PATSYH | Inside Admirer | 12.23.2010 12:04 AM
I've read everyone's posts but I'm still confused and frustrated.
Got my Nextbook3 and charged it overnight--no problem with getting the right city and receiving email. I would be so grateful if someone could help with the Kindle download. I tried the ebook forum apk download--message said it didn't support this platform. I tried putting in a SD card-no luck downloading anything. Tried downloading a zip file (whatever that is) on my computer but my computer wouldn't open it. I also tried the mini opera browser but "it wouldn't parse" after downloading. Aaarrghh. #-o
I really like this tablet but am so frustrated at this point.
Can someone walk me through it and assume I am not tech savvy in any way.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
ShopperOnline | Admirer 2 | 12.28.2010 9:10 PM
I agree. I'm on the phone with eFun now.
lynnp | Admirer | 12.28.2010 9:06 PM
Well, since I had today off I thought I would give Nextbook 3 one more try. I have been able to download Kindle app - but cannot open any of the many books I already have on Amazon. Ugh. I have probably spent about 4 hours installing, uninstalling, deleting, downloading, etc. And that is just today - I haven't figured how many hours I've tried to get what I thought would be simple things figured out. Also, still cannot get on facebook.

I cannot figure it out - can't be putting this much time into figuring something that should be so simple. :smileysad:
watchado33 | Admirer | 12.26.2010 8:16 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the touchscreen? After the unit is on about 15 minutes the touchscreen becomes unresponsive...I also cannot turn it off by holding down the power button. I have to use the pinhole in the back, very frustrating..I called HSN and they said they are sold out and cannot tell me when a new unit will ship which is bad because this was my sons "main" christmas present this year. I guess it will go back and we will wait for a replacment anyone else have problems with this?
ShopperOnline | Admirer 2 | 12.26.2010 7:58 PM
BUMP!

If anyone is trying to figure out how to transfer apps from their computer to their tablet and install them, these steps will work for any app or group of apps.
jcrawford | Admirer | 12.25.2010 8:30 AM
This had been driving me absolutely insane for 3 days. I tried the methods listed on this post, but I was still not able to get Kindle to work properly on my Nextbook3. I was able to install Kindle, but it wouldn't open any of the Kindle books I'd purchased. They all showed up on the home page, but when I try to open them, I got the error message that said, "Invalid book! The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and then download it again."

I tried installing and uninstalling kindle several times and finally decided to try different release versions of kindle for Android. After days of trying to figure it out... I finally downloaded Kindle version 1.0.1.79520052 and it now works great. Yippee! I just thought I'd share incase anyone else was experiencing similar issues.

I am having difficulty loading the Kindle app. Do you recall where you got the older version?

Thanks
jcrawford | Admirer | 12.25.2010 8:24 AM
And now the Kindle app is not working again. The preloaded books that come with the app work. But, the two books I bought keep telling me to delete and reload through the archive. I hoped to have it on a long drive today but no such luck. What could I possibly be doing wrong.

Sigh
jcrawford | Admirer | 12.25.2010 12:28 AM
So bummed. I have tried everything on this forum to get the Kindle app on my Nextbook 3. I have de-registered. Tried downloading the app on amazon. I have tried moving it from my phone to my computer but my move to sd card is grayed out. I have uninstalled everything, deregistered, deleted off sd card. Changed the date of my nextbook to the 26th to get rid of the snow. All the suggestions on here. It worked once but once I got out of the book I was reading and got back in...it told me to delete it and go back to the archive. So, I again...deleted everything, deregistered and reinstalled. I have worked on this off and on for two days. I might have to stick with the Borders app...blaa

sniff, sniff

Update...it is working for now. Fingers crossed.

dallies1108 | New Friend | 12.24.2010 10:33 PM
I received my nextbook3, i love it. The only problem I had was that the second time i tried it, it would not tutn back on. I call HSN and i was helped by tow wonderful ladies from the customer service department and they guided me step by step to solve the problem. If you look on the back of nextbook on the bottom corner left side at there is a small hole which is the reset button. I used a safety pin and held it until nextbook turned on. The problem is that i had it set to turn off for 30mins. To take timer off, go to settings, then sounds and display, then choose time out setting and I change to never shut down.
ShopperOnline | Admirer 2 | 12.24.2010 9:17 PM
You're welcome! Hey my job is slow right now. Getting paid to type and post all of this in up to three places sounds good right now! Where do I apply? LOL

Seriously, I just like helping people have fun with their new toy. I wish I could help those whose tablets won't power on. I've learned so much about tablets, phones, android, hardware and apps in the last month I'm happy to share.

Much to my DH's delight, I'll be offline most of the weekend. He won't have to compete with the computer to talk to me. Although, now I have a tablet!

Enjoy!!
coco06 | Admirer 1 | 12.24.2010 8:03 PM
ShopperOnline - you should work for efun to help those that bought the NextBook.
Thanks so much and have a great holiday!
ShopperOnline | Admirer 2 | 12.24.2010 7:47 PM
coco06, I think the old file will be ok after the 26th. But, I really don't know. With the old file, I was still having problems downloading books, from my archive, when I just tapped on them. When I did the long press, got the menu and used "Download to Home" option I didn't have that problem. Or, it could have been the live wallpaper I had on the home screen of the tablet. If I've been in the app a long time, I still have that problem. When I re-boot or sometimes de-register and re-register too, it goes away.

Another thing I found important. If you are uninstalling and re-installing the Kindle app. You must go into your file manager. The apps name is "Explorer", unless you've downloaded something else. Find the file named "kindle" on your SD card and delete it. To do that, do a long press on the folder name. Tap "delete", then follow the on-screen directions to delete the folder. Be careful about deleting anything else you don't want gone.

I have no clue about the orientation problem. If the other apps are switching over, it must be a Kindle problem. Try searching around Amazon to get to the Kindle CS forums, someone over there may have found a fix.

Removing a book off the device is a little tricky. Mainly because you have to get into the file manager. The folder for the Kindle is on the SD card and relatively easy to find. However, the names of the books are not the names of the files. When I've removed a book, instead of using the standard file manager on the Next3 called Explorer. I use the app called "ASTRO". It is also a file manager. I think I found it in the "Slide Me" market, I posted about before.

If your using ASTRO, tap the app. Then tap "Home" at the top of the screen. This will show you the first level of files on your SD card. The top bar should read. "/sdcard".

Scroll down until you see the file named "kindle". Tap that file.

Now tap the folder that says "covers". Go down the line of the files and do this until you find your book: Do a long press on the file. A context menu will come up. Tap on "Open As".

Tap on "Image".

Tap on "ASTRO Image Viewer".

Tap the back arrow at the top of the page to go back to the list of cover files.

Eventually you will see a picture of the cover of the book. When you find the cover you are looking for write down the file name.

Tap the icon that says "UP" at the top of the screen. This will take you back to your book files. Look for the book "name" you found in the cover files.

Do a long press on the file. A menu will come up. Tap "Edit". Then tap "Delete" and "yes" to confirm you want to delete the book. You may find more than one file with your books "name". Delete them all. If you make a mistake and tap the file instead of doing a long press, you can tap the "back" arrow at the top of the screen to get back to your folder.

Go back into the "covers" folder. Find the cover file use the same procedure to delete that file too.

When you are done exit ASTRO by doing a hard press on the up arrow button on the side of the Next3. That will bring you to the home screen of the Next3.

Shut the tablet down. Turn it back on again. Go back into the Kindle app. The book will not be there.

The nice thing about Kindle is if you want the book back again, you can sync your archive and get it back again.

I haven't found a way to delete books out of the history. A lot of what I use the eReader that came with the Next3 for are my own personal .pdf files. They don't have a cover. So when I'm ready to read them I tap on the oval to the right that says "My Library". That gets rid of the history on the screen, so I can see the names of each of my files as I tap on them. To actually read a file, I click the oval that says "Continue Read" under the file name. It will always say that whether I've read the book before or not. The same thing happens when you tap the "History" oval. Only it won't show you books you haven't opened yet.

You can remove books that came with the eReader side the same way as you did with the Kindle files. Only those files are in the internal memory. It's easier because the real book names are used for the books and their covers.

If you are using the "explorer" app you will see two lines when it opens. Tap the one that says "Internal Memory".

You will see a folder in the next list that says "25 Free Book - Prealoded on Next3", (spelling theirs). Tap that folder.

When you find the book you don't want, first write the name of the book exactly as it appears in the file down. Then do a long press on the file. A menu will come up.

Tap "Delete". Follow the on-screen instructions to confirm the deletion.

When you've finished all your deletions. Tap the "LevelUp" icon on the top of the screen.

Above the "25 Free Book..." folder you will see a folder named ".Cover". Tap on it.

Use the list of names you wrote down to delete the cover pictures for the books you just deleted. The procedure to remove them is the same as it was to remove the book files. Just be sure to do a long press not a tap. If you make a mistake and tap, you can tap the "back" arrow at the top of the screen to get back to your folder.

When you are done exit "explorer" by doing a hard press on the up arrow button on the side of the Next3. That will bring you to the home screen of the Next3.

Shut the tablet down. Turn it back on again. Tap the first icon in the center bottom of your home screen to go back to the eReader. Your books should be gone.

Hope this helps!
coco06 | Admirer 1 | 12.24.2010 6:46 PM
If I leave the kindle app on, the one I got from the e-reader blog site, will it be okay after the 26th or am I still going to need to get another apk file?
I still have not figured out why I can only read Kindle books in landscape mode and not portrait. I have checked everything. I do not have this problem in the ereader.

ShopperOnline, do you know how to delete a sample book that I downloaded? Also, can you remove books from the history in the ereader? It looks like every book that you look at pops up up there. I would like to keep that for only the books that I am currently reading.

Thanks.
MsGadget59 | New Friend | 12.24.2010 5:29 PM
ShopperOnline,

Thanks for the response. I thought I was crazy when the snow appeared on the home page. I finally found the apps zip file that you mentioned earlier, that's what put th snow on the kindle home screen. What I also find strange is that I have gotten one book to load, nothing else. I even went to Amazon and got a free book to install on the N3 and it still will not open. I will go bank and un-install and re-install from the file you mentioned and see what happens. This thing makes my head hurt!! ](*,)
ShopperOnline | Admirer 2 | 12.24.2010 5:07 PM
I agree! The reason why I've spent so much time on this app and lost so much sleep is because it is the one app I really want. Wouldn't have bought the Next3 if the Next2 could run it.

I got the Kindle app file I'm using now, from my phone. The old one was at the "eBook Reader Blog" If you google that phrase you should find the site. The file at that site might change eventually. I did report the problem and the fix there.

When you get to the site look on the panel on the left-side of the screen. Scroll down until you see the heading "How To Guides". Under that heading you will find a link that says "Android Reading Apps". If you click on that post, it will give you the link to the files and instructions about the Kindle app and several other reading apps.

As far as I know, the file on this site is the one that "snows". It's a live wallpaper. I've found that the Kindle app does not like live wallpaper, even when I had it on my home screen. The wallpaper will go away on 12/26.

You can "fix" the problem short term by going into your Nextbook general settings and changing the date to the 26th. When I tried it the app didn't work correctly because the date was off.

As far as the message about the books not downloading goes, when I had the other Amazon.apk file on my Next3 this is what worked for me:

I uninstalled the Kindle app.

Used the file manager to delete the Kindle folder from my SD card.

De-registered the device on the Amazon site.

Rebooted the Next3.

Went back in. Reinstalled the same Kindle .apk. Opened the app, registered it.

When I went into my archive. I did a long press on the book I wanted to read, not a tap. This brought up a menu. I selected "Download To Home" from the menu. When I went back to the home screen the book was there. When I tapped it to open it, it was really there. I did not get the message to remove it from the device and re-download it.
MsGadget59 | New Friend | 12.24.2010 4:08 PM
I amm having the same problem with installing the kindle app on the Nextbook 3. I saw the post of how to install, but where do I get the 'e-reader app' from? I have searched but come up nothing. I have loaded three separate kindle apps but each ine give me the message 'book invalid, please re-install'. Please help, I also like this device but with the kindle, this is non-negotiable.

I found the app, installed it but this version slows down the device and adds "snow" to the home screen. Now what could be wrong??
ShopperOnline | Admirer 2 | 12.24.2010 6:26 AM
Oh yeah!! This problem is the reason why I am still up. I'm also happy to read you have an Android phone.

The problem is the snowing live wallpaper Amazon felt the need to include in the Kindle for Android app. The good news is the snow will go away on Dec 26th. The bad news is the Next3, live wallpaper and the Kindle app are not on speaking terms. I had live wallpaper on my home page before. The Kindle app didn't like that either! So you see how it reacts when they both have to share the app!

Here's what I found online: Amazon released a patch to fix the problem. The patch is actually a new Kindle.apk. Problem is Google Market isn't on the Next3 so it won't update the app automatically.

This is what I did: I searched the Google Market on my Android smartphone for the Kindle app, re-downloaded and installed it. Then I went to my applications manager in my phone. I backed up the Kindle file. It's name is: "pak.apk" The version is: 2.0.2.102300153. After I backed it up to my SD card. I turned the phone completely off and removed the SD card. Put it in my computer. Then I connected the Next3 to the same computer with the USB cable. I found the file on the SD card in my computer. Copied it to the SD card in the Next3. Ejected the Next3 and the SD card from my computer. Put the SD card from the computer back in my phone while the phone was still off. Now I have the right file on the Next3.

Next I used the application settings to uninstall the old Kindle app from the Next3. Logged into my account at Amazon. Went to the page in my account that says "Manage your Kindle". De-registered my Next3. If you have a Kindle app on your phone, the line may read something like "(Your Name) Android 2". Just click the link in that line that says "De-register".

I then went back to the Next3. Got back into the file manager. Found the new Kindle file on the SD card in the device. Tapped on the new Kindle file and followed the on-screen instructions to install the app. Found the Kindle app on my App Page. Moved a copy of it to my home page and opened the app. Signed in with my Amazon e-mail and password to re-register it. The app sync'd itself and I was able to go to my archive and download the book I was reading before I was rudely interrupted earlier last night.

Of course I could read now, but, it's too late. I'm finally going to bed!! LOL

If someone is reading this who does not have an Android smartphone, unfortunately, I do not know how to get this file online. I will look around. If I find it I will post it.

I hope this helps you!
LibbyJan | New Friend | 12.24.2010 5:30 AM
This had been driving me absolutely insane for 3 days. I tried the methods listed on this post, but I was still not able to get Kindle to work properly on my Nextbook3. I was able to install Kindle, but it wouldn't open any of the Kindle books I'd purchased. They all showed up on the home page, but when I try to open them, I got the error message that said, "Invalid book! The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and then download it again."

I tried installing and uninstalling kindle several times and finally decided to try different release versions of kindle for Android. After days of trying to figure it out... I finally downloaded Kindle version 1.0.1.79520052 and it now works great. Yippee! I just thought I'd share incase anyone else was experiencing similar issues.
pistolpete52 | Admirer 2 | 12.23.2010 12:25 PM
Second Method To Transfer Your .APK (App) file - Connect The Next3 To Your Computer

Use the supplied USB cable and connect your Next3 to your computer.

Wait for the computer to see it. If you have an SD Card in the Next3. Two windows will pop up. One for the internal memory, the other for your SD card.

If the computer does not pop up the windows, double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop or click the "START" button, in the bottom left of your screen and choose "My Computer" from there. If you still don't see the icons for the Next3 and a new removable drive letter. Right click on the "My Computer" window and select "Refresh" from the menu that comes up. Double click on the new drive letter that comes up under "Removable drive". You can put the file on the window that says "Next3", but it might be harder to find in your internal memory.

Now find the file that says "com.amazon.kindle" which you downloaded on your computer. Use your mouse to right-click on it. Select "Copy" from the menu.

Go to the window which opened up when you double-clicked on the new drive letter in "My Computer". Use the mouse to right-click anywhere in that window and select "Paste" from the menu that come up. This will put the Kindle file on your the SD Card in your Next3.

Go down to the Menu Bar where your "START" button is. Move your mouse all the way to the left of the lower screen. You will see icons there. Move your mouse over them until you find the one that says "Remove device safely" or something like that. Double click on that icon. A small window will come up. Click on the first lint in that box. It should have the USB symbol on it. Then click the button that says "Stop". The computer will tell you when it is safe to remove Next3 from the computer by removing the cable from your computer. You can leave the end of the cable attached to your computer if you like, but immediately remove the end attached to your Next3.

After you remove your Next3 from the computer. Wait for the bar at the top of the Next3 to return to normal. Then click on the middle icon at the bottom of the Next3 screen. That will bring you to your Apps.

Click on the App that says "Explorer". It will bring up a page with two lines. If you DID NOT put the file in the window that said "NEXT3" when it was attached to your computer, tap the line that says "SD Card". You should see the file you transferred, "com.amazon.kindle", there.

Tap, "com.amazon.kindle" . Follow the directions to install the app. When you go back to your App screen you should see the Kindle app there.

If you want to move it to your home screen. Press on the icon until it moves and the home screen comes back. Without letting up pressure, move your finger and the icon wherever you want it on the screen. Then remove your finger.

You should be able to tap the icon on the home page or app screen and have the Kindle app come up. It will ask you to register with your Amazon e-mail and password. Then you can use the app. It should sync automatically.

All of our computers still run Windows XP. The wording may be different if youhave Vista or Win7. It will definetly be different if you have a MAC. If you have anymore questions, please ask. I hope I didn't forget any steps. Please excuse any typos.

Hope this helps.

I think that you may have answered a question that I had in a different thread. I'll be heading off to HH Gregg to purchase an SD card.
PATSYH | Inside Admirer | 12.23.2010 1:56 AM
:d/ =d> :-"

OH MY GOD!!!!! It worked--with the card-----I'm so excited! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.....
I'm still playing with the Kindle menu. Do categories show up? Probably too much to ask but I'm greedy..... I love that you can change the color of the letters and the backlighting. Shopperonline--you made my month. Hope you save those lengthly instructions (thank you for taking the time to do that during this busy holiday season) because I'm sure there will be others who need help. God bless you and have a safe and blessed Christmas and 2011.
ShopperOnline | Admirer 2 | 12.23.2010 12:49 AM
Second Method To Transfer Your .APK (App) file - Connect The Next3 To Your Computer

Wait for the computer to see it. If you have an SD Card in the Next3. Two windows will pop up. One for the internal memory, the other for your SD card.

If the computer does not pop up the windows, double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop or click the "START" button, in the bottom left of your screen and choose "My Computer" from there. If you still don't see the icons for the Next3 and a new removable drive letter. Right click on the "My Computer" window and select "Refresh" from the menu that comes up. Double click on the new drive letter that comes up under "Removable drive". You can put the file on the window that says "Next3", but it might be harder to find in your internal memory.

Now find the file that says "com.amazon.kindle" which you downloaded on your computer. Use your mouse to right-click on it. Select "Copy" from the menu.

