friend who's eyesight is failing and loves to read, so the backlit screen and ease of going to email will be wonderful for him. If he uses the other features, that will be up to him.

The Galaxy Tablet is going to the daughter. As one poster mentioned, if I "wait" for that "One Perfect Device", I'll never find or buy it so the Galaxy it is! Because we already have Comcast's XFinity service, when she's in her room and wants to catch up on TV shows, she can stream them right to her tablet. (We only own one TV, intentionally.)

Thanks for EVERY SINGLE PERSON'S OPINION in this thread. You helped me make the decision that's right for me. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Admirer
KenP

Personally i would buy the Ipad its much cheaper at $499 depending on the type you get. The Samsung Tablet is just a streched out version of the samsung phone- has all the same features. Its like the IMAX Screen, same movie just 10 tens larger.

The original poster of this thread stated she wanted something that will run Flash video.

In case you didn't know, whether you buy the $500 iPad or the $900 iPad, they DO NOT run flash. Not because they can't, but because Steve J. (CEO of Apple) has banned it from being used on the iPad.

I also wish people would quit comparing a $160 eReader/tablet to a $500 or more full blown tablet. Would you compare a Ford Ranger truck to a turbocharged Dodge dually? I think not.

While I think the Galaxy Tab is a pretty nice tablet, Samsung, and MANY others will be releasing the iPad killers in April when Android 3.0 is released. That is what I would wait for, especially since many of them will be much cheaper than the Galaxy Tab.

As far as a software update for the Nextbook, the device does not have the ability to run the newer versions of Android due to memory limitations, so don't expect anything but 'fix' updates for it. It will never be able to run Flash movies.
Please use plain text.

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox.