nanman | Admirer 2 | 02.02.2009 11:05 AM
Hello All. There is a web site called CaringConsumer dot c that you can check if you are curious about any company's cruelty-free commitment. Perhaps it's part of your beauty buying decision.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
nanman | Admirer 2 | 02.14.2009 11:25 AM
Me too Mistic! I need cleanser, eye cream and serum and I'm holding out until the 27th and can't wait to try M. Asam. When I e-mailed the company and asked very pointedly about animal testing they got right back to me (from Germany) with a very satisfying answer. I can't say the same about Dr. Graf - the other company I was considering purchasing from. They never responded at all.
Mistic101 | Admirer 2 | 02.14.2009 4:49 AM
What a coincidence IrishSea - I was just thinking about my Andrew stuff last night. My husband and I are using the Secure and HS&N. I'll see what I can find out. Can you explain what USP means please?

I'm also trying to find out about M. Asam which will probably be a challenge since it's a German company. I'd like to try some of these products but will stick to the ones I know are cruelty free if necessary. There are honestly so many cosmetics companies that don't engage in these practices that we still have a lot of options.

You have to draw your own conclusions if a company is evasive on the subject. Those who have nothing to hide want everyone to know.

I have just been searchng up on M Asam, as I am always looking to try new things. They will be up with a TS the end of the month. They do no animal testing in any phase of their products or ingredients.
CaseyPants | Admirer | 02.14.2009 4:34 AM
IRISH SEA, You seem to know alot about this USP thing and I heard about it as well a while back. It only makes sense to me to buy products that have this seal since natural products are not regulated by any agency. Do you have a recommendation of a company that is certified or that you use and trust? Thanks so much!
nanman | Admirer 2 | 02.05.2009 1:23 PM
I spoke out of turn a few posts ago. I've been doing some reading about The Body Shop and learned that they are now owned by L'Oreal. I just didn't know. Check out L'Oreal's policies on the matter if you care to and keep in mind that L'Oreal owns Lancome among others. Conversely, Bath & Body Works is now on PETA's "Do Not Test on Animals" list. The last thing I want to do is spread misinformation and I apologize.
IRISHSEA | Admirer 2 | 02.05.2009 10:19 AM
Hi nanman, USP stand for United States Pharmacopeia. It's nongovernment, not for profit, independent experts that "USP sets standards for the quality, purity, strength, and consistency of these products–critical to the public health. USP's standards are recognized and used in more than 130 countries around the globe. These standards have helped to ensure public health throughout the world for close to 200 years."

You can google or just go to their site USP dot org. They make sure the products/ingredients are what they say they are;no added byproducts like lead, mercury, etc., the labs are clean, instruments/machines maintained, the amt/strength are what's listed and bought from reputable sources. Plus other things to make sure what's in the product is exactly what the company states in the right amt, etc.

These companies allow the USP to come and inspect without notice and as often as the USP wants. My Dr. will only allow me take USP stamped Vitamins and that's all he takes and his fellow Dr.s do, and they're from Johns Hopkins. So...that's good enough for me.

A company can say they use some ingredients that are USP verified, but once it gets to their company it doesn't mean they keep it that way because they can mix, add,subtract, do whatever they want to that ingredient, or keep that USP ingredient intact but use other supplements/ingredients in a product which they procured that weren't USP verfied.

When I called Lessmans Business, Procaps, they told me thats why they cannot put USP on their finished product, because some or most of their ingredients aren't USP verified and the USP doesn't have access to their lab.

Andrews isn't the only company that does this, tons don't. But the ones that do have nothing to hide(not saying Andrew does-my DH takes his Complete but soon is changing to another brand, Natures Code, I think)and welcome inspections.

Your right about the companies who welcome the USP. If you see the initials USP on the front label, then you know you're geting the pure ingredients, the right dosage, sterile enviroment, open evaluation of onsite manufacturing and regulations.
=!s>

o:smileyhappy: o:smileyhappy: o:smileyhappy: o:smileyhappy: o:smileyhappy: =f>
nanman | Admirer 2 | 02.05.2009 9:20 AM
What a coincidence IrishSea - I was just thinking about my Andrew stuff last night. My husband and I are using the Secure and HS&N. I'll see what I can find out. Can you explain what USP means please?

I'm also trying to find out about M. Asam which will probably be a challenge since it's a German company. I'd like to try some of these products but will stick to the ones I know are cruelty free if necessary. There are honestly so many cosmetics companies that don't engage in these practices that we still have a lot of options.

You have to draw your own conclusions if a company is evasive on the subject. Those who have nothing to hide want everyone to know.
IRISHSEA | Admirer 2 | 02.05.2009 3:01 AM
I agree! There's also the Vitamins and Supplements we buy. They contract out from other countries for their sources of ingredients. I called Andrews business and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me their exact sources they buy from. It takes detective work to find out. I know he doesn't put USP on his products. His CS told me some ingredients are USP but they can't put USP if others are not. I'd like to know about the companies from Japan and China where they get and how they test their products before selling them to companies.

nanman | Admirer 2 | 02.05.2009 12:45 AM
This is true IrishSea. I already knew Lancome still tests on animals too - just wanted HSN to know we're awake out here in Consumerland. I'm trying to make sure both Serious Skincare and Dr. Graf's company do not contract out for animal testing either. Just because a company says they don't do the testing doesn't mean they aren't paying someone else to. I'll be needing eyecream soon - need some answers.
IRISHSEA | Admirer 2 | 02.05.2009 12:31 AM
You all are correct in thinking because a company states "they" don't do testing or their "finished product" is free from testing, means the ingredients they get from other sources very well does testing, or they would clearly state no animals testing on any ingredient they use in their products. It's the other guys that do the testing, not us-excuse :-& [-x

Poor furbabies
[-o<

stargazer23 | Admirer 2 | 02.03.2009 10:17 PM
I fefuse to buy any product that I know has been tested on animals, think how painful this has to be for the poor animal involved, breaks my heart.
nanman | Admirer 2 | 02.03.2009 6:07 PM
Just an FYI. I emailed CS to ask about Lancome's animal testing policy and they apologized for not having the information and referred me to Lancome's site. When I have made inquiries about SSC and Dr. Graf they were able to put their fingers on the info. Both of those companies do not do any animal testing. Hmmmm......
nanman | Admirer 2 | 02.02.2009 4:56 PM
Hello 2468. Yes, that's my understanding too. All of Bath & Body works products may not be tested on animals but if any in a company's line up are, the company cannot be considered Cruelty Free. The Body Shop is pretty above-board on most if not all social issues I believe.
2468 | Admirer 2 | 02.02.2009 4:52 PM
Hello jazzy. I'm not an expert on the subject but am trying to learn as I go. I make the same assumption when I see "Finished Product Not Tested on Animals" as I recently noticed on one of my Bath & Body Works lotions. The conclusion being that components of the product are or may be tested on animals. There are many companies that do not test on animals and I will support them.

The last time I was at 'The Body Shop'not to be confused with Bath & Body works,which I always get mixed up..I was told that 'the body shop' does not use any animal testing on any part of their product,but that 'bath & body' does.
nanman | Admirer 2 | 02.02.2009 1:48 PM
Hello jazzy. I'm not an expert on the subject but am trying to learn as I go. I make the same assumption when I see "Finished Product Not Tested on Animals" as I recently noticed on one of my Bath & Body Works lotions. The conclusion being that components of the product are or may be tested on animals. There are many companies that do not test on animals and I will support them.
jazzy333 | Inspirer 2 | 02.02.2009 1:31 PM
do u know alot on this subject? I have a question maybe u can help me with. Some products will say "this finished product not tested on animals" so I guess that means the ingredients that are used are tested on animals? So in reality they do test on animals, I have seen this on several hair care products.
Add your reply here...
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in. Post a Reply
Admirer 2
nanman

Animal Testing

Hello All. There is a web site called CaringConsumer dot c that you can check if you are curious about any company's cruelty-free commitment. Perhaps it's part of your beauty buying decision.
Please use plain text.
Inspirer 2
jazzy333

RE: Animal Testing

do u know alot on this subject? I have a question maybe u can help me with. Some products will say "this finished product not tested on animals" so I guess that means the ingredients that are used are tested on animals? So in reality they do test on animals, I have seen this on several hair care products.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
nanman

Please use plain text.
Admirer 2

The last time I was at 'The Body Shop'not to be confused with Bath & Body works,which I always get mixed up..I was told that 'the body shop' does not use any animal testing on any part of their product,but that 'bath & body' does.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
nanman

Hello 2468. Yes, that's my understanding too. All of Bath & Body works products may not be tested on animals but if any in a company's line up are, the company cannot be considered Cruelty Free. The Body Shop is pretty above-board on most if not all social issues I believe.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
nanman

Just an FYI. I emailed CS to ask about Lancome's animal testing policy and they apologized for not having the information and referred me to Lancome's site. When I have made inquiries about SSC and Dr. Graf they were able to put their fingers on the info. Both of those companies do not do any animal testing. Hmmmm......
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
stargazer23

I fefuse to buy any product that I know has been tested on animals, think how painful this has to be for the poor animal involved, breaks my heart.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
IRISHSEA

You all are correct in thinking because a company states "they" don't do testing or their "finished product" is free from testing, means the ingredients they get from other sources very well does testing, or they would clearly state no animals testing on any ingredient they use in their products. It's the other guys that do the testing, not us-excuse :-& [-x

Poor furbabies
[-o<

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
nanman

This is true IrishSea. I already knew Lancome still tests on animals too - just wanted HSN to know we're awake out here in Consumerland. I'm trying to make sure both Serious Skincare and Dr. Graf's company do not contract out for animal testing either. Just because a company says they don't do the testing doesn't mean they aren't paying someone else to. I'll be needing eyecream soon - need some answers.
Please use plain text.
Admirer 2
IRISHSEA

I agree! There's also the Vitamins and Supplements we buy. They contract out from other countries for their sources of ingredients. I called Andrews business and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me their exact sources they buy from. It takes detective work to find out. I know he doesn't put USP on his products. His CS told me some ingredients are USP but they can't put USP if others are not. I'd like to know about the companies from Japan and China where they get and how they test their products before selling them to companies.

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
Please use plain text.
Conversation Stats
15 Replies
02.02.2009 11:05 AM
0 Smiles
7 in Conversation

How can we help? Call or email us anytime... really!

Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox For the best hsn.com shopping experience, please consider updating your browser to a newer version. We recommend Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, or Firefox...