Go to the window which opened up when you double-clicked on the new drive letter in "My Computer". Use the mouse to right-click anywhere in that window and select "Paste" from the menu that come up. This will put the Kindle file on your the SD Card in your Next3.

Go down to the Menu Bar where your "START" button is. Move your mouse all the way to the left of the lower screen. You will see icons there. Move your mouse over them until you find the one that says "Remove device safely" or something like that. Double click on that icon. A small window will come up. Click on the first lint in that box. It should have the USB symbol on it. Then click the button that says "Stop". The computer will tell you when it is safe to remove Next3 from the computer by removing the cable from your computer. You can leave the end of the cable attached to your computer if you like, but immediately remove the end attached to your Next3.

After you remove your Next3 from the computer. Wait for the bar at the top of the Next3 to return to normal. Then click on the middle icon at the bottom of the Next3 screen. That will bring you to your Apps.

Click on the App that says "Explorer". It will bring up a page with two lines. If you DID NOT put the file in the window that said "NEXT3" when it was attached to your computer, tap the line that says "SD Card". You should see the file you transferred, "com.amazon.kindle", there.

Tap, "com.amazon.kindle" . Follow the directions to install the app. When you go back to your App screen you should see the Kindle app there.

If you want to move it to your home screen. Press on the icon until it moves and the home screen comes back. Without letting up pressure, move your finger and the icon wherever you want it on the screen. Then remove your finger.

You should be able to tap the icon on the home page or app screen and have the Kindle app come up. It will ask you to register with your Amazon e-mail and password. Then you can use the app. It should sync automatically.

All of our computers still run Windows XP. The wording may be different if youhave Vista or Win7. It will definetly be different if you have a MAC. If you have anymore questions, please ask. I hope I didn't forget any steps. Please excuse any typos.

Hope this helps.
scarlett811 | Admirer 3 | 12.23.2010 12:46 AM
i have another reader but this is what i did. i googled kindle on my ereader. found the mobile app for android. i downloaded it directly onto my ereader. works great. i hope that helps
ShopperOnline | Admirer 2 | 12.23.2010 12:33 AM
Hi PATSYH:

I'll try to post the steps for you.

First, download the e-reader apps file to your computer. It's called "android-reading-apps.zip" Then open it on the computer.

If you tap on that folder you will see a folder that says "android-reading-apps".

In the list of the next folders you should see a folder called "eBook Readers".

Tapping on that folder will give you several reading apps. The Kindle app reads "com.amazon.kindle". This is the file you want. You can get it on your Next3 one of two ways.

First way by SD Card

Put an SD Card in your computer's SD Card slot. Wait for the computer to see it. If it does not, double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop or click the "START" button, in the bottom left of your screen and choose "My Computer" from there. If you still don't see the SD Card. Right click on the "My Computer" window and select "Refresh" from the menu that comes up. When you see the SD card click on it.

Now find the file that says "com.amazon.kindle" which you downloaded. Use your mouse to right-click on it. Select "Copy" from the menu.

Go to the window which opened up when you double-clicked on the SD Card icon in "My Computer". Use the mouse to right-click anywhere in that window and select "Paste" from the menu that come up. This will put the Kindle file on your SD Card.

Go down to the Menu Bar where your "START" button is. Move your mouse all the way to the left of the lower screen. You will see icons there. Move your mouse over them until you find the one that says "Remove device safely" or something like that. Double click on that icon. A small window will come up. Click on the SD Card line, then click the button that says "Stop". The computer will tell you when it is safe to remove the SD card from your computer.

After you remove the card, put it into your Next3. Wait for the bar at the top of the Next3 to return to normal. Then click on the middle icon at the bottom of the Next3 screen. That will bring you to your Apps.

Click on the App that says "Explorer". It will bring up a page with two line. Tap the line that says "SD Card". You should see the file you transferred, "com.amazon.kindle", there.

