Kikerson | New Friend | 12.06.2012 2:03 AM
After having played with the LG840g and tried out all the various icons, I have found out, accidentally because my minutes were vanishing even when the phone was not in use, that if you set it up so that you can access your email via the email icon on the screen, Tracfone will charge you even if your are connected to your router and, as I just mentioned, even if you are not using the phone. However, if you connect to your router, use the phone's browser icon, and go to your email account via its regular website, no charges occur. Is this correct or is this just my phone? Btw, I uninstalled my email again and the phone no longer counts down my minutes. This was not explained either by HSN when they introduced the phone nor is it mentioned anywhere in the manual. What gives?
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Mimi7880 | New Friend | 10.28.2013 2:31 PM
I am having the same problem with my minutes depleting even when I am NOT accessing email. Have been doing a trial over the past few days and notice that I am "bleeding" minutes at the rate of 2-5 per day, with no calls made or received, no texts sent or received and no access of browser or email. Is there something enabled that is draining my minutes???
SCOOBYUTE | New Friend | 12.22.2012 1:45 AM
I've been connecting to my home wifi for a couple of weeks now. All of a sudden I'm having the same problem as Kikerson, with my minutes disappearing or being deducted. It's happening sometimes. But it began last night. Still trying to figure it out. I may have to delete and reenter my email as Kikerson did. I'll let you know what happens. I always hit the wifi button first. I notice, tho my email setting changes from "wlan" to "tracfone wap". Not sure why the "wlan" won't stay/stick.
KERIGA | Inspirer 1 | 12.06.2012 7:19 AM

I'm not certain I understand your questions, Kikerson, but what I can tell you is that if you were accessing e-mail and it was costing you minutes, then you were not connected to a hotspot or your home network via wi-fi. That's why it's imperative that you check first to see that wi-fi is on BEFORE you open your web browser. If you're losing minutes, there's something wrong - either with your wireless network or with the phone or possibly both.

As for going "to your email account via its regular website, no charges occur..." Again - if you're not connected or improperly connected to wi-fi, you'll be charged minutes.

Furthermore, you indicated that "...I uninstalled my email again and the phone no longer counts down my minutes..." By that, do you mean that your total isn't decreasing? If so, then it appears you've solved the problem yourself. Whatever you did by reinstalling your e-mail protocol corrected the original glitch. You're not losing minutes because you're connected to wi-fi via router through your Home Network. That's the new feature of the LG 840G: 3G wi-fi connection that allows you to web browse, read e-mail, shop, play online games, etc. without using your TracFone minutes. This way, you're not depleting your total, but ONLY IF AND WHEN you're connected to wi-fi. If you went directly to the browser and opened it to shop on HSN, for example, and wi-fi wasn't on, if you spent half an hour on the site, you'd have 30 fewer minutes when you're done.

In other words, think of going from Point A to Point B on a Toll Road. That would be the Browser and the toll you pay would be the TracFone minutes deducted from your total. Now imagine that you're able to travel the same distance down a parallel road just as quickly, but this other road taking you from Point A to Point B didn't have a toll; it was absolutely free. That road would be the 3G wi-fi connection through a hotspot or your home network. That connection allows you access to the Browser, your gateway to whatever site you wish to visit online, but the difference is it's free. You won't be charged TracFone minutes for the wi-fi connection.

Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
New Friend
Kikerson

LG840g email icon

After having played with the LG840g and tried out all the various icons, I have found out, accidentally because my minutes were vanishing even when the phone was not in use, that if you set it up so that you can access your email via the email icon on the screen, Tracfone will charge you even if your are connected to your router and, as I just mentioned, even if you are not using the phone. However, if you connect to your router, use the phone's browser icon, and go to your email account via its regular website, no charges occur. Is this correct or is this just my phone? Btw, I uninstalled my email again and the phone no longer counts down my minutes. This was not explained either by HSN when they introduced the phone nor is it mentioned anywhere in the manual. What gives?
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 1
KERIGA

RE: LG840g email icon

I'm not certain I understand your questions, Kikerson, but what I can tell you is that if you were accessing e-mail and it was costing you minutes, then you were not connected to a hotspot or your home network via wi-fi. That's why it's imperative that you check first to see that wi-fi is on BEFORE you open your web browser. If you're losing minutes, there's something wrong - either with your wireless network or with the phone or possibly both.

As for going "to your email account via its regular website, no charges occur..." Again - if you're not connected or improperly connected to wi-fi, you'll be charged minutes.

Furthermore, you indicated that "...I uninstalled my email again and the phone no longer counts down my minutes..." By that, do you mean that your total isn't decreasing? If so, then it appears you've solved the problem yourself. Whatever you did by reinstalling your e-mail protocol corrected the original glitch. You're not losing minutes because you're connected to wi-fi via router through your Home Network. That's the new feature of the LG 840G: 3G wi-fi connection that allows you to web browse, read e-mail, shop, play online games, etc. without using your TracFone minutes. This way, you're not depleting your total, but ONLY IF AND WHEN you're connected to wi-fi. If you went directly to the browser and opened it to shop on HSN, for example, and wi-fi wasn't on, if you spent half an hour on the site, you'd have 30 fewer minutes when you're done.

In other words, think of going from Point A to Point B on a Toll Road. That would be the Browser and the toll you pay would be the TracFone minutes deducted from your total. Now imagine that you're able to travel the same distance down a parallel road just as quickly, but this other road taking you from Point A to Point B didn't have a toll; it was absolutely free. That road would be the 3G wi-fi connection through a hotspot or your home network. That connection allows you access to the Browser, your gateway to whatever site you wish to visit online, but the difference is it's free. You won't be charged TracFone minutes for the wi-fi connection.

Please use plain text.
New Friend
SCOOBYUTE

I've been connecting to my home wifi for a couple of weeks now. All of a sudden I'm having the same problem as Kikerson, with my minutes disappearing or being deducted. It's happening sometimes. But it began last night. Still trying to figure it out. I may have to delete and reenter my email as Kikerson did. I'll let you know what happens. I always hit the wifi button first. I notice, tho my email setting changes from "wlan" to "tracfone wap". Not sure why the "wlan" won't stay/stick.
Please use plain text.
New Friend
Mimi7880

I am having the same problem with my minutes depleting even when I am NOT accessing email. Have been doing a trial over the past few days and notice that I am "bleeding" minutes at the rate of 2-5 per day, with no calls made or received, no texts sent or received and no access of browser or email. Is there something enabled that is draining my minutes???
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
3 Replies
12.06.2012 2:03 AM
0 Smiles
4 in Conversation

to know us

is to love us

FlexPay: Indulge today

See something you love? With FlexPay you can order now and pay in easy installments. (Plus there's no interest & no fees. Sweet!)

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...