You can also move the app to your Next3 by attaching it to your computer. I'll post those instructions next.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Inside Admirer
PATSYH

Nextbook 3 help re Kindle app

I've read everyone's posts but I'm still confused and frustrated.
Got my Nextbook3 and charged it overnight--no problem with getting the right city and receiving email. I would be so grateful if someone could help with the Kindle download. I tried the ebook forum apk download--message said it didn't support this platform. I tried putting in a SD card-no luck downloading anything. Tried downloading a zip file (whatever that is) on my computer but my computer wouldn't open it. I also tried the mini opera browser but "it wouldn't parse" after downloading. Aaarrghh. #-o
I really like this tablet but am so frustrated at this point.
Can someone walk me through it and assume I am not tech savvy in any way.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
ShopperOnline

RE: Nextbook 3 help re Kindle app

Hi PATSYH:

I'll try to post the steps for you.

First, download the e-reader apps file to your computer. It's called "android-reading-apps.zip" Then open it on the computer.

If you tap on that folder you will see a folder that says "android-reading-apps".

In the list of the next folders you should see a folder called "eBook Readers".

Tapping on that folder will give you several reading apps. The Kindle app reads "com.amazon.kindle". This is the file you want. You can get it on your Next3 one of two ways.

First way by SD Card

Put an SD Card in your computer's SD Card slot. Wait for the computer to see it. If it does not, double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop or click the "START" button, in the bottom left of your screen and choose "My Computer" from there. If you still don't see the SD Card. Right click on the "My Computer" window and select "Refresh" from the menu that comes up. When you see the SD card click on it.

Now find the file that says "com.amazon.kindle" which you downloaded. Use your mouse to right-click on it. Select "Copy" from the menu.

Go to the window which opened up when you double-clicked on the SD Card icon in "My Computer". Use the mouse to right-click anywhere in that window and select "Paste" from the menu that come up. This will put the Kindle file on your SD Card.

Go down to the Menu Bar where your "START" button is. Move your mouse all the way to the left of the lower screen. You will see icons there. Move your mouse over them until you find the one that says "Remove device safely" or something like that. Double click on that icon. A small window will come up. Click on the SD Card line, then click the button that says "Stop". The computer will tell you when it is safe to remove the SD card from your computer.

After you remove the card, put it into your Next3. Wait for the bar at the top of the Next3 to return to normal. Then click on the middle icon at the bottom of the Next3 screen. That will bring you to your Apps.

Click on the App that says "Explorer". It will bring up a page with two line. Tap the line that says "SD Card". You should see the file you transferred, "com.amazon.kindle", there.

You can also move the app to your Next3 by attaching it to your computer. I'll post those instructions next.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 3
scarlett811

i have another reader but this is what i did. i googled kindle on my ereader. found the mobile app for android. i downloaded it directly onto my ereader. works great. i hope that helps
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
ShopperOnline

Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Inside Admirer
PATSYH

:d/ =d> :-"

OH MY GOD!!!!! It worked--with the card-----I'm so excited! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.....
I'm still playing with the Kindle menu. Do categories show up? Probably too much to ask but I'm greedy..... I love that you can change the color of the letters and the backlighting. Shopperonline--you made my month. Hope you save those lengthly instructions (thank you for taking the time to do that during this busy holiday season) because I'm sure there will be others who need help. God bless you and have a safe and blessed Christmas and 2011.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
pistolpete52

Hope this helps.

I think that you may have answered a question that I had in a different thread. I'll be heading off to HH Gregg to purchase an SD card.
Please use plain text.
New Friend
LibbyJan

Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
ShopperOnline

Oh yeah!! This problem is the reason why I am still up. I'm also happy to read you have an Android phone.

The problem is the snowing live wallpaper Amazon felt the need to include in the Kindle for Android app. The good news is the snow will go away on Dec 26th. The bad news is the Next3, live wallpaper and the Kindle app are not on speaking terms. I had live wallpaper on my home page before. The Kindle app didn't like that either! So you see how it reacts when they both have to share the app!

Here's what I found online: Amazon released a patch to fix the problem. The patch is actually a new Kindle.apk. Problem is Google Market isn't on the Next3 so it won't update the app automatically.

This is what I did: I searched the Google Market on my Android smartphone for the Kindle app, re-downloaded and installed it. Then I went to my applications manager in my phone. I backed up the Kindle file. It's name is: "pak.apk" The version is: 2.0.2.102300153. After I backed it up to my SD card. I turned the phone completely off and removed the SD card. Put it in my computer. Then I connected the Next3 to the same computer with the USB cable. I found the file on the SD card in my computer. Copied it to the SD card in the Next3. Ejected the Next3 and the SD card from my computer. Put the SD card from the computer back in my phone while the phone was still off. Now I have the right file on the Next3.

Next I used the application settings to uninstall the old Kindle app from the Next3. Logged into my account at Amazon. Went to the page in my account that says "Manage your Kindle". De-registered my Next3. If you have a Kindle app on your phone, the line may read something like "(Your Name) Android 2". Just click the link in that line that says "De-register".

I then went back to the Next3. Got back into the file manager. Found the new Kindle file on the SD card in the device. Tapped on the new Kindle file and followed the on-screen instructions to install the app. Found the Kindle app on my App Page. Moved a copy of it to my home page and opened the app. Signed in with my Amazon e-mail and password to re-register it. The app sync'd itself and I was able to go to my archive and download the book I was reading before I was rudely interrupted earlier last night.

Of course I could read now, but, it's too late. I'm finally going to bed!! LOL

If someone is reading this who does not have an Android smartphone, unfortunately, I do not know how to get this file online. I will look around. If I find it I will post it.

I hope this helps you!
Please use plain text.
New Friend
MsGadget59

I amm having the same problem with installing the kindle app on the Nextbook 3. I saw the post of how to install, but where do I get the 'e-reader app' from? I have searched but come up nothing. I have loaded three separate kindle apps but each ine give me the message 'book invalid, please re-install'. Please help, I also like this device but with the kindle, this is non-negotiable.

I found the app, installed it but this version slows down the device and adds "snow" to the home screen. Now what could be wrong??
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
ShopperOnline

I agree! The reason why I've spent so much time on this app and lost so much sleep is because it is the one app I really want. Wouldn't have bought the Next3 if the Next2 could run it.

I got the Kindle app file I'm using now, from my phone. The old one was at the "eBook Reader Blog" If you google that phrase you should find the site. The file at that site might change eventually. I did report the problem and the fix there.

When you get to the site look on the panel on the left-side of the screen. Scroll down until you see the heading "How To Guides". Under that heading you will find a link that says "Android Reading Apps". If you click on that post, it will give you the link to the files and instructions about the Kindle app and several other reading apps.

As far as I know, the file on this site is the one that "snows". It's a live wallpaper. I've found that the Kindle app does not like live wallpaper, even when I had it on my home screen. The wallpaper will go away on 12/26.

You can "fix" the problem short term by going into your Nextbook general settings and changing the date to the 26th. When I tried it the app didn't work correctly because the date was off.

As far as the message about the books not downloading goes, when I had the other Amazon.apk file on my Next3 this is what worked for me:

I uninstalled the Kindle app.

Used the file manager to delete the Kindle folder from my SD card.

De-registered the device on the Amazon site.

Rebooted the Next3.

Went back in. Reinstalled the same Kindle .apk. Opened the app, registered it.

When I went into my archive. I did a long press on the book I wanted to read, not a tap. This brought up a menu. I selected "Download To Home" from the menu. When I went back to the home screen the book was there. When I tapped it to open it, it was really there. I did not get the message to remove it from the device and re-download it.
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
46 Replies
12.23.2010 12:04 AM
0 Smiles
23 in Conversation

How can we help? Call or email us anytime... really!

